Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 Information Thread

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 Information Thread

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM 2019 INFORMATION THREAD

Subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2019 as it progresses from planning to completion!

If you don't see the link to subscribe to the topic, try again after logging in to the forums.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2019 Information Thread

Post by littleblkdog »

THE CAM 2019 KICKOFF EVENTS ARE PUBLISHED! GET YOURS TODAY!:

The four kickoff events are:
GC82QFV - West: Frederick hosted by hunterKat
GC82QFQ - North: Abingdon hosted by lpaulriddle and Soccertoa
GC82QFN - South: Bowie hosted by QUE3NBE3
GC82QFJ - East: Salisbury hosted by Pyro1970 and pegasusmoon

Which one will you attend?
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

The CAM 2019 Teaser Map thread has posted!! :shhh:

Find it and subscribe here!

:shhh: Be very quiet, we are hunting CAM caches! :shhh:
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Subscribe HERE to get the CAM files by email on the morning of CAM kick-off. This form will self-destruct the evening of March 15th so don't delay! (If you don't get an email acknowledgement (check your spam filter!) you probably didn't hit the submit button. Always hit the submit button! If you don't, well....it won't work and you will be unhappy.)

31,680 minutes until kick-off! :dance: :dance: :dance:
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM 2019 is only 10 days away! And it is 1 minute closer every 60 seconds! :dance:

When CAM 2019 kicks off at 8am on Saturday, March 16th, the .gpx and other related files will become available for download here in the 2019 CAM Information Thread on the MGS forum. (If you haven't already subscribed to the thread, please do so in order to receive notification of updates.)

KICKOFF EVENTS

The purpose of these events is to offer assistance with loading .gpx files onto GPS devices and to provide an introduction to CAM for first-time CAM participants. So if you've always wanted to try CAM but aren't comfortable with the technical aspects of loading the waypoints onto your device, attend the event nearest you and we'll help you get started! These events are also a great way to share in the excitement of the Big Reveal in the company of your fellow geocachers. (Attending an event is not required in order to participate in CAM; all geocachers are welcome to attend regardless of whether you intend to participate in CAM.)

GPX FILE DISTRIBUTION LIST
In addition, you can have the files e-mailed directly to you when they go live at 8am on the 16th. To receive them, fill out this link to submit your email address and receive a confirmation email. Your address will be placed on a distribution list for a one-time message with the files in it. We will also include download links in case your e-mail provider blocks the attachments for some reason.

WILL-ATTEND
If you intend to participate in CAM this year, please post your will-attend for the CAM Picnic. More information can be found on the CAM Picnic cache page.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM 2019 FAQ

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about CAM. Most of these questions have been accumulated from previous FAQs posted to the forum with a couple new ones added this year. Be sure to subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2019 as we approach the kickoff day!

What is CAM?
CAM (Cache Across Maryland) is an annual event hosted by the Maryland Geocaching Society. 10 members are chosen by the MGS to place a total of 10 CAM caches in various locations all over Maryland. Your mission is to find all 10 of those caches and have a wonderful time travelling around this fine State. If you find all 10 and gather the special code from each one, the location of the annual CAM celebratory picnic will be revealed, and you’re invited to attend.

When is CAM?
It varies from year to year, but the hunt typically begins on a Saturday in mid-to-late-March, and the picnic is typically the 1st or 2nd Saturday in May. This year’s CAM begins on Saturday, March 16th, and the picnic will be on Saturday, May 4th.

Where is the picnic?
Wouldn't you like to know! You need to find at least 10 of the caches and get the information from each one. The week before the picnic, we will publish a special decoder which will reveal the location of the picnic when paired with the information you discovered in each CAM cache (and circled on your CAM 2019 passport, right? Passports will be handed out with the files and at kickoff events). The picnic is held in a different location each year, and finding out where is part of the fun!

Who can participate?
Any geocacher can participate, regardless of experience. You must have a valid account on geocaching.com, and your geocaching.com username will appear on your Certificate of Completion. If you’re not a member of the MGS that’s OK, but you’re encouraged to join.

Do I need to find at least 10 CAM Caches to attend the picnic?
Yes! The picnic is a special event for those that find at least 10 of the caches, and you need to visit each cache to get the information needed to find the picnic.

Boy, there is a lot of driving needed to get all the caches! Can I join a group and carpool?
Of course! Just seek out other participants and form a group. Feel free to post in the CAM forums to team-up and find fellow carpoolers.

What can I expect the caches to be like? How hard are they?
The CAM caches are usually rated no higher than 2.5 Difficulty and 2.5 Terrain. Size is at least a regular. This year there will be various cache types, including Traditionals, Multi-Caches, on-site Puzzle caches!

What happens to the CAM caches after CAM each year?
The CAM caches are often transferred to the hider of the cache or otherwise adopted out and maintained like any other cache. In rare cases the hides are archived, for instance if hide permission is granted by the land manager specifically for CAM and only up until the date of the picnic.

Where is the cache information for each of the caches?
On the morning of opening day, the cache pages get published in the forums as .pdf files for viewing, and are also included in a special .gpx file you can load on your GPSr. They are NOT published on geocaching.com until after the picnic. The CAM caches will be published here on the MGS forums at 8.00am on March 16th. A word of warning: You MUST adhere to any restrictions on access times for the land the cache is placed on. Violating legal land access times will not be tolerated, is illegal, and puts future CAMs in jeopardy. MGS won’t bail you out of the pokey either. We try to put accurate hours on the cache listings, but it is your responsibility to comply with local laws and posted park hours.

If the CAM caches aren’t published on geocaching.com until after the CAM Picnic, what do I do about logging them in the meantime?
At the start of CAM, a topic will be opened here on the forums for each cache. You may log your experience in that topic and when the caches are published on geocaching.com after the picnic, you can cut and paste your logs. Of course, you can just keep your own notes somewhere until they are available for logging on geocaching.com.

I care what order my caches get logged on geocaching.com and I log using the real found date. If the CAM caches aren’t available for logging on geocaching.com until after the picnic, how can I keep them in order along with all my other finds during CAM?
The simple answer is that you can’t unless you wait till after CAM to log everything you found during CAM on geocaching.com. If you only worry about find milestone order, then you can use the milestone features on geocaching.com to keep milestones accurate in your account. You are strongly encouraged to backdate your logs on geocaching.com with the actual date during CAM that you found them.

I’ve got this really cool Travel Bug or other Trackable. Can I put it in a CAM Cache?
Please don’t. Since the caches aren’t published on geocaching.com during CAM, it isn’t possible to log them into or out of the cache, and that’s not fair to the owner of the trackable. So, please don’t place any in a CAM cache during CAM. If you find one, please take it with you and put it in a cache that’s listed on geocaching.com.

Is there any sort of reward for finishing?
Each person with a geocaching.com handle will receive a certificate for completing CAM. In addition, those geocachers who are able to attend the CAM picnic will receive a CAM geocoin trackable at geocaching.com.

If I cannot make the picnic, will I be able to get a certificate and a coin?
Any geocacher who does not attend the CAM picnic will still receive a certificate which can be picked up at a future event, but the geocacher will not earn a free geocoin.

Can I have someone else pick up my coin?
Sorry, you must be present to receive your coin.

Can I have someone buy a coin for me at the picnic?
Yes, once all coins have been handed out at the picnic, the remaining coins will be sold by the MGS officers. You can have someone buy a coin for you.

Each member of my family has their own geocaching.com handle, including our newborn. Will they each get a geocoin for completing CAM?
Every member of your family who has a geocaching.com handle and found at least 10 CAM caches will receive a CAM coin. Though we do not require it, we encourage families which earn several geocoins to make a donation to the MGS. Selling the remaining CAM geocoins is a way for the MGS to raise money to cover the cost of presenting CAM and other events through the year. Many MGS members with families give a donation at the CAM picnic to cover some of the cost of the geocoins their families earn. If you wish to give a donation, there will be a donation jar located near the sign-in table.

How will you know I’ve found all the caches and I’m finished?
Details on how to tell us you’ve finished can vary from year to year, but it generally involves sending an e-mail to a special CAM Completion e-mail address or submission of a form. It is VERY IMPORTANT to let us know you’ve finished so we can make the picnic as enjoyable as possible for everyone, and so we can have your Certificate of Completion ready for you. Stay tuned to this thread for more details on posting your CAM completion.

Is there anything else to do during CAM but find the caches?
There are often some other contests going on, such as the Best Photo contest, vote for your Favorite Hide, etc., and there are several competitions and awards at the picnic. Suggestions are always welcome!

What if I can’t find one of the caches, it's missing, or damaged?
You can contact any of the MGS Officers at any time to report any issue with a CAM hide during CAM. We’ll coordinate repair or replacement of a hide as quickly as possible so you can make another attempt, but you must find at least 10 of them to complete CAM. After the picnic, please contact the cache owner.

I’m really hungry after all that caching. What’s to eat at the picnic?
The picnic is a grand pot luck and barbeque. A few weeks before the picnic a forum topic will be started where you can tell us what you’re planning to bring. The 2019 CAM Picnic Food & Volunteer List is available now.

Who pays for all this?
You do, through your generous donation of time, goods, or money to the MGS. You can offer monetary support in various ways, including the purchase of MGS and CAM merchandise from the RH Promos, direct donations, purchase of an MGS Maryland License Plate, donations of items for MGS Silent Auctions, and participating in other fundraising activities throughout the year. Everything goes back to the community in accordance with our by-laws.

I usually get a hotel on the Friday before the start of CAM in (Ocean City, Elkton, St Mary’s County, Grantsville, etc). Can you let me know if I shouldn’t get a hotel room in one of those locations because there is not a CAM cache near there?
Part of the excitement of CAM is the secrecy of where the CAM locations are, so we will not make a statement, “Don’t get a hotel in Southern Maryland, because we didn’t put any caches there this year.” The CAM Teaser Map has already published; hopefully this will give you a fair sense of where you might need to travel and help you adjust your travel plans.

I’m new to geocaching and i don’t understand how to load .gpx files onto my GPSr. Is there any way i can get help with this?
Yes, we are hosting kickoff events to help introduce new geocachers to CAM and to assist with loading cache files onto their devices. The events will take place on Saturday, March 16th from 7.30–8.30am at the following locations:

KICKOFF EVENTS

How can i stay up-to-date with CAM announcements?
If you haven’t already, you should subscribe to the 2019 CAM Information Page on the forums. Scroll to the top of the CAM Info Page and click the ‘Subscribe topic’ link. If you need help, contact one of the MGS officers.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

2019 CAM Photo Contest

A photo competition will be held at the 2019 CAM Picnic featuring all those GREAT photographs you've taken on the CAM trail this year! The MGS Officers will judge all the photos submitted; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced for each category.

Categories:
  • Wildlife
  • People
  • Scenery
  • Other/Unusual
  • Kids (these are photos taken by children under 18 - can be from any of the other categories)

Rules:
  • One Photo per Category per geocaching.com username
  • The same photo can not be submitted in multiple categories
  • Photos must be 8x10, but do not require matting for framing
  • Uploading a photo to the gallery does NOT enter you in the contest; photos must be submitted for judging at the event
  • The following must be written clearly on the back of any submitted photo:
        1. Caching Name
        2. CAM Cache location
        3. Category

When you arrive at the CAM picnic on May 4th, give your photo to an MGS officer at the check-in table. All photos must be submitted by 11am to allow the judging of the photos. The winners will be announced after the presentation of certificates to the hiders.

We've had loads of really great photos submitted in past years, and everyone is looking forward to this year's submissions!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM 2019 Pathtags are in! You can get them here:

Order CAM 2019 Pathtags

You will need this password to complete your order: DIAMONDBACK7

The price is $20 per bag of 20 pathtags plus shipping. Don't delay ordering, MGS makes a small sum off of each bag and we normally sell out very quickly.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2019 KICKOFF

Post by littleblkdog »

* * * PLEASE OBSERVE POSTED PARK HOURS * * *
DO NOT ENTER AFTER HOURS, NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING

The Maryland Geocaching Society welcomes you to

Ten geocaches have been placed throughout the state of Maryland in locations specifically chosen to showcase its diverse beauty. From the mountains of Western Maryland to the wetlands of the Eastern Shore, CAM 2019 will demonstrate that Maryland truly is ‘America in Miniature’.

Below you will find all the information needed to complete CAM. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

In the download locations, you will find:
  • The .gpx file containing all 10 CAM caches
  • The .gpx file containing the CAM bonus caches.
  • A list of the CAM bonus caches
  • The CAM Passport
  • The Overview Map of all 10 CAM caches
  • A zip archive containing all of the above, plus a .pdf of all 10 cache pages
Those who find all 10 CAM geocaches AND attend the CAM picnic on May 4th will be awarded a CAM 2019 geocoin and a Certificate of Completion.

BE SURE TO FIND THE CODE IN EACH CAM CACHE! You can keep track of the codes on your CAM Passport, in a notebook, etc. THIS CODE IS VERY IMPORTANT!! Sometime during the last week of April, a decoder will post here in this forum thread. All ten codes you collect will be needed to determine the coordinates for the event.

CAM caches will not be published until the day of the event, Saturday, May 4th, so you CANNOT log them FOUND until then (even if you find fewer than 10, you can still log the ones you actually found). You may use the appropriate thread in the CAM forums as storage for your temporary logs. When the caches are officially published on geocaching.com, you can simply copy/paste your logs from the forums to the cache pages. NO SPOILERS PLEASE. :shame:

Speaking of photos, this year we will be doing another CAM PHOTO CONTEST, with the winners to be judged at the event. We also plan to have a vote for ‘Favorite CAM cache’ so keep that in mind when you are seeking them. We tried to keep everything uniform and bring you to each area, so rather than doing ‘scenic’ or ‘creative’, we’ll just lump it into one favorite, which can be for any reason!

There are several bonus caches being released this morning in conjunction with CAM. If these caches have not already been published this morning, they will be published shortly. Make sure these caches are loaded into your GPSr for some bonus fun!

Also, since the caches will not be listed until the event, DO NOT LEAVE TRACKABLES in the caches. If you want to dip your own TB/geocoin for mileage that’s fine (you'll need to log it after May 4th), but with no way to keep track of TBs, the CAM caches aren’t a good place to drop them until the caches are actually published.

Keep an eye on this thread. We will post a link to submit your CAM completion information in the coming weeks. Once complete with CAM you can fill in this form. This information will be used to create the CAM Certificates.

The picnic event will be Saturday, May 4th from 10am–4pm. The picnic will be potluck, please bring a dish to share. For those that have not attended an MGS event, there is always plenty of food so do not feel the need to feed a small army. At some point when it looks like you’re finished with CAM, please post a note with what you intend to bring so we don’t end up with too many of the same items.

OBEY ALL PARK HOURS! The caches are NOT night accessible. The CAM organizers realize this is a large undertaking, but please budget your time wisely so you’re not tempted to go in after dark. You risk being prosecuted or, at the very least, having your car locked in after hours. Some of the parks open at a specific time and not at sunrise. Please respect those hours. If you violate park rules, you risk losing your eligibility for a geocoin!

Good luck, have fun, be safe, and enjoy the scenery of our beautiful state. We hope to see you all on May 4th!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

The following links contain all the information needed to participate in CAM.

To download files, right-click the link and select ‘Save As’ or ‘Download’
For the sake of compatibility, some of the files are provided in both native format (gpx & pdf) and as compressed archives (zip). If you have difficulty with one format, try the other. The files are available both on the MGS Google Drive and on Dropbox.

MGS Google Drive: (zip files preferred for file integrity and they contain the gpx child waypoints)
• Gpx file of CAM and bonus caches  ( gpx | zip )
• Gpx file of all 10 CAM caches  ( gpx | zip )
• Gpx file of all bonus caches  ( gpx | zip )
• Bonus cache list  ( pdf | zip )
• Passport  ( pdf | zip )
• Overview Map  ( pdf | zip )
• All of the above, plus a pdf of the cache pages, all in one zip archive  ( zip )
      (contains gpx, bonus gpx, bonus list, passport, map, and cache pages)

MGS Hosted: (zip files preferred for file integrity and they contain the gpx child waypoints)
• Gpx file of all 10 caches ( gpx | zip )
• Passport ( pdf | zip )
• All of the above, plus a pdf of the cache pages, all in one zip archive ( zip )

Dropbox: (zip files preferred for file integrity and they contain the gpx child waypoints)
• Gpx file of all 10 caches ( gpx | zip )
• Passport ( pdf | zip )
• All of the above, plus a pdf of the cache pages, all in one zip archive ( zip )

* Your operating systme may try to send you the .gpx file as a text or xml file, in which case it may not load properly on your device. If you see a ‘.txt’ or ‘.xml’ extension at the end of the file name, simply change it to ‘.gpx’ and the file should work. For best results, download the .zip file instead.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Guides to loading .gpx files into popular smartphone apps.
(The official geocaching.com app DOES NOT support loading of .gpx files.)

Android:
 • c:geo  ( guide | app website )

iPhone:
 • Cachly  ( guide | app website )

littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 log threads

Post by littleblkdog »

The CAM 2019 log threads have posted in the Cache Across Maryland forum. You may post your CAM logs in these threads, but please, :shhh: no spoilers! :shame: On May 4th you will be able to log them on geocaching.com.

CAM 2019: Wye Island
  CAM 2019: Steppingstone Farm Museum
  CAM 2019: Patapsco Valley State Park - McKeldin
  CAM 2019: Green Ridge State Forest
  CAM 2019: Fort Smallwood Park
  CAM 2019: BOOM! - MGS!
  CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park
  CAM 2019: American Chestnut Land Trust
  CAM 2019: Algonquin Cross-County Trail
  CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg

Post by littleblkdog »

The text responder for CAM 2019: A Tour of Emmitsburg will only recognize the 7 letter answer. Send your answer as AAAAAAA or aaaaaaa and nothing else and you will get a response with the final coordinates. If you send anything else you will receive no reply. Good luck!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM Gear is here!

Get your CAM Gear here! Hats, t-shirts, long sleeve or sweatshirts check it out! Order by April 8th for shipping on April 22nd for delivery in time for the picnic.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM Gear is still available but time is running out!

We have a minimum order of 25 but only have 6 orders so far. If we don't reach the minimum all orders will be cancelled. Don't miss out on your chance for a nice CAM 2019 t-shirt!

Get your CAM Gear here! Hats, t-shirts, long sleeve or sweatshirts check it out! Order by April 8th for shipping on April 22nd for delivery in time for the picnic.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I wanted to clarify how the text responder for Emmitsburg works. It is text only and will not take voice calls or any other interaction. Text the answer (upper or lower case) and if the solution is correct it will immediately respond with the final. For the most part it will not respond to any incorrect answer. So if you don't get a response your answer is incorrect. Most people have been missing the third, fourth or fifth answers, particularly the third answer. The text responder has never failed to respond when given the correct answer so keep trying. Good luck!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 GEAR ORDER CANCELLED

Post by littleblkdog »

The CAM 2019 t-shirt order had to be cancelled because we didn't meet the minimum order. We needed to sell 25 t-shirts (or other types of shirts) to get pricing and we only got 9 orders. We did a survey on Facebook that received 23 positive responses before we finalized plans with Red Hat but we only had 9 orders by the cut off date. If you placed an order you should have received an email and a refund from Red Hat.

In case you were wondering the MGS gear in our stores is not a significant source of fundraising. The bulk of our fundraising is the sales of limited edition CAM coins and the Summer Picnic Auction. We only offer the gear because people have expressed an interest. MGS typically makes $2 per shirt sold.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Submit your CAM completion!

Post by littleblkdog »

Submit your CAM 2019 completion here! This will allow us to start printing certificates and make the list for CAM coins. The deadline for completion of this form is 2 May! Any delay and there is no guarantee you will have a certificate at the picnic. You will get an email response of your answers, if you don't get an email response first check your spam folder. If you still can't find it, contact littleblkdog via email for verification.

Submitting your completion is the most important CAM step! (Aside from finding 10 CAM 2019 geocaches AND attending the picnic! 8)

After you record your completion, don't forget to log your "will attend!"

And don't forget to let us know what you are bringing to the potluck picnic!

And before you ask, the decoder will be posted approximately a week before the picnic. So stay tuned!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 Limited Edition geocoins

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM 2019 Limited Edition geocoins are now available for pre-sale! The cost is $15. Before you ask what they look like, the finish is Antique Gold but the design won't be revealed until the picnic. I am pretty sure you will be surprised and happy with the design! (hope they arrive in time! 8) )

To reserve yours before the picnic, submit $15 dollars using the "friends and family" option via PayPal to sales@mdgps.org. If the form says "Paying for an item or service" chose the option to "change" and select "Sending to a friend" or your payment will be short. Be sure to put a note with your name and geocaching name and the reason for the payment e.g. "CAM 2019 LE coin"

There are only 85 of 100 left so don't miss out! Don't delay, we will sell out!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

It appears that CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park may be missing as of 4/20/19 in the afternoon. We hope to get a maintenance check done on it some time on 4/21/19. We will post here when its status is verified. If you find it in the meantime, please let us know.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

CAM 2019: Beverly-Triton Beach Park has been replaced and is ready for finding. Lots of activity in the park, please rehide well and be extra stealthy. Enjoy!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 Decoder!

Post by littleblkdog »

Announcing the much anticipated CAM 2019 Decoder:

CAM 2019 DECODER

Hopefully you remembered to make a note of all the attributes you found in the CAM caches. :pray: Simply locate and click on those same ten attributes in the decoder, and it will reveal the corrected coordinates to the picnic. Please remember this is NOT public information!

For the second year, there is a custom and personalized virtual souvenir of CAM 2019 (many thanks to ProdigiousOne for both the souvenir and decoder!). The souvenir is displayed at the bottom of the success page. Right click to save it and then you can display it on your geocaching profile.

:shame: Remember, don't share the coordinates! :shhh: :shhh:

Please also remember to:

- Submit your CAM completion to reserve your coin and certificate

- Log a will attend on the CAM 2019 Picnic

- Let us know what you are bringing to the potluck picnic

Don’t forget to bring your completed CAM 2019 passport to the picnic!

Have fun! And see you at the picnic.