Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

September 2017: Wye Knot?

Special caches in Maryland!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

September 2017: Wye Knot?

Post by humphr1d »

Wye Knot?

GC Code: GC4CC9

Where it's located: http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pag ... sland.aspx Wye Island NRMA, Wye Island NRMA is located in the tidal recesses of the Chesapeake Bay between the Wye River and the Wye East River in Queen Anne’s County

Favorite Points: 5

Description:
The cache is a rubbermaid box with a blue-trimmed lid, containing a little bit of this and a little bit of that. NOTE: There is a fall deer hunting season on the Island. Please be careful. Interested in the history of this area? Read Boyd Gibbons' book WYE ISLAND to learn of this island's long history, and how it was nearly lost to residential developers, hence the reference in the opening of the sonnet.

“Wye Knot?”
Welcome to Maryland’s wild Eastern Shore,
Please partake of an island nearly lost
‘Til foresight and citizens paid the cost
To create magic and prove less is more.
Follow road and sky, change to clouds of dust;
Travel your way over this bumpy ride,
When come to see aged tanks to the left side:
Settle your steed across from rounds of rust.
Walk quietly through fields of planted grain,
Though direct bearings will only confound,
Bringing marsh and water, not solid ground
As hedge's rows mark river’s tidal wane.
In time, shall you know you are near the find:
A lone tree, two others, a “V” behind.

Selected Finder logs:

Lostsole68: I was off work today so I figured I would complete Wye Island. I stopped at a parking area well ahead of the cache location for a nice hike back but I found walking in a straight line from there was not the best idea. After working my way back out and walking around the obstacles I finally made it to a point I could really start working my way back. It wasn't easy getting back here and after checking a few places that could have hid the cache I finally figured out where location was. The coords are within 8 feet after running the sampling app. TNLNSL. Thanks for this old cache.

Deepdish23: I am on a kick right now looking for the earliest active caches in each county in Maryland. I was at Wye Island Park last year to do the CAM cache, but skipped this cache for some reason. I kicked myself when I realized this was the earliest active cache in Queen Anne's County. I made it over to the park today before the sun was setting, and hustled over to look for this cache. I will say, I am glad that I did this cache in winter as the briers were still pretty thick today. I can only imagine what this area looks like in summer. Thanks for keeping this classic geocache active. TFTC

Tumulus & MSt: Didn't know exactly where to park so just got close and skirted the field. Surprisingly no geotrail. Will be tough very soon. Great to read logs from 10 years ago. TFTC.

Lpaulriddle: Find #533 at 4:21pm. Our family was in Queenstown this afternoon, and decided to visit Wye Island, as we had never been here before. We hiked a few of the trails, found a few caches, and enjoyed the great weather. Well, this one sure was off the beaten path! We drove by it looking for a good pull-off, but didn't really find one.. we ended up parking near the West Corner trailhead, around 0.75 miles away from the cache. We followed that trail until it ended, then followed the road until we reached a large field, with 0.4 miles still to go. The field hadn't yet been planted for the season, so we were able to cut directly through it towards the cache. Finally, we reached the woods, picked our way past a few briars, and made a quick find at GZ. It was a little damp inside the container, and most of the swag has seen better days, but the log is in decent shape. TNLNSL, emptied a little bit of water out of the container, and re-hid. I didn't realize how old this cache was until I saw the signatures going back to 2002. I get a big kick out of finding older caches. It's great that this one still has its original log book. TFTC!

KSullivan: In the area, checking out the trails. I am so glad that I looked at the map to plan my route to this one! (There is no short way!) Thanks for brining me here! SL TFTC

Run&Hike: You can't get there from here! (at least not directly). When we got home, I was looking at the Data Sheet and noticed that IF I HAD READ IT I would have known that!
Common sense (like, we can't walk on water!) prevailed, and we actually found a GOOD trail/road that got us to less than a hundred feet from GZ, and several game trails that made access (slightly) less thorny.
We had actually decided to park where we should have and, even with some "back-up-and-try-that-way" action, our round-trip walk was 1.51 miles, made simpler by there being no corn to deal with.
Thanks for getting us into this scenic area and for the cache at the end of our walk.