Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Containers for water based geocaches

General Chit-Chat.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Containers for water based geocaches

Post by nighthawk700 »

I have a few ideas for places where I'd like to put out some water based (e.g. kayaking/canoeing) geocaches. Some of these aren't going to be places where I can hide a decent sized container (e.g. an ammo box). What tends to work best for this. Decon boxes? Matchstick containers? I'd want something relatively unobtrusive so as not to attract muggles, but sturdy enough to secure so it'll stay there, keep the log dry, and not be impossible for a cacher looking for the item to find. In the next month or two I hope to hit some water caching trails, and I'll see what works for others, but I want to start ordering what I would need for myself.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Re: Containers for water based geocaches

Post by Death Wish Dave »

Louis--are you talking about underwater, or occasionally submerged?

I am sad to say that I believe that Otterbox no longer makes cases--just phone protection cases. When flaffle and I found The Snake Pit, the Otterbox that FlyingMoose had used was still dry inside, after being submerged for almost 4 years!

Pelican makes similar cases as well. Here is one from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B001CNNEXE.

I found a few caches on the N. Branch of the Potomac (incredible trip) that hadn't been found in a year (got FTF on them) and the CO used the larger pill fobs that you can get at Rite-Aid (or cheaper at Amazon). They were all totally dry.

I don't know about match cases exposed to the elements. You'd think that they'd be OK but it's been a while since I found one. The washer does deteriorate eventually. They float so unless they are tethered well, you may lose them in a flood.

The cheap "waterproof" boxes from Walmart, in my experience, do not remain waterproof for long. I keep one on my yak and the splashing usually causes some condensation inside. It's happened too often and too quickly to be regular condensation. They're fine for a phone, wallet and keys while you're paddling but not for a longer term container.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Death Wish Dave wrote:Louis--are you talking about underwater, or occasionally submerged?
I guess it depends on what I find when I get out there to attach a container to, although I'm mostly thinking above the waterline, I'm no diver. But since it's near the water, it could be occasionally flooded.

I was looking at REI's website, and saw these, I might pick up a few and see if they would work. (don't all buy them up... I can't purchase things at work, so wouldn't be able to snag anything until tonight ;-) ) http://www.rei.com/product/881695/gsi-o ... 2-closeout
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Death Wish Dave wrote: I found a few caches on the N. Branch of the Potomac (incredible trip) that hadn't been found in a year (got FTF on them) and the CO used the larger pill fobs that you can get at Rite-Aid (or cheaper at Amazon). They were all totally dry.
Oh, and the pill fobs look nice too! Thanks!!
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

nighthawk700 wrote:
Death Wish Dave wrote:Louis--are you talking about underwater, or occasionally submerged?
I guess it depends on what I find when I get out there to attach a container to, although I'm mostly thinking above the waterline, I'm no diver. But since it's near the water, it could be occasionally flooded.

I was looking at REI's website, and saw these, I might pick up a few and see if they would work. (don't all buy them up... I can't purchase things at work, so wouldn't be able to snag anything until tonight ;-) ) http://www.rei.com/product/881695/gsi-o ... 2-closeout
That's perfect for fitting a small logbook!
LestISmiteThee
MGS Member

Post by LestISmiteThee »

I think the only 100% submerged cache we've found so far was in Chewacla State Park, AL where Woodnut placed a bunch of awesome caches, including Director's A-Mazing Treasure Hunt. There was a pier with some chains hanging off the side. We pulled one particular chain up and found a thermos on the end. The thermos kept the inside dry, which held a ziploc with the log, swag, and trackables. I think a standard Thermos-brand bottle is around $15, and chains are a couple bucks at Lowes or Home Depot.
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

A hydro cache found in my area was a Nalgene bottle anchored to a rock etc. by a chain and a carabiner. That seemed to work well and cheap too.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

I've found wet Nalgene bottles before. In some cases, that could be careless cachers not closing the lid tightly. But, nothing is waterproof if not closed correctly. This was an underwater one though, so hopefully, everyone knew to close it tightly.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

here are some other inexpensive options:

Brass Keychain Pill Holder ID Vial Silver Finish - Waterproof
http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Keychain-Ho ... RKFT64HZG6

Karter Scientific 207B3 Vol 10ml, Screw Top, Plastic Test Tubes & Caps, Round, 16x100mm (Pack of 25)
http://www.amazon.com/Karter-Scientific ... KJ75QGXC32

I wish I still worked at the lab :thinking:
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

Ebay has the OtterBox 1000's that were mentioned for $15 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OtterBox-1000-S ... 1573589764
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

We've often seen nested container used for this purpose, i.e. a container within a container. Ammo cans work well. Preforms work well provided you add some negative buoyancy. There is a container meant for mounting on a motorcycle that I'll hunt down and post later that I always thought would be good for this purpose.

Otter boxes work well too, but with any of these, as has been previously mentioned, you are dependent on careful cachers making sure that the sealing surfaces of your gasket material do not get contaminated or compromised. Whatever route you choose, I'd by a few extra containers, and plan on this hide being a little more maintenance intensive.
obxgeek
MGS Member

Post by obxgeek »

I had a submerged cache that was neutrally buoyant in the Sound off Kitty Hawk. I don't remember the company name but it was one that was rated for submersion not just splash resistance. I put rocks in the bottom of the box until it was neutrally buoyant in the salt water of the Sound then added glue around all the rocks to keep them in place. Then it was just a write in the rain book for the log. It was about 6 feet down and you had to unclip it and return to the surface with it. It stayed dry but sadly one of the hurricanes came through and broke the heavy duty zip ties I had used to anchor it and I haven't tried again. On the other hand I have a bunch of bison tubes with cammo tape out that have worked really well. I used a thin paracord to tie a loop around branches with lots of space so that they will never choke the tree and so far they have held up to the hurricanes pretty well. They are in the channels instead of out in the open now as the ones I had in the middle of the sound I am pretty sure were getting muggled rather than environmental damage. All of them are hung such that you pull up to them and can get them from the boat (kayak or canoe) and do all the logging without getting out of the boat. I did have some people manage some with john boats or similar but nothing where you are 3 or 4 feet up off the water in the boat.

The only maintenance I have had to do is every other year replace the oring. The next time I do maintenance runs I plan to replace the regular paper log with write in the rain logs.

I personally like ones you can get from the boat without going ashore unless you are going to do a really big container to make it worth it. And the spot you go ashore should have a good takeout point otherwise it kills the fun of it as falling out of your boat because there wasn't enough space to ground it sucks.

One other submerged "container" you can look at would be the multi-marks from GX proxy. If you use a number punch instead of a marker they can be submerged without any problem and the aluminum will take forever to fall apart. It isn't a solution for the final but a good option for making a multi on/in the water and can always bring the person back to coordinates that are on land for a fullsize container.
ImageImageImage
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Thanks for the comments! Since I'm not much of a swimmer, I don't plan on making this one you have to dive down for, so it won't be something submerged. I picked up several of the containers from REI, and they look like they could be sturdy enough to last a while. They come with straps, but the paracord sounds like a good idea as well. And like you, I think most of them being reachable from the boat is best. If I do have one outside the boat, it would need to be worth the effort. And since I'm not so smooth at transfers (boat->land, or vice versa) there would need to be a suitable landing point. Now I just need to get some time to go out and paddle!! Probably not until after my class ends mid-May though.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

nighthawk700 wrote:I picked up several of the containers from REI, and they look like they could be sturdy enough to last a while. They come with straps, but the paracord sounds like a good idea as well.
I picked up a few of these also but they don't look like they can be submerged for any period of time. The one I opened dosne't have an o-ring but then it might not need one. I havent had time to do any testing but at the very least I think some vasaline around the lip would help.

Louis, did you get a chance to look at/test yours?

Until further testing I think they would be good near the water but not hidden under the water.
----------------
-----------------
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Lostsole68 wrote: Louis, did you get a chance to look at/test yours?

Until further testing I think they would be good near the water but not hidden under the water.
No, no testing done yet. My class finishes next week, then I will have a bit more free time for things like that. I don't plan on using it for something that stays underwater though. Near the water, but not under. And after yesterday's kayaking trip with my youngest, I'm more determined to try to keep the caches the type you can do without getting out of your boat. Oy, the mud she tracked in on the kayak's maiden voyage!!! ;-)
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

FYI: The price of the containers at REI dropped down even further, now $1.73 each. I just used up all 6 of the ones I ordered (Lake Roland series) so am ordering more.

http://www.rei.com/product/881695/gsi-o ... 2-closeout
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

nighthawk700 wrote:FYI: The price of the containers at REI dropped down even further, now $1.73 each. I just used up all 6 of the ones I ordered (Lake Roland series) so am ordering more.

http://www.rei.com/product/881695/gsi-o ... 2-closeout
I just picked up a bunch of these. Since I live very near one of the tributaries that doesn't have any kayak caches yet, I wanted to put some out. I saw these containers in use for a few kayak caches that I found recently and they seemed to hold up pretty well. For the price, I couldn't go wrong. I got plenty of them so if I needed to replace a few, I can.