Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Hiding a cache

General Chit-Chat.
Ejwall
MGS Member

Hiding a cache

Post by Ejwall »

So I’m thinking about hiding a cache and wanted to know what a typical FTF prize would be or if you all had any suggestions on FTF prizes. Or if you any of you hid any what you did for FTF if you did anything at all (other than updating the page with the FTF catchers name on the cache description page).

Thanks in advance for the help.

EJWall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillnVick
MGS Member

Re: Hiding a cache

Post by BillnVick »

Ejwall wrote:So I’m thinking about hiding a cache and wanted to know what a typical FTF prize would be or if you all had any suggestions on FTF prizes. Or if you any of you hid any what you did for FTF if you did anything at all (other than updating the page with the FTF catchers name on the cache description page).

EJWall

We have found and left Tbs as ftf prize, "green papers", and special toys or swag. We also got scratch offs as ftf prize before from a few of a certain person's caches. However I'm not sure how that falls on the guideline side of things. So nice to see someone even want a to leave an ftf prize, it's a great feeling when u get an ftf and something special is there for you!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Ejwall
MGS Member

Hiding a cache

Post by Ejwall »

BillnVick wrote:
Ejwall wrote:So I’m thinking about hiding a cache and wanted to know what a typical FTF prize would be or if you all had any suggestions on FTF prizes. Or if you any of you hid any what you did for FTF if you did anything at all (other than updating the page with the FTF catchers name on the cache description page).

EJWall

We have found and left Tbs as ftf prize, "green papers", and special toys or swag. We also got scratch offs as ftf prize before from a few of a certain person's caches. However I'm not sure how that falls on the guideline side of things. So nice to see someone even want a to leave an ftf prize, it's a great feeling when u get an ftf and something special is there for you!

I always thought it was standard when placing a cache...but I wouldn’t know because I’ve only found 54 so far and I haven’t been FTF on any yet...maybe one day, lol. And if you don’t mind me asking what are “green papers”?

Also, thanks for the suggestions

BillnVick
MGS Member

Post by BillnVick »

Ejwall wrote:
BillnVick wrote:

EJWall

I always thought it was standard when placing a cache...but I wouldn’t know because I’ve only found 54 so far and I haven’t been FTF on any yet...maybe one day, lol. And if you don’t mind me asking what are “green papers”?

We call $ money "green papers", I'm not 100% sure why it started however e veeyone we have come across uses that term vs. Saying they left money. I personally prefer Say I f that so anyone who doesn't really caching doesnt just run out to every cache that says "hey we left some cash in the cache" in order to gain some type of profit. Lol so we use green papers

Ejwall
MGS Member

Post by Ejwall »

BillnVick wrote:
Ejwall wrote:
BillnVick wrote:We have found and left Tbs as ftf prize, "green papers", and special toys or swag. We also got scratch offs as ftf prize before from a few of a certain person's caches. However I'm not sure how that falls on the guideline side of things. So nice to see someone even want a to leave an ftf prize, it's a great feeling when u get an ftf and something special is there for you!

We call $ money "green papers", I'm not 100% sure why it started however e veeyone we have come across uses that term vs. Saying they left money. I personally prefer Say I f that so anyone who doesn't really caching doesnt just run out to every cache that says "hey we left some cash in the cache" in order to gain some type of profit. Lol so we use green papers

Ahh, okay, that actually makes sense, lol. Thanks!

portlywalker
MGS Member

Post by portlywalker »

I don't believe "green papers" are EVER appropriate to leave in a cache.
You can purchase "FTF" prizes from Groundspeak and several of the other vendors. A more inexpensive choice can be wooden FTF tokens also available for purchase several places. Then too, I have sometimes have caught up with the winner and sent them by mail one of my pathtags.
FTF prizes are hard to do with urban nano hides and are often the only recognition is if the CO takes the time to add text to the listing.
Ejwall
MGS Member

Post by Ejwall »

portlywalker wrote:I don't believe "green papers" are EVER appropriate to leave in a cache.
You can purchase "FTF" prizes from Groundspeak and several of the other vendors. A more inexpensive choice can be wooden FTF tokens also available for purchase several places. Then too, I have sometimes have caught up with the winner and sent them by mail one of my pathtags.
FTF prizes are hard to do with urban nano hides and are often the only recognition is if the CO takes the time to add text to the listing.
Ya, I wasnt planning on leaving green paper, I purchased a FTF tag from groundspeak, lol. Was trying to gauge what other people leave behind and expected. I ordered pathtags of my own, but they wont be here for another month or so, hopefully I will get them in time and will be able to place one or two in the cache.
JDandJess
MGS Member

Post by JDandJess »

Typically I've seen FTF rewards in caches that are more difficult or way out there as a little more of incentive to go make the find. FTF rewards in a LPC would surprise me, where as a D5 or T5 it's always fun to get a little bit of a reward for being the first one crazy enough to make that type of trip. Of the 3 I've placed, only one had a prize for the FTF.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Hard to go wrong with unactivated trackables. The FTF tokens are nice, and you can also get a 4-pack of travel bugs for $20 (at last check), release a couple yourself, and keep a couple as FTF prizes. I have a few geocoins I have not activated, that I am saving as future FTF prizes (or possibly gifts at holiday events).

I've also seen gift cards to places like Starbucks and Panera.

As to what kind of caches merit a FTF prize, that's very subjective. Obviously, you can't put one in a nano. I think it makes sense to leave a little something in a high-difficulty and/or high-terrain hide as a reward to the finder for putting in the effort required. A high-profile or high quality cache like a CAM, Geotour, or gadget cache might also fit the bill, as might a "milestone" hide for the hider (first hide, a hide celebrating or commemorating something, etc). Random tupperware in the woods, LP or guard rail caches, etc., maybe not. Your mileage may vary! :)
BillnVick
MGS Member

Post by BillnVick »

portlywalker wrote:I don't believe "green papers" are EVER appropriate to leave in a cache.
Can I ask why you say money is NEVER appropriate to leave in a cache? I've seen countless dollar bills in geocaches and personally know a cacher who leaves a 100$ Bill in one cache in each state that he vacations in each summer so one 100$ Bill a year in a different cache different state
I've never seen any rules about money being left at all and given how any times we have found dollar bills our selves (including the tracking where is George bills) and the caches dedicated to money from other countries example there's one of those in York county PA. And I believe In cockeysville MD there's a multi titles Alms for the world's poor that suggests leaving money from other places or even our green papers of our own country. Just trying to figure out why you believe is NEVER appropriate. I like to see and hear everyone's veiws on swag and things that shpuld or shouldn't be left. I would think the scratch offs and lottery tickets should be more so frowned upon then cash, given its am adult only purchase item but several people have began leaving them as ftf prize.

Ejwall
MGS Member

Post by Ejwall »

lpaulriddle wrote:Hard to go wrong with unactivated trackables. The FTF tokens are nice, and you can also get a 4-pack of travel bugs for $20 (at last check), release a couple yourself, and keep a couple as FTF prizes. I have a few geocoins I have not activated, that I am saving as future FTF prizes (or possibly gifts at holiday events).

I've also seen gift cards to places like Starbucks and Panera.

As to what kind of caches merit a FTF prize, that's very subjective. Obviously, you can't put one in a nano. I think it makes sense to leave a little something in a high-difficulty and/or high-terrain hide as a reward to the finder for putting in the effort required. A high-profile or high quality cache like a CAM, Geotour, or gadget cache might also fit the bill, as might a "milestone" hide for the hider (first hide, a hide celebrating or commemorating something, etc). Random tupperware in the woods, LP or guard rail caches, etc., maybe not. Your mileage may vary! :)
Ya, I did get a FTF coin, thought it would be a cool idea, thought about gift cards but wasn’t really sure if that was acceptable, lol

Ejwall
MGS Member

Post by Ejwall »

Submitted the cache for review, and thanks to SirCrab it is now published. Its an easy one. The Geocode is GC7QHTP for anyone who wants it.

Thanks for the advice!!
Phos4s
MGS Member

Post by Phos4s »

I've read many of the posts about FTF prizes and thought maybe it was worth sharing that I suspect most hiders are rather indifferent to such prizes and, in fact, to the whole concern about being first to find a cache. This morning I received a notice that a trackable I've been hoping to get to Dijon, France, had left Pas-de-Calais and arrived in Scotland (sigh!); that led to my checking out the Billy Idol: White Wedding cache where the TB now lies, waiting to return to France. That cache has been found 645 times (without a DNF!). Of course only one person (or group of persons) could cop the FTF honor. What's it mean to the recipient? What's it mean to the now 644 cachers who didn't receive the prize? That a cacher who lived near the hide and who had the time to go fetch the cache reached it before anyone else could? As the song says, "that don't impress me much." Don't get me wrong: I DO sometimes leave FTF prizes in my caches, though now I tend to use them as rewards for being first to solve a difficult puzzle. But I recognize that timing of publication matters a lot in the securing of these rewards, and I feel kinda bad that lots of working cachers, for instance, have far fewer opportunities to "earn" those FTFs. Maybe we could start a new trend in caching: awarding prizes to cachers who overcome serious obstacles to sign logs, like some of those crazy and even dangerous placements present to us. (Gotta climb a tree overhanging rocks? You get a prize! Gotta climb through 30 yards of narrow pipe, step through a waterfall, climb up a mossy ladder, crawl out on a steel grid? You get a prize!) But others overcome obstacles of a different sort. To most of us, for instance, a Terrain rating of 1 means an easy-peasy grab--the terrain is wheelchair-accessible. But to some folks in wheelchairs, putting ink on paper at those locations may be quite an achievement. Most of us can part the limbs of an evergreen easily enough, and do-si-do around the tree at will. But a cacher in a wheelchair is going to consider doing such things far more difficult. And nearly all of us take for granted that we're gonna use two hands to extricate, open, and log in on a cache--but some within our band of brothers and sisters don't have two hands, so just opening a peanut-butter jar is a significant accomplishment, probably requiring an awkward, under-the-arm grip--and nanos for such a cacher must be either impossible or require the assistance of fellow cachers or strong teeth. So, it may be nice to rack up a bunch of FTFs (I think they are among the stats we can post on our profiles, right?), but many of us can't get too excited about such things. Maybe we cache hiders should award prizes for those who persevere: give a prize to the cacher who makes the effort to redeem a DNF, or who invests an inordinate amount of time in searching. Maybe what I'm getting at is that for most of the cachers I know, that FTF recognition is not the point at all. Closer to the point is the joy of the hike, the arrival at a glorious location, the sniffing out of a well concealed hide, the solving of a cleverly crafted puzzle. It's sometimes said that virtue is its own reward; perhaps those facets of great caching are their own rewards too.
portlywalker
MGS Member

Post by portlywalker »

First it is appropriate to post the guidelines: https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines

Money is not specifically prohibited. I believe the omission is due to the presumed logic already stated about not making geocaches targets for any other activity than geocaching. They clearly understood non-commercializaation and speak to that. Since then some jokers could get enthused about exchanging opiods or other contraband. Just don't go there.
ProgKing
MGS Member

Post by ProgKing »

I always leave a live snake or a Heady Topper in all my new hides. I rarely leave venomous snakes though, unless it's in an area where Georicki might be FTF. :wink:
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

portlywalker wrote:Money is not specifically prohibited. I believe the omission is due to the presumed logic already stated about not making geocaches targets for any other activity than geocaching.
I don't really see the difference between money, a gift card, a $5-$10 coin or for that matter any type of swag. Any item could be a draw for others to pilfer the container once they know something is in it, but until they know it is there and opened, there is nothing to draw them to it.

The only questionable item I found that was a "FTF" prize was a nice disposable jet lighter that was placed in a cache that they refreshed and made ready for play again. Once I figured out they had placed them in more than one cache I made it my mission to collect as many as I could find. :doh:
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

ProgKing wrote:I always leave a live snake or a Heady Topper in all my new hides. I rarely leave venomous snakes though, unless it's in an area where Georicki might be FTF. :wink:

Would these be native or non-native and when are you placing a new cache outside of Georicki's area? :pray: :lol:
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------