Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

December 2018 Member Spotlight: lostsole68Interview Date : 1

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

December 2018 Member Spotlight: lostsole68Interview Date : 1

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Well, this interview will probably be my last opportunity to recognize an outstanding member of our geocaching society here in Maryland. I'll be stepping down from my current position as the Public Relations Officer, and I do so with some great sadness that I could not continue to carry out the responsibilities of the office and manage my home situation. However, QUE3NBE3 is another outstanding member of our community that will serve our society well. She should publish her Member spotlight as soon as she can so that all of the membership can get to know her.

That all said, collecting these Member Spotlights has been of the highlights of my duties during the past year. Getting to know other geocachers better and to just see what makes them tick has been a real pleasure. Below you'll find the spotlight of lostsole68. Brian was one of the first MGS Member that I asked to complete this write-up, and he's come through like a champion (unlike the winner of the Rookie Cacher of the year for 2018 who has yet to complete his write-up - chuckle, chuckle. I just had to get one more jab in :doh: :whistle: :whistle: :applause: :applause: :applause: ) You will thoroughly enjoy getting to know lostsole68 a little better.

Interview Date : 12/01/18

Caching Name : lostsole68

1. How did you become involved in geocaching. When did you start?

I found an article online that mention a GPS based hunt and thought this could be something to get my son and I hiking and biking. We joined on 08/15/2011, but I did not have a GPS at the time so I used Google Maps, printed out pages and used triangulation to pinpoint a location. My son (dstallz) and I found 3 in 2011 and 2 in 2012 but we stopped looking until I saw another article about a trackable sent into space. There were two events nearby to celebrate Rick Mastracchio taking the TB to the international space station. The first event (GC4QD53) I attended with a friend but could not figure where everyone was, but the funny thing was I am in a picture that was posted in a log for the event. On the following day there was another event that I almost didn't go to after the first one. This event had bar-b-que so I figured the worst outcome would be a good meal. When I showed up for this event the staff told me there was a group in the "garage," and I found a friendly group that invited me to the Holiday Party. dstallz and I went to the 2013 MGS Holiday Swap and had such a good time that we started caching again. Another 12 caches, this time with my TomTom auto GPS, were found before a friend gave us a Garmin eTrex 20. We were now officially Geocaching :)

2. How did you choose your caching name?

It was a gaming name I used as a joke because I was always barefoot and wandering.

3. How many caches have you found so far?

Officially (on the site) I have found 3,019 finds, but I have iPads full of photos and feel comfortable with saying there are 200-300+ caches I still need to log.

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?

I use an android phone with c:geo but also have a Garmin eTrex 20

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?

An android phone, an iPad and sometimes a laptop can be seen with me while caching.
Project-GC, TBScan, GPS Averaging, GeoCache Calculator, WhereYouGo, GeocachingToolbox.com, Rumkin.com and Google searches are some of the software I use regularly. I am hoping to have time to learn the benefits of GSAK and Cachetur.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?

The answer would be yes. Any cache that works for the time allotted is good for me.

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?

It depends on the level of coffee in the bloodstream. Some puzzles still have me stumped but tree-climbs don't always work well with my weight.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found?
(Feel free to list a favorite for each type of cache) Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?

• GC1PWNV - Antietam - The Bloodiest Day
    GC12QX4 - Marylands Most Haunted: The Secret Room
    GCD1A0 - Play it Safe!
    GC35BJ7 - The Labyrinth Road Labyrinth

GC2HN2H - Raiders of the Cache
    GC6YY08 - Don't Freq Out GC4A4F3 - The Female Stranger (AHS No. 4)
    GC6R409 - In/Under/Up/Out

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?

Vaginal Medication or Jet Lighters

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can't wait to do?

Complete my D/T grid

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?

Official or Real count?

I have listed under my account:
  • Traditional Geocache - 143
    Multi-cache - 2
    All Event Cache Types - 18
    Event Cache - 16
    Cache In Trash Out Event - 2
    Mystery Cache - 9
    Lab Cache - 1

I also have 12+ hidden that have not been published (some may never be) and another 10 published under other names.

I don't have a current hiding goal, Just looking for interesting locations and trying to remember where I hid contains already.

There is a group of us that are trying to maintain older Maryland caches if cacher want to adopt the to GPSofMD (Geocaching Preservation Society of Maryland). We don't want to see the older or unique caches, in Maryland, get archived because the CO is not maintaining them.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?

Find some caches. I don't want to set a number but if you really read the rules (https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.p ... book&id=19) and use common sense you can't be that far off.
I see a need for all types of caches and like to find some history or sights to bring someone to, but I also see why a LP or GR cache is ok sometimes.
The most important part is to make sure you coords are accurate. Remember, Google map is your friend after getting an averaged set of coordinates.

13. How often do you go caching?

As often as I can

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?

Bring a pen and cache in a way that you enjoy it.
Join the Maryland Geocaching Society (It's Free) at http://www.mdgps.org/.
If you want more information, attend an event or events. They can be easily found in the top right corner of the Geocaching.com dashboard page. You can get to it by clicking on your name in the top right corner of their page or go to https://www.geocaching.com/account/dashboard.
You can also get to it find it on the front page of the MGS page.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?

I have completed a few CAMs and find older CAM caches when I am near them and I also have hidden a CAM cache. I really enjoy the locations with the history or scenery but the travel to get there is great with a group.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?

Yes I do, and I am going broke. My favorites are trails that I earned but also coins that have meaning to me in my muggle life.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?

A pen, knife, flashlight and extra batteries are on every trip. My pack has magnets, UV light, Wire, string, replacement logs.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?

There are many memorable trips that I went on with cachers and non-cachers that took me to cliffside overlooks at sunset to grave sites of signers of the Declaration of Independence.

19. What is your best caching story?

On 1/7/17, RMNedrow and I drove to Maine and back on a whim. It started as a trip to New Jersey on the first weekend of the year but was extended to a 22-hour adventure.
I earned 10 states in a day - Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. I don't know how we skipped Pennsylvania, but we had no plan. I also earned 13 counties on the trip.
We found the oldest cache in Massachusetts (First Mass) and found H.P. Lovecraft's grave site all while driving through a foot of snow.

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?

What I learn while caching. I really do believe in the statement, "I wouldn't have found this location if it hadn't been for Geocaching"

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?

Munzee, Music, Fossils and Rocks, Fishing and Eating.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Re: December 2018 Member Spotlight: lostsole68Interview Date

Post by lpaulriddle »

Haha, what a coincidence... GC4QD53 was also the first event I attended, and I had almost exactly the same experience. The place was so packed and busy that I couldn't tell who was who. I did manage to meet the host and sign the log, and I also somehow ended up in one of the event photos. And, 5 years later, I now know well over half the people on the attendee list. And the beer was good. :-D

Great interview!
Que3nbe3
Former MGS Officer

Post by Que3nbe3 »

I can hardly wait to meet everyone at the Meet the officers Event. I need to be made aware of my new responsibilities. First off is writing up something about myself for this forum, I guess!
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

QUE3NBE3 - Rest assured that I'll help you out in any way I can transition into my current position. Thanks for volunteering to fulfill the role.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
CodyHollowFarm
MGS Officer

Post by CodyHollowFarm »

Great write up!!
Stacy
Always caching, always searching....