Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

May 2017: The Angels of Frederick

Special caches in Maryland!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

May 2017: The Angels of Frederick

Post by humphr1d »

This year’s Cache Across Maryland introduced quite a few folks to their first Wherigo. This month we are highlighting another Wherigo, this one will take you on a fantastic walking tour of downtown Frederick Maryland.

Founded in 1745 by German settlers, Frederick is a city rich in heritage, opportunity, and innovation. Located between the Civil War battlegrounds of Monocacy, Antietam and Gettysburg, Frederick was ransomed from burning during the war and became a hospital town for the wounded soldiers. By the turn of the century Frederick industry was booming, centered on the canning, tanning and knitting industries and delivering products to market via the railroad to Baltimore.

Today, Frederick’s award-winning 40-block historic district, parks, neighborhoods and diverse industry base offer residents and visitors a unique blending of history and technology. Ranked 18th Small Arts City in the U.S. by American Style Magazine, Frederick is a celebration of the arts. Impressive architecture and public art works abound in the historic district where you’re never more than a few blocks from one of four impressive performance and fine art centers or a host of private galleries. On 22 weekends each year, downtown Frederick and neighboring 54-acre Baker Park play host to special events which include weekly summer concerts, monthly gallery walks, children’s theatrical performances, and other events which celebrate the season.

The Angels of Frederick

GC Code: GC5ZZBB https://coord.info/GC5ZZBB

Where it's located: City of Frederick (Frederick County)

Favorite Points: 13

Description:
The coordinates are the starting location for this Wherigo. The Wherigo can be downloaded from the following link http://www.wherigo.com/cartridge/detail ... 524dbea679. This Wherigo will take you on a tour through historic Frederick Maryland with special attention to the artwork of muralist William Cochran. There are parking garages in downtown Frederick and metered parking on the road. You may need tweezers for the final container.

Selected Finder logs:

Mcgmarauders: It was a nice sunny and warm day - perfect for a stroll through Frederick with my wife, followed by lunch! The cartridge worked perfectly and we both enjoyed every stage. Extracting the container was a bit of a challenge, but we prevailed. Many thanks for the entertainment - certainly well deserving of a favorite point!

ProgKing: The latest rumor going around the geocaching community is that I have to pee a lot. Crazy...I know! I'm not sure where these rumors get started. Anyhoo, I did a lot of walking around downtown Frederick this morning and guess what I discovered? There's no place to pee!! Finally I decide to just have lunch at Volt and send the CO the bill. I've seen these angels many times while walking around Frederick and never paid much attention as I guess I just assumed that they were real. Thanks for the education and adding to favorites!!!

Zekester & Simon: A walking tour of Frederick, a training exercise for Tomulus and Paula, time spent with Deepdish23 and LittleBlackDog, there just wasn't anything not to love about this fine caching experience. A well crafted Wherigo, that takes you to a variety of interesting artistic places, this one is well worth doing, and we're giving a fave point. Thanks for an excellent caching experience!

Bj&Snurt101: Angels were certainly welcome today in the City of Spires. Came into town for the CW Hertiage Area GeoTrail kick-of, and not having time to tackle it, I opted to have at this 'bucket-list' cache. It did not disappoint.

The Bridge Mural remains a gem. I have visited it many times and never fail to come away inspired. The walk along Market Street and beyond was pleasant, the aromas of cooking foods reminding that I hadn't eaten yet. I didn't pause to eat; later I would have a sumptuous mid-afternoon breakfast in Myersville.

What did I learn (pay heed cachers)? Verbatim is the word for entering WhereIGo answers.
Favorite point to deepdish23.

Invaluable1: I could not resist the chance to visit Frederick. The canal was blooming with water lilies and lotuses, the people are friendly, and the town has many interesting buildings, shops and art pieces. Read up on Frederick to find that the Paint Quality Institute it as one of America’s “Prettiest Painted Places” in a national competition that identified the nation’s 12 most beautifully painted towns in 2012. Very enjoyable Wherigo was found with Gaiter Man and I was quite surprised when we saw the blank log. Sorry I didn't log by phone, hope no one was disappointed. Thanks to deepdish23 and hunterKat for creating this!!