Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Guardrail and LPC Hides

General Chit-Chat.
AyeeItsVictor
MGS Member

Guardrail and LPC Hides

Post by AyeeItsVictor »

I was wondering about your guys' opinions about LPC and guardrail geocaches.

I know, they are convenient for cache streaks and numbers, but do you really need an LPC every shopping centre or a guardrail every street corner? I'm not criticizing LPC or guardrail hides that have creative containers or show off a beautiful area, but do you really need over 1,000 guardrail and LPC caches? Some people just hide LPCs and guardrails just to fill in an area that doesn't have a cache. I don't think that is a good enough reason for hiding those types of caches. They seem that they are thrown around just for the sake of it, and no thought is placed into them. But you wanna know something even worse about those types of caches? Some of them aren't even maintained! These shopping centres and street corners don't have any amazing wildlife or beautiful views.

So what do you think about these? I would love to hear your opinion. (:
zekester
MGS Member

Re: Guardrail and LPC Hides

Post by zekester »

Careful what you ask for.

The first LPC you is interesting, because you learn something about your environment you never knew, and it seems clever. No real need to do another such hide after that, unless you are desperate to complete a streak or are working on a challenge.

Guardrail hides are similar, without the cleverness factor. More often than not there is a reasonable place for a more creative and interesting hide nearby.

One factor that often gets overlooked during cache placement considerations is travel bugs. The proliferation of streaking, power trails, and particularly of micro-sized containers often associated with LPCs and guardrails limits opportunities for TBs to have caches they will fit in, and thus limits that portion of the game. An unintended consequence of the introduction of the micro size, which was discussed in the Groundspeak forums years ago.

Good caching placement and production requires a significant level of effort and planning, including getting landowner's permission, (tell me ANY LPC or GR cache has that!) and due consideration of why it is worthwhile to bring a cacher to this specific geolocation. LPCs and GRs rarely show evidence of that. As you consider what caches are worthy of your time to seek, manage your expectations well; the less effort required in the placement of a cache, the less likely it is worth your time to seek. This, of course, is a biased view, but you did ask for opinions...

Geocaching is really a spectrum of activities, and each of us finds a way to participate which provides us with the rewards that we desire. For some, that is numbers and streaking, and LPCs and GRs are easy and quick and a dream come true for such cachers. Others value learning through geotrails, multis and historical based regular or multi-caches, or earth caches. Some revel in solving puzzles. Some live vicariously through the travel of their TBs. It really is what you choose to make of it. Find your own way.

I leave you with this though, from Thomas Jefferson:

""Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."

If there are caches or caching activities you don't care for, leave them to those that do. Focus your efforts on finding those caches and caching related activities that do bring you joy, and pursue those.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I think Zekester has it right and it is hard to say it better so I will say it differently.

Play the game the way you want. There are lots of tools you can use to sort and select the caches you want to see. Find those caches and give them favorite points when you appreciate the hide.

There is a forested equivalent to the LPC or GR cache. You can cleverly and appropriately hide a nano in the woods. That is not always done, sometimes it is a green bison tied to the end of a pine tree branch at the end of a five mile hike just to have another cache based on proximity rules.

Also, this game is played by people of all different abilities and interests. Some can't find those kayak or long hike caches that I treasure. But I still want them to play the game and bring their contributions for me to see and enjoy. The world is a better place with variety and the ability to make your own choices.
AyeeItsVictor
MGS Member

Post by AyeeItsVictor »

I totally agree with what you guys said. I don’t play the game like other people play it, but I still enjoy other people’s contributions to this game. Without it, we probably wouldn’t have as many caches to find or as many trackables to discover.
hostanut
MGS Member

Post by hostanut »

As gpsfun, the former Delaware reviewer, once told me:
"There's enough room in this sport for everyone......if you don't like LPCs, don't do them!"
Bears United
MGS Member

Post by Bears United »

While I appreciate inventive, carefully thought-out caches, sometimes it's simply delightful to be someone and have one nearby. I often don't have time to spend a day or even a few hours out searching, and appreciate a quick grab. It's not really about streaks or numbers, just about keeping my hand in the game when life is busy. So I'm all for whatever caches people want to place, as long as there continue to be lots of new ones :)