Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Kayaking Newbie

General Chit-Chat.
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Kayaking Newbie

Post by MersonMonkeys »

Hello Geocaching friends!

I got a new Geotruck and now I am looking for my first toy. I had the opportunity to use a kayak fir the first time and I had a great time so I am in the market to buy one now.

I figured since so many of you own kayaks it would not hurt to ask people's opinions.

I am knew to the kayaking buying experience so I don't even know where to start.

The only thing I do know is that I want one you can sit down inside as I heard they are more stable. If you know me, I am a large guy so I am very top heavy. I weigh over 300 pounds. I also love fishing ;)

So am I over thinking this? Should I just buy any kayak within my weight limit that has fishing rod holders? Or our there any lesson learned, brands that are recommend, or types I should stay away from?

Anything would help as I don't even know where to start. Where would you buy a kayak outside of a Bass Pro Shop?

Are all paddles the same?

I am also looking for a cheaper kayak for my sons. Oldest is 11 and they are light weights.

Thanks so much!!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: Kayaking Newbie

Post by littleblkdog »

One thing I would do is look into renting before buying. There are a couple of places you can rent and then geocache. Piney Run Park in Sykesville rents kayaks and there are geocaches there. Also two of the Find Your Chesapeake Geotour caches in Delaware's Trap Pond SP have rentals available.

That way you can try a couple of different setups to see what you like best.

I would also definitely be checking out the marketplace on Facebook and craigslist to see what you can buy used. You can often get a really good deal there compared to buying new. If you want to buy new, waiting a few months till the winter sales might be a good idea too.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

+1 on buying used if you can. You can save a lot of money. A kayaking friend of mine recommended kayaktrader.com. I've not used it myself, but it looks to be a CraigsList-type site that is specific to kayaks.

If you're looking to do kayak caching trails, you will want something that is stable and maneuverable. The Wilderness Systems Pungo series seems to be very popular with geocachers. They are very roomy and not "tippy" at all. REI stocks the Pungo 120.

Fishing-specific kayaks have pole mounts built-in, but you can also buy add-on mounts for kayaks that don't have them.

There are stores out there that will let you "test drive" kayaks before buying. Annapolis Canoe and Kayak is one. That might be a good route to go if you're not exactly sure what you want.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

The suggestion to test drive is a great one. There are a wide variety of hull designs, and they all act quite differently in the water. Different hull designs for different purposes. Fo calm water kayaking (slow moving rivers and streams, lakes ponds and calm days in the marshlands around the bay), Wilderness Systems Pungo is a great choice. Note that the longer the hull, the better it will track (keep a straight course).
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

Thanks so much for the advice! I don't think I would ever had of thought of this!

You are all awesome, thanks!
Kitakima
MGS Member

Post by Kitakima »

When looking for paddles, the curved blade paddles are nicer than the flat blade paddles. Also test how they feel in your hands. A lighter weight paddle will be less tiring than a heavier one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
GR8CACHES
MGS Member

Post by GR8CACHES »

Never forget to take a close look at the seat. You will be in that seat a lot and the better the seat the happier you will be. I find I am in that seat on most caching trips longer than I expect and comfort should not be over looked. I got a used sit on top wilderness tarpon 100 (10.0 Foot) last year it has a great seat on it. When I got in the water with it the first time last year it felt very tippy. After sitting in and moving around in it that day I am not sure it would ever tip over before I fell out of it. I also got tested by a large boat that created a wake that came over the entire kayak and up to my chest, never lost the seat. I also have a tandem Wilderness 135 (13.5 Foot) you sit inside this one. You can also move the seats so that you can also use it solo. I also got it used. There are a lot of choices out there. I knew nothing when I got that first Kayak and I was happy to have gotten a higher end kayak but buying used saved me a lot of money. Check out the outfitters in the Harpers Ferry area this time of the year they start selling out the old stuff. I got the tarpon just across the bridge into MD. I know you are pretty close by to here.
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

Thanks for everyone's help! After much research and looking around I have purchased my first Kayak! I got it used and I am very excited to give it a try! It is a Cayman 11.5 and can actually hold my weight ;)

Now I just need to find out MD laws regarding life vests, registration, etc.
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

Make sure you always have a whistle in MD no matter what body of water you may be on. If the DNR can patrol it, they will. Beware the whistle police. I’m a big guy too, 6’5 300+ and I love my kayak. I have an 11.5’ perception (Taylor) swifty. It’s a sit in but the seat sucks. I was able to find a 4” thick seat pad which is extremely comfortable but when you raise the center of gravity, things get a little more tipsy. There is a Great Lake to paddle down in Montgomery Co that has a lot of kayak caches if they’re still there. That would be a great place to start before you get out into the river or anything with a current and tides. That’s where I “got my feet wet” in kayak caching.
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

Yes, the Little Seneca Lake (Black Hills) kayak caches are still there...though the lake is closed to boating from December 15-end of February.