Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Cache-lumbus Day 2018 - Biking the Antietam Adventure

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
zumbido
MGS Member

Cache-lumbus Day 2018 - Biking the Antietam Adventure

Post by zumbido »

I have a government mandated holiday coming up on Monday October 8th and was planning on heading to Sharpsburg to do the Antietam Adventure (https://labs.geocaching.com/goto/antietam) on my bike. Along the way, I was also planning on picking up some the other caches out there including, the Bloodiest Day Wherigo (http://coord.info/GC1PWNV), the two virtuals there, and possibly swing out to grab the most favorited cache in the state A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words (https://coord.info/GC5DN6X).

Does anyone else want to dust off their two-wheelers (or big tricycle if that's your thing) and join me for a day of caching?

Here are the proposed details:

Date: Monday October 8th
Time: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Meeting spot: Visitors Center parking lot

Post here if you're interested.

Additionally, I should add that if you can't make it on Cache-Lumbus Day, the Maryland Geocaching Society is hosting a Geocaching 101 and Antietam Adventure Event on Saturday, October 14 (https://coord.info/GC7VQMD). Multiple opportunities to do some great Maryland caches with some of your caching friends.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Re: Cache-lumbus Day 2018 - Biking the Antietam Adventure

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Count me in like last year, rain or shine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
zumbido
MGS Member

Post by zumbido »

Still looking for folks to join FBOM and I for our Cache-Lumbus Day biking adventure. It should be a great day of biking and caching around Antietam. Post here if you're interested!
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Matt, Sadly I have to report that I will not be able to join you this year. I didn't realize that Cache-Lumbus Day falls on the anniversary of when I met my wife 46 years ago. It may sound happy, but it's a very important day from her standpoint that I dare not send it geocaching. My deepest apologies.
Al
zumbido
MGS Member

Post by zumbido »

For anyone who was wondering, I ended up completing the Antietam Adventure yesterday. I started on Columbus Day, but finished yesterday. What a fantastic journey through the battlefield. If I could give it a favorite point I would. Thanks to Hixon and everyone else who had anything to do with this wonderful adventure. We should do something like it at Gettysburg!

I should also note that all signs were in back in place along the tour.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Matt, just how far did you get on Cache-lumbus Day. Is it too long to accomplish in one day?
zumbido
MGS Member

Post by zumbido »

Well, I came completely unprepared. I didn't print out the Graveyard Puzzle or the Decoder Wheel before I made the trek. If I had done that, I probably would have been able to do it in a day. That being said, I got through the first seven stages and completed stage 8 at home.

I should also note that I abandoned my Cache-Lumbus Day bike ride and did the driving tour instead. I was glad too, because it was a steamy day when I did it in October. If you're riding a bike, I would allot a good 5 to 6 hours to get around to everything in the Adventure, as well as picking up the information for all the other great puzzle caches that rely on the information around the battlefield and the two excellent virtual caches along the way. That should allow you to do it at a leisurely pace. I believe the driving tour is about 8 miles long.