Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2017 Geocoin Distribution

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
Alzarius
MGS Director

CAM 2017 Geocoin Distribution

Post by Alzarius »

CAM 2017 GEOCOIN DISTRIBUTION

Now that the CAM 2017 geocoins have finally arrived, it's time to find the best way to distribute them. This topic has been created for that purpose. All further announcements regarding the CAM 2017 geocoin will be posted in this topic. Be sure to "watch" this topic to received the latest updates.

SHIPPING
For those who paid to have their coins mailed, the coins are already being packaged and will be taken to the Post Office on Monday, 11 December.

PICKUP
For those who opted to pickup their coins at an event, we will be using this forum topic to keep you informed of which upcoming events the MGS officers are planning to attend. The officers will post which events they plan to attend, and I will keep an updated list of events at the end of this post. Once you see an event listed, please contact us at [email=2017core@mdgps.org?subject=CAM 2017 Geocoin Pickup&body=My geocaching.com username is:%0D%0A%0D%0AMy real name is:%0D%0A%0D%0A%0D%0AI am interested in picking up my CAM 2017 geocoin(s)...%0D%0A%0D%0A     at this Event:%0D%0A%0D%0A     on this Date:]2017core@mdgps.org[/email] to let us know you’re coming so we can be sure to have enough coins at that event.

TICKETS
If you completed CAM and attended the CAM Picnic on May 6th, you were issued a ticket which you can redeem for your award coin. While presenting your ticket is the simplest and most efficient way to receive your coin in person, we are not unsympathetic to the fact that these tickets were issued seven months ago. If you lost or misplaced your ticket since then, please contact us before showing up to claim your coin. We can help you if you contact us ahead of time. We cannot, however, release coins to anyone who turns up unannounced without a ticket. If you lost your ticket, contact us at [email=2017core@mdgps.org?subject=CAM 2017 Geocoin - LOST TICKET&body=My geocaching.com username is:%0D%0A%0D%0AMy real name is:]2017core@mdgps.org[/email].

Once again, we truly appreciate your patience with this suboptimal situation, and we will do our best to get your coins to you as quickly and as painlessly as possible.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Re: CAM 2017 Geocoin Distribution

Post by Alzarius »

UPCOMING PICKUP EVENTS

Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

We are aware of quality issues with some of the 2017 CAM coins. Cache Advance is in the process of formulating a plan to resolve these issues. We will make an announcement as soon as this plan is in place. We apologise for the continued frustration and thank you for your patience as we work to make this right.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

Cache Advance is putting the finishing touches on an online form you can submit to have your defective coin(s) remade at no additional cost to you. We'll post the link and instructions here as soon as the form is ready.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

Some of you have asked how to know whether your coin is defective. I will try to get some example photos of the problems posted in the next day or two so you can compare. In short, if your coin looks great to you and you're happy with it, it's probably fine. If something catches your eye as wrong, there's probably something wrong. Of course, geocoins are all hand-crafted and by that very nature are prone to slight inconsistencies. We're not talking about those sorts of minor blemishes. We're talking about major defects in metal stamping and enamelling, and coins so scratched and dented they look like they've been dragged through a gravel pit. Coins that should never have left the factory.

Cache Advance needs to tweak the "remake" form to allow people to enter tracking codes for different coin types (so that multiple coins can be sent in one shipment). As soon as that's fixed, we'll post the link and a description of how to proceed. You will not be asked to return your defective coin, so if in doubt, get it remade. The replacement coin will have the same tracking code as your defective one, so you can go ahead and activate it if you like. Officially, you will probably have to agree to destroy the defective coin upon receipt of the remade one, but if you accidentally release it into the wild as a proxy, well, oops.

Before submitting your remake request, it would be a good idea to test the code to make sure you've read the alphanums correctly. You can do this by entering your code into https://www.geocaching.com/track/  (You should get the "Congratulations on your Trackable purchase!" page if it's correct and the "No results were found for your search" page if it's not.)
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

The Replacement Form is now live. A new thread has been created for the replacement information: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9750
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

In case you didn't see the email, Cache Advance/Compass Creek Designs recently sent out this update about the CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement:

Hello Everyone,

One of our customers reached out yesterday asking for an update on progress. It served as a good reminder to get this update out to all of you.

As explained in the last email we needed to get through Chinese New Year vacation and we have. The factory is now back to work and they provided me with a status update of production arranged. This means the remake is on their schedule. While I do not have a hard and fast date, based on experience the production will begin shortly and keep us on track for the early April delivery.

Thank you once again and happy caching!

Sincerely,

J.D. and Lisa
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2017 Geocoin Replacement - the check is in the mail

Post by littleblkdog »

For those of you who requested a replacement CAM 2017 coin as a result of manufacturing defects:

I received an update on the 2017 coins overnight and I have been told the 2017 CAM coins have been shipped from the factory and they are enroute to the coin vendor, Cache Advance. Once Cache Advance receives the coins and performs a quality check, they should be in the mail to you. I am hesitant to provide a delivery date but I would expect something in the next 2-3 weeks.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Update to the 2017 CAM coins:

As I understand it, replacement remakes have been mailed to everybody who requested them and they should have been received by now. There are two issues I am aware of that are being dealt with to get those geocachers good coins (or the best we can).

I have several coins from people who have not picked them up and therefore likely did not request a replacement. Of note some of those people attended the 2018 Picnic and did not pickup their coin. As part of the distribution of the 2018 Coins, I will be mailing the 2017 coins to people as well. So if you completed 2018 and don't have your 2017 coin, you can expect it in the mail with your 2018 coin. Of course, if you didn't complete 2018 we will still mail your 2017 and I will reach out to those geocachers separately to get your address. Don't worry, I will track you down.