Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: PVSP - McKeldin

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: PVSP - McKeldin

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: Patapsco Valley State Park - McKeldin logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: PVSP - McKeldin

Post by TeamRedOak »

3/16/2019 #2304 Had a great time with the dog today. We met up with other cachers along the way, traded path tags and I headed back. It was a great opportunity to let Gracie off the leash while we were alone near the falls. Then we met again off and on while finding the bonus caches.
LynchTrekkers
MGS Member

Post by LynchTrekkers »

Found with FooFinders, Soccer Lexie and The Testies69.
Grabbed CAM and all bonus except Sitting Tree.

Also found two other caches.

Now home, realize they're not listed on geocaching.com site.
Assume archived. How can I research this and clean up area if they should have been removed?

contact me thru geocaching.com ~Lynchtrekkers

can give approx coordinates and photo of GZ if someone is going by and they should have been removed.
THX
zumbido
MGS Member

Post by zumbido »

3/16/19
Find #2257: CAM 2019 is upon us and I was so excited to see that one McKeldin was chosen as one of the locations! Candyswirl and I decided to hit the trails to grab the CAM cache and all the newly published bonus hides that went with it. This was our fifth find of the morning.

After taking a great walk into the park, picking up the new hides along the way, Candyswirl and I finally made it to the posted coordinates. We looked at the signs and progressed through the questions. Candyswirl figured out the answers and I remembered the numbers she came up with. She punched in a waypoint on my app and then we checked our math using the checksum. We were a little off at first, but we easily corrected ourselves.

Then we made our way to the hide. It wasn't much of a mystery as we encountered a large group of cachers around GZ. I can't remember everyone's names, but it was nice to meet you all! I added our names to the log as Candyswirl took her time going through the swag. In the end, she left a couple of pins she had obtained from the Little League World Series, and took a laser pointer and a little egg full of goodies.

Thanks again to the organizers for putting a CAM hide in this area! It's so close to home for me and we were excited to get out and grab it on the opening day of CAM. TFTC!
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

The day was beautiful so we decided to go for some CAM caches. Our first stop was Patapsco Valley SP. We've never been here before. We quickly found the sign and headed to the cache. It was well hidden and we signed the log before some hikers caught us. Thanks for bringing us here! We also found 3 of the bonus caches and plan on coming back for more hiking and geocaching.
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

3/22/19 - Well, I got here after the day long rain storm. Trails had become small streams and had provided the cleaning process necessary to remove the horse poop others have commented on. I guess that's why there are so many flowers down in the flood plain.

The rapids area was thundering with the up-stream drainage. So loud was the cataract, that I felt rather than heard the passing coal train. No fishermen today. I think the fish hide also from this water.

On to the final. No one in the park today. Too muddy, I guess. Cache secure and log was dry. TFTC
DudleyGrunt
MGS Member

Post by DudleyGrunt »

Finally had a chance to start my first CAM 2019 cache, today. Been a while I'd has a chance to get into the woods and hit the trail. Even though, I know won't be able to finish all 10 by May 4 or even make the picnic, I hope to get a few by then and then finish up by June.

Ran into a number of folks and had a great time. Found this one with littleblkdog while he was out to check on it.

Thanks & Happy Trails, MGS CAM Team!
Find #5223 on this site.
CAM 2019 #1
Member - [Maryland Geocaching Society](http://www.mdgps.org)
Happy Trails! :smt006

Image Image Image

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things. - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
westminstergirl
MGS Member

Post by westminstergirl »

Did anyone else have a problem with the passport? Couldn't find the symbol
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

westminstergirl wrote:Did anyone else have a problem with the passport? Couldn't find the symbol
The symbol is on the passport. Look on the far right hand side about the middle of the column. It isn't an exact match to the code in the cache but it is the same.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 23th at 1 PM, CAM #3

mortards were up and out early (for mortards) today as we had a list of four CAM caches we were hoping to get. At first we spent some time at the rapids with several other cachers, eventually resulting in a DNF. Once we were done with that, we headed directly to the CAM cache as we needed to stay on schedule. The short hike to the cache was pleasant and we quickly made the find once at GZ. Soon after we were joined by Pyro1970, Pegasusmoon and KSullivan. We snapped some pictures by the water and enjoyed the beautiful spring day before going our separate ways.

We feel like we could have spent more time hiking around the trails and grabbing a couple more caches but CAM waits for no one and we had many more miles to travel today. Thanks for placing this CAM cache and for bringing us here. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Couldn’t pass up today’s weather! And my poor dog hasn’t seen the woods in a few weeks. So we loaded up and headed to McKeldin. I’ve been in this park a ton of times. Hiking before I ever heard about geocaching, hiking with the Cub Scouts, hiking with the Boy Scouts, almost (long story) participating in an MGS CITO, orienteering with QOC - but in all this time, I never knew you could drive back there!

First stop was the CAM cache. Gathered the info, verified the checksum, and headed off. Went a little too far away from the trail first, then came back and found the cache. While taking care of business, an older couple came by. Talked about geocaching, hiking, this park, and dogs for a few minutes. Caught up with them again a little later.

Ended up with 1 CAM cache find, 4 CAM bonus cache finds, and 1 CAM bonus DNF on Rapids.

5 CAM caches found, 5 to go.
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

03/17/2019 - CAM #4 - On this second day of CAM, I came up this direction as I really didn't have a plan and it was easy to get up here for me. I parked outside the park and did the bonus caches on my way to this cache. I had no difficulties with any of the caches until this one. Only because of the bounce and my misinterpretation of the hint. Fortunately I ran into Up and Down and we searched together. Mr. Up and down made the nice find after we scrambled around the area for a little while. TNLN TFTC
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was our first CAM series. We cached with a couple of other cachers on opening day.
We parked in the free parking area. There was a bonus nearby.
As we walked along the path to the sign, we accidentally discovered another bonus.
With two bonuses down, our juices were up, and so we went for a third bonus.
Eventually we made our way to the sign, and gathered the data needed to find GZ.
Unfortunately, nature was calling, and the restrooms are still closed. So, I had to curtail my participation. Everyone else visited the CAM cache, but we left the bonus for another day, and high tailed it back to the car, with an eye on getting to civilizations and restrooms.

Along the trail back, we encountered a baby snake. Photos were taken.
ToeJam89
MGS Member

Post by ToeJam89 »

Of course right after finding our first CAM cache our garmin died so we decided to forge ahead with just our smartphones...needless to say we got to the trailhead sign and answered all the questions and plugged the cords into our smartphones and on our way...nope, it took us back to the two picnic sites we passed right before the sign. We searched for a good two hours with no luck praying we would bump into fellow geocachers. I thought by the hint (between 2 sleepers) meant maybe the railroad?? Can someone please give us a shove in the right direction???
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Found Mar 25, 2019
On Sunday afternoon March 24, Jeanne and I arranged to meet at the parking outside the park and hike the trail to the CAM 2019 cache area. We had nice weather; cool, but mostly sunny and pleasant. Geodog Kacey had a great time along the trail and we got the bonus caches as we went.
When we got to the last bonus, we ran into trouble and couldn't find it. Then we somehow lost track of the CAM cache and ran out of time and had to head back to our cars.
On Monday we headed back to the area and decided to drive directly to the given coordinates. We quickly gathered the info we needed to calculate the final coordinates. We had a very pleasant hike to the cache. TFTH.
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

ToeJam89 wrote:Of course right after finding our first CAM cache our garmin died so we decided to forge ahead with just our smartphones...needless to say we got to the trailhead sign and answered all the questions and plugged the cords into our smartphones and on our way...nope, it took us back to the two picnic sites we passed right before the sign. We searched for a good two hours with no luck praying we would bump into fellow geocachers. I thought by the hint (between 2 sleepers) meant maybe the railroad?? Can someone please give us a shove in the right direction???
What coordinates did you get for the final? You're definitely off by a lot, it's not near a picnic site. I could point out what you might have gotten wrong from the coords you had.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
ToeJam89
MGS Member

Post by ToeJam89 »

I finally used Cgeo and I found it today!!! Thanks so much for reaching out to me!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

Sunday 3/24 CAM Cache #4

E n B sometimes do work at events selling concessions, and were scheduled to on 3/24 as well. However, we realized that the weather was just too fantastic to pass up and decided to blow off work and go grab the McKeldin caches. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as we got in the car B's back decided to act up really bad. Nonetheless, they soldiered on. We parked at the free parking area (really recommended if you're going to get the bonuses), and easily collected the first 4 bonus caches that were west of the park road. We then got our coords for the final and made the trek down the trail for it. GPS was bouncy but eventually the log was signed and the smiley achieved. We made the trek a little farther down to collect an Earth Cache in a scenic part of the park, then doubled back for the Rapids bonus. Climbed over lots of rocks to search for this one. Took the high road, and the low road, but never made the find. We'll be back someday to avenge that. Awesome time in the park today, even if it meant missing out on some money, it was worth it.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
AltaPete
MGS Member

Post by AltaPete »

Found today (3/28) pretty easily. Also found the sitting tree and the other one nearby :-)
Didn't see any wavyleaf grass (probably too early yet), though I have seen it before many places in this park (and some in the Avalon area also).
-- Pete
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3-23 CAM cache #2
Found with Pegasusmoon and Pyro1970. We parked so we could hike in getting all the bonus caches. We enjoyed the hike. We've been to this park before, but it's been a long time! Of course , I love any cache that involves rocks and water so I really enjoyed the walk between stages! Tftc