Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

January 2017 Member Spotlight: Georick402

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

January 2017 Member Spotlight: Georick402

Post by humphr1d »

I have had the distinct pleasure of not only finding his caches but also had the opportunity to cache with Rick on several occasions. He is always a pleasure to cache with and seems to always have a new cache being published. If you have not spotted him on the trails or at an event, let me introduce you to georick402.

Interview Date: 01/08/17

Caching Name: georick402

1. How did you become involved in geocaching?
When did you start? My oldest brother told me about geocaching, saying he thought it was something that he knew I’d like. He sent me an article to read. It was sort of like a mystery cache. It made no sense to me at all. About 6 months later, I saw an article in the Parade Magazine which is an insert in the Sunday Washington Post. I read it, it made sense. I gave it a try, and I was hooked.

2. How did you choose your caching name?
The Parade Magazine mentioned the geocaching.com website and how to start your own account. I didn’t even think about a name. My first thought was georick and I thought the name would probably already be taken. Instead of trying it, just to have it turned down, I added 402 which is the house number of the house where I grew up in Rockville. Geocaching.com accepted it and I stuck with it.

3. How many caches have you found so far?
As of this writing, I have found 5,330.

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I currently use a Garmin etrex touch 25, and my cell phone.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?

I mostly use the geocaching.com website on my computer and their app on my phone. I also use project-go, and I’m still getting familiar with cgeo, although I’m an expert with those red circles. Those red circles make the hides come easier and quicker, and you can blame that on GeoAPPs.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
A smiley face is a smiley face but a traditional is my favorite, especially if it’s a nice hike in the woods. If the cache ends up being an ammo can, that’s a bonus.

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
Physically, for me was A Long Way Up (https://coord.info/GC3BXQW). You can read my log to see why. Of course, it didn’t help that I did it in the middle of the summer. As for mentally, 99% of those mystery caches. Like I tell my wife, “I’m probably the dumbest geocacher out there.”

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found?
Wow! So many favorites, it’s hard to choose one. The quickest one coming to mind for a Maryland find has to be Don’t Tell The Tooth Fairy (https://coord.info/GC5F6RQ). A mystery cache I could solve, a nice hike, and an excellent cache. Another Maryland favorite is Maryland Heights (part II) (https://coord.info/GCGZV1) which is a nice hike and you end up with a beautiful view overlooking Harpers Ferry, WV.

Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?
Raiders of the Lost Cache (https://coord.info/GC2HN2H) is a fantastic cache in PA. Once again, a nice hike in a nice park, nice location and an excellent cache.

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
Found quite a few unusual things, but I’d say a tube of tooth paste.

10. What are your current caching goals?

When I first got into geocaching, I wasn’t even thinking about goals until another cacher asked me what goals I had. My first goal was to get at least one find in all 50 states which I have accomplished. Then I wanted to complete the Jasmer Challenge which I did. I have two future goals and they are to get a find above the Arctic Circle and to complete the Canadian Provinces.

Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
Any cache above the Arctic Circle. Trying to make that happen in 2017.

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I’ve hidden 1,057 caches with 1,003 of them currently active. I never really had any goals, other than hiding my very first cache. Just hearing other cachers talk about finding ALL of my caches, makes me hide more. Maintenance can be a problem at times, but I do get a lot of help from other cachers which is greatly appreciated. As for my one year hide streak, that basically started off as a joke. I planned on quitting a couple of times but always had other cachers telling me to keep the streak going. That one year streak hiding caches was only accomplished because of the reviewer we have.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?

Before hiding a cache, I recommend a cacher find maybe 25 hides and find some different types. I’m not a fan of park and grabs even though I have hundreds of them hidden. I’ve come to realize that certain cachers like them to maintain their daily streaks and I also know of certain cachers who are unable to hike in the woods because of some type of disability. If possible, use write in the rain paper for your log book as it’ll help out with maintenance over time. Caches I hide in town I usually get a reading from my phone and GPS and stick with coords in between the two. As for my hides in the woods, I’ll find a spot, get a reading, walk away and come back in a different direction for another reading. If I’m with another cacher, we‘ll compare coordinates. Good coordinates is important. If necessary, you can always adjust the coords.

13. How often do you go caching?
I go caching whenever I get the chance. Maybe not as much as I had in the past, as I need to travel farther away, because I’ve found all of the nearby caches.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Start with an easy find and one that’s larger than a micro. Find a few of those first, and then work your way up to harder finds and smaller finds. Read recent logs to make sure the cache is still in place. For some enjoyment, look for caches with a lot of favorite points. Everyone has caches they can’t find. Don’t let that turn you away from geocaching. Reach out to other cachers or the CO for a hint.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
I’ve done CAM for the past two years. I enjoy the different areas of the state you get to visit and the cachers you go with and the ones you meet on the trails. The CAM picnic is a great reward.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?

Yes, I do collect geocoins, and they are all favorites. They each have a special meaning, relating to Geo trails I’ve completed, goals I’ve accomplished, and the ones given to me as a gift.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
I always have an ink pen. To me, that’s the most important item. The longer the hike, the more items I bring. On short hikes, I usually have a fanny pack. For long hikes, I usually have a backpack. Inside both, are extra log sheets, Ziploc bags, and caches to help with any maintenance that may be needed. Your typical tools of the trade, like tweezers, flashlight and pocket knife. Log rollers are good for the nano’s, but for some reason I don’t use them. A first aid kit always comes in handy.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
Too many to mention. I’d have to say my European trip with my father. Three weeks, 17 countries and a memory which will last a life time. All of my milestone caches which I have shared with family members and friends. And I can’t forget all of the great friends I have met along the way from Alzarius to Zorrobarnes. Too many names to mention, but everyone has been very friendly and helpful. I really do appreciate that. I’d hang out with these friends before co workers or school friends any day.

19. What is your best caching story?
Read it at https://coord.info/GC3BXQW. I wouldn’t say it’s my best caching story but it is one I’ll never forget. I don’t mind finding caches I’ve I already found if I’m going with other friends, but this is one I will NEVER do again.

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?

Meeting other cachers, the excitement, surprises and excellent caches. I’m always telling my wife that “I’ve never met a cacher I didn’t like.” Everyone of them have been very friendly and helpful. I have two email accounts, one for family and old friends and one for geocaching friends. It may not be right, but I always check my geocaching email before I do my family and friends email. And I’m always up for the next challenge.

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
I love spending time with family and friends, going on vacations, weekend getaways, and hikes. I don’t do it as much as I used to, but I am into climbing to the highest point in each state. I have 37 completed (including the highpoint in Washington DC).

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t?
A few have asked me this question and I’m sure others wonder - Does your wife geocache? Yes, she does go with me for quick and easy ones. My wife was born with cerebral palsy which has always caused her to walk with a bad limp. It never kept her off of any trails until she had two hip replacement surgeries. It was these surgeries that now require her to walk with a cane. She can no longer hike trails that are not paved. She’s always been very supportive of me and geocaching, and for that I‘m very grateful. She knows I love it, and allows me to do it. Whenever we’re on vacation, I’ll drop her off at a store or two. She’ll shop, I’ll geocache, and we’re both happy.

Bonus Comment: Can we ALL stop hiding caches on Sugarloaf Mountain? Please :D
Alzarius
MGS Director

Re: January 2017 Member Spotlight: Georick402

Post by Alzarius »

Thanks for a great spotlight, Rick! Nice to learn a little more about you. Really wish you hadn't mentioned GC3BXQW though — now i'm curious! :thinking:
Bethesdasprite
MGS Member

Post by Bethesdasprite »

Really loved this spotlight interview about Rick ! Hubby and I have spent entire days just doing Rick's caches,we especially loved his caches along our favorite bike trail; we're seniors and he has really inspired us to get up and out! Some time ago, on a very cold day my we lost the top to a micro cache with maybe 15 signatures already on it. Hubby,JJBethesda's big fingers were too cold to replace the cap and it rolled away, and was,lost;we were mortified! Rick's response: No worries,I'll fix it right away. And he did :-)
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Nice spotlight! Apparently I've spent so much time with Rick that I don't think I learned much that I didn't already know :-D
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Great post and glad we got to know more about you. See you on the trails.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
ProgKing
MGS Member

Post by ProgKing »

Can't say I'm familiar with him, but he looks like the dude who was doing some roof work in the neighborhood recently. I'll have to keep my eyes out for some of his caches now that he's on my radar. :wink:
up & down
MGS Member

Post by up & down »

What a nice write up! We love his selfies. Very dedicated to Geocaching. He's has some great hides. Always wearing a smile and always willing to help. We always look forward to seeing Rick at the meetings and on the trails. What a great person!
wizardofmd69
MGS Member

Post by wizardofmd69 »

GREAT write up for a GREAT friend!
Bohicarico
MGS Member

Post by Bohicarico »

Georick is the Man! As you can see, he's my go-to CO.

He inspired me to do a couple things, in parallel:
-- I will find 100% of Georick's active Maryland, USA - caches
-- I will be the "GeoRick" of Columbia, Parkville and CVP
-- When I pass my 'rabbit', I hope it's with a GeoRick smiley

GnomeGCer
GeoAPPs
MGS Member

Post by GeoAPPs »

Great write up for a great cacher! We've had the pleasure of going on some memorable caching adventures with him. Proud to have him as a caching buddy and even more as a friend.
ZombieHNTR
MGS Member

Post by ZombieHNTR »

Awesome write-up for an awesome cacher! Spent many of hours on the trail with this guy and it has always been a pleasure, well, mostly, except for the bushwacking through the thorns and thickets of Montgomery County! :lol:

Looking forward to many more caching adventures with georick402!

:applause: