Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

July 2017: Carderock

Special caches in Maryland!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

July 2017: Carderock

Post by humphr1d »

The MGS Summer Picnic is almost upon us and now is the time to plan out your must do caching list for the picnic. This month we turn our focus to the virtual caches near the MGS Summer Picnic site.

Carderock (virtual cache)

GC Code: GC56D3

Where it's located: Carderock Park (Montgomery County)

Favorite Points: 19

Description:
Located at Carderock, a favorite park for Washington DC area rock climbers, hikers, and runners.

Just an exit off the Washington DC beltway but a million miles away in every other way. Take exit 41 going west from Maryland towards Virginia on 495 and follow the signs to the park. Plenty of parking is available at N 38 58.511, W077 12.384. The cache is less than a quarter mile from the lot, just off the main path and not far from an area frequented by rock climbers. Near the C&O Canal bike path and Potomac River, this is a great place to get back to nature. Don't be surprised if you run into fishermen (human and heron alike), bikers, and runners along the towpath (path to the right as you drive into the parking area). While this cache is a probably not suitable for young children, sneakers or hiking shoes and 4 able limbs are the only equipment required.

Selected Finder logs:

CacheBoss: X MCCCVIII: What a pleasant and tranquil place for a short break from this busy world. Lots of rock climbers out here on a warm Sunday morning. TFTC

pwesleynd93: We have been here plenty of times and for the life of me I don't know why I never logged it. It was a beautiful sunny day so we headed to out for an afternoon of hiking and caching. This was one of six for the day. We always enjoy the view from here and today was no different. We saw some climbers preparing to ascend the cliff face. Thank you for setting up this fun virtual cache! I'll be attaching some photos.

Finesse: Walked my girlfriend to a rock climbing clinic and then wandered down the tow path, through parts off Billy Goat C, and back around to this nice spot. A beautiful strip of nature. TFTC!

mdsearcher: Out today doing a few caches in Montgomery County. This is one of our finds. There were a couple of climbers getting ready to rappel down the rocks about 100 ft from GZ. A delightfully natural place. TFTC.

Fuzzydave: Find #1404
After visiting the nearby canal for cam, Fuzzy Jr and I stopped by here firbthis virtual cache.
It was a nice walk down to Gz.
We got to watch some first responders practice rescuing someone from rough terrain.

hunterKat: One more ghost of Maryland found. Took hubby by since he’s never stopped here before, and we found a rappelling field trip in action. I lost count of how many ropes we found tied off at the top. Thanks for keeping this one going.