Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

February 2017: Lincoln Logs

Special caches in Maryland!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

February 2017: Lincoln Logs

Post by humphr1d »

Greetings MGS! Here we are in February already! I suspect many of you are already thinking about Cache Across Maryland (CAM). While you are out exploring Maryland here is an historic gem with roots to the Civil War to explore. Located in Point Lookout State Park, “Lincoln Logs” is one of the oldest virtual caches in Maryland. While visiting Point Lookout State Park take some time to visit the lighthouse that is located just a little further south on the point.

Lincoln Logs

GC Code: GC2FC0 https://coord.info/GC2FC0

This is one of Maryland’s oldest virtual geocaches. Fort Lincoln is part of this park’s civil war history. Point Lookout State Park's peaceful surroundings belie its history as the location of a prison camp which imprisoned as many as 52,264 Confederate soldiers during the Civil War http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pa ... story.aspx Please note that there is an admission fee for this park.

Where it's located: Fort Lincoln, Point Lookout State Park (southern St. Mary’s County)

Favorite Points: 57

Description:
Accessible on foot from the beach, the lighthouse, or by park land. Easy walk at most anytime of the year from several starting points.

This virtual cache marks a very unique historical location. Small in size but significant in that volunteers rebuilt this exhibit so generations could appreciate the human sacrifice made during our Civil War. We stumbled across this location which you are likely to miss - unless you are looking for it. The coordinates should take you to a place where you can relax and reflect on our history. When we originally created this virtual cache in 2002 the relaxation point was a simple bench that has since been moved. You should find yourself in the center of a Union location. Please say a prayer for the many Confederate dead and visit the two Confederate memorials you passed. Don't forget to look for the other near by caches! The North took no pride in this place. If you are so inclined send me an email about your experience. Enjoy Lincoln's Logs!

Selected Finder logs:

Stamp My Art: …….4/48 - I had learned about this Virtual about 4 years ago when working on the Maryland Challenge cache for Virtuals with Teamtwostar. It was placed on our list of hopeful Virtuals to hunt down. We were able to finish that challenge with many of the other Virtuals closer to home, but the one never left my wish list for someday. Thankfully someday finally arrived and today I was able to finally explore this location. Wow! This is very cool history here and something I would never have known about if not for Geocaching. I bet this place is super busy in season, but today we had the whole area to ourselves. We were even able to enter one of the barracks and explore inside. Great views from here also. Took some pictures paid our respect and headed back north on a WIG mission...
GMRSWEB Thanks so much for bringing us to this location.!

Lpaulriddle: I drove down to Southern Maryland today to fill in a couple of DeLorme squares and find a few caches on my to-do list. It was a great day to be outside, in spite of the cold and wind. I made it all the way to Point Lookout before turning around and heading for home. This virtual was one of my primary objectives today. I had never visited Point Lookout State Park before now. I parked at the boat launch and walked over here after finding the nearby SSB cache. I checked the beach out before entering the fort, and got a couple of nice photos. An interesting little bit of Civil War history here. It's fascinating to see how these fortresses were built to withstand the weaponry and battle tactics of the 19th century. It's nice that these buildings were reconstructed to give visitors a feel for what the area was like then. A very nice location for a virtual. I decided to walk on the beach to get back to parking, which was a bit of an adventure, but well worth it. I love beaches, even in the winter. TFTVC! Find #2088 at 3:01pm EST.

Cache Clown 76: #2,733. If not for geocaching, I would've never come to this location and/or known of it's existence. Thanks for bringing me here. As I walked up upon the entrance to the grounds, there was a groundskeeper giving a makeshift history lesson. His buddy near the guard shack was giving him the business about his knowledge of what did or what may have occurred at this location. I walked all around the grounds and actually did find some "Lincoln" logs (See Photos). Thanks for the virtual. Keep on Cachin'! CC76...

littleblkdog: We parked across the street and walked in to this location by the side road. We found a very historical spot, the kind that doesn't get monuments but mattered very much in its time. This is another one of those spots you only find geocaching. We met a group of historical volunteers was doing some upkeep and we talked for a short while before we hit the road for more caching……

I am just the driver: Out doing the CAM and other caches nearby and found this virtual. LOVED it. Several Living History people were having a work play day for the public but I guess the rain kept them home. Lucky us (here with gardenNclay) as we got a lot of wonderful history and information and we were asked to join them for lunch. Just a perfect cache. Thanks for the site and history lesson.