Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

May 2016 Member Spotlight: Kitakima

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

May 2016 Member Spotlight: Kitakima

Post by cooley1103 »

He may be quiet, but this member has been caching for a while and has found some great caches and friends over the years. We need your help, when he filled out the questionnaire, he could not think of anything for Question 19, so let’s help him by telling us your best story of caching with him. Join me as we meet Kitakima.

Interview Date : 4/23/16
Caching Name : Kitakima

1. How did you become involved in geocaching. When did you start?
I had known about geocaching for several years before starting the game. Back in 2005, while living in Minnesota, I bought my first GPS, not because I needed one, but because I am fascinated by geography and it was an exciting electronic gadget that told me where on Earth I was. I soon found out that I do not need an electronic gadget to tell me where I am because I already know that, and the GPS was put away. After moving the Maryland, I came across my GPS and decided to put it to use and try this geocaching game. My first few cache searches were unsuccessful, so I put my GPS away again. (I later learned those which I had been looking for had bad coordinates) About a year later I moved north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I tried again, and this time I had success. This was in March of 2008, and it all took off from there.

2. How did you choose your caching name?
My caching name comes from the Lenni Lenape (Delaware) Indian language. Somewhere far back in my family tree I have a Lenape ancestor. The name means “Great Chief.”

3. How many caches have you found so far?
5,334 +/- I still need to log a few. :-)

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I use a Magellan Triton 1500 as my handheld device and a Garmin Nuvi 500 for on road navigation.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
I use Magellan’s VantagePoint software to load my Tritan and GSAK to load the Nuvi.
I also use c:geo on my Android phone while in the field for quick cache information and to keep track of found caches.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
I like to seek out traditionals and virtuals the most, but I will do all types. A well put together puzzle is always fun.

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
Puzzles are of course the most challenging mentally. Especially when all that I can do is stare blankly at the computer screen and wonder what on Earth I am supposed to do with the given information. The most physically challenging cache that I have done was the “Thousand Steps Cache” (GC59AF) near Mount Union, PA. A half mile long staircase gets pretty tiring after a while.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found? Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?
“Maryland Heights (Part II)” (GCGZV1) The hike to the top is a challenge, but the view from the heights is really awesome and well worth it.

Nealin at Cunningham Falls

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
A tampon (the twelve year old boy I was with was traumatized)

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
Currently, I would like to fill my Difficulty/Terrain grid and complete the Jasmer challenge. I am also trying to find a cache in every county. That goal will probably never be completed, but hey, it’s the journey that counts.

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I have placed 22 caches so far. I currently don’t have any goals set, but have many great ideas.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?
Know what kinds of cache hides you would like to find before hiding a cache. If you would enjoy finding it, chances are, others will too. Consider parking as well. I have found several caches along roadways where there really was no safe place to park a vehicle without having to block the roadway or intrude on private property.

13. How often do you go caching?
I go caching at least every other weekend, but it often occurs that I go much more frequently than that.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Do not let a lot of DNFs (Did Not Find) discourage you. Once you get use to the game, you will better understand how people think and hide things. On the other hand, you will still miss some. Even “easy” ones.

He looks so much younger without his glasses

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
Yes. I have finished every CAM since 2012. I really enjoy the great locations that they are placed in and the comradery of caching with friends.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?
Yes. I have a collection of about 54 geocoins. I really like the detailed designs of the Minotaur and Torc of Cernunnos Geocoins as well as the designs of the Geowoodstock XIII and Allegeheny State Park Geobash X geocoins.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
I carry some swag, though I usually don’t do trades. My caching pack also contains bug spray, sun screen, poison ivy relief spray (though i don’t need it personally), lots of pens, a snake bite kit (hopefully I never need this), flashlights, a blacklight, magnetic tool, batteries, battery chargers (both wall plug and vehicle plug), binoculars, and a pair of handcuffs that I found while caching. I also carry a golf ball retreiver in my vehicle.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
In the summer of 2014 I took a 4 week cross counrty road trip to Colorado and back. This trip was quite a few months in the planning and I made sure that I found a cache in every county along my route. I specificly looked for caches that had at least a few favorites points, but also ones that looked like they were in interesting locations, virtual caches, and webcams. I really enjoyed visiting the many fascinating places that I found along the way and seeing some great sights. This trip also included three oldies; “Mingo” (GC30), “Missouri’s Frist - Watts Mill” (GC37), and “Tarryall” (GC18).

Kitakima at the atomic cannon

19. What is your best caching story?

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
Being an explorer at heart, I really enjoy see the places that geocaching takes me. It was through geocaching that I have gotten to know the four state area of Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia, and anytime that I am on vacation in any part of this country, I can discover some really fascinating places that I would have otherwise never know about.

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
I like to go kayaking and tent camping. Through geocaching I also have gotten into spelunking. I also have enjoyed woodworking and restoring antique farm tractors, and I also have an interest in model railroading.

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t. What is the answer?
Bonus Questions: none
Msmit002
MGS Member

Re: May 2016 Member Spotlight: Kitakima

Post by Msmit002 »

Very good! Since I haven't met you yet (maybe the CAM Picnic) I can't help you with #19. But I'll bet there are some good one's out there. :wink:
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Nice writeup! Out of the 16 or 17 I've found, "Maryland Heights (Part II)" is my favorite virtual cache in Maryland. What a view!!
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Awesome write up. Glad we got to know more about you. Even though we have cached with you plenty of times you still learn more about somebody through their spotlight. See you on the trails.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

Hi Nealin, Its nice to meet you LOL I dont know why I could never remember your given name but now that I know more about you I think I should be able to remember it :?
I enjoyed your spotlight & thought your geonic was interesting. The next time we see each other I have some questions about your Indian ancestry. Way back when I was still in school I started studying about some of the tribes. Where I grew up there were Algonquine burial grounds back in the early 1800's. Though they originated mainly in Quebec many of the tribes moved to the Illinois are south & west of Lake Michigan.

It will be great to chat about some of this.

Til then, thanks for sharing. See you then..... Dalene (Mother Wolf)