Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: American Chestnut Land Trust

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: American Chestnut Land Trust

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2019: American Chestnut Land Trust logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
larspolo
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2019 LOGS - CAM 2019: American Chestnut Land Trust

Post by larspolo »

American Chestnut Land Trust,
Stopping often, for clues we must.
On the way, we stop at first,
To count the acorns on a sign.
Then on again, to look at trees,
While onward walking,
Oh my knees!
Wait there's more!
I do deplore.
A bench to sit,
After many steps.
I sit and sit,
And sit some more.
I listen close for chirping frogs,
They groan and moan among the bogs.
Next a bridge,
Who's planks I count.
Then divide and add,
And write on my pad.
I pass the birdhouse,
As quiet, as a mouse.
Next a ferry,
It makes me merry!
Then up the hill,
My beating heart.
I stop at top,
To rest and fart.
Next the cache,
It's fun to see.
This kind of cache,
As made by me.
NetworkCacher
MGS Member

Post by NetworkCacher »

Started my CAM 2019 campaign here. The cache distribution this year meant this was the only one within a reasonable drive today. The parking area overflowed so I felt lucky to grab a legal space. The trails are in great shape, nice and dry in the bright sunshine and stiff breeze. Most of the early finders seemed to have moved on because it was surprisingly lonely the entire walk. Grabbing the bonus hides along the way definitely kept me motivated. The raft was a real surprise and one of those CAM moments I love. The tide was headed out with a visible and audible flow. The container was a nice surprise too, well crafted and nicely hidden. I grabbed a finger and the code. Just a spectacular day to start CAM. TFTC. :smt006 :dance:
Ken

flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

After typing a rather lengthy log detailing our adventures on this cache, I hit submit and everything disappeared. I think I had logged out for inactivity prior to typing my log....
The condensed version of my log.......
TFTC!
FTF with a group.
First CAM after attending the Southern kickoff event
When Snowsox says time to go - it's time to go!
Where did all these cub scouts come from? It's a little wolf pack!
The bonus and regular caches were like shiny things diverting our attention from the CAM cache
River crossing by raft - what fun! Found the wolf pack & had to wait our turn for the raft....tick-tock
That's a healthy uphill hike to the cache!
Found GeoRicks thumb! How will he take selfies without it?
River crossing back - lots more nearby hides to divert us from 'the plan'
Wow - that was a long CAM!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

What a great start to CAM 2019! Jeanne and I attended the Kick Off in Bowie and then headed down here for our first cache of the season. Part way through the stages of this one we joined a group to get some of the other caches along the way. We were having a great time and the weather was nice, but suddenly we realized that with 2 phones and a handheld, we were running out of power with all 3 devices and no charger/batteries. The Suttymonks came to our rescue, so instead of having to backtrack to the car, we tagged along with them for the rest of the adventure here.
This one will definitely get a fav point!
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

March 16 Attended the Salisbury Kick-off event with AfriendofB and found4life. Decided to go for ACLT for our first CAM cache, and after a leisurely chat with the great event hosts, we headed out for the drive. When we arrived, what a beautiful hike over hill and dale, with plenty of extra caches along the way, lots of other friendly cachers along the trail, and a very fun unexpected ferry. Even though I fell flat on my face in front of a whole crowd along the way, I loved this cache. TFTC.
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 23th, CAM #6

mortards were up and out early (for mortards) today as we had a list of four CAM caches we were hoping to get. Earlier in the day we'd heard this was a long cache and that is good information to consider when attempting this cache, as we were to discover. This was our last cache of the day and we thought we would still have plenty of time complete it but after many hills, bridges, boards, benches, ferries and blundered stages, this ended up taking much longer than anticipated. In our haste, we made a couple of stupid mistakes that cost us time and eventually we abandoned any thoughts of bonus caches or lingering to enjoy the journey to be sure we completed the CAM cache and exited the park before sundown.
At last we made it to GZ and thankfully we quickly found the cache container which we loved. We did what we needed to do and promptly headed back up the trail towards our vehicle.

We feel like we could have used more time to enjoy the journey, take some pictures and maybe grab some more caches but the beautiful colors of the sun getting low in the sky and the peacefulness of having the park all to ourselves were reward enough. This is definitely one of favorite CAM caches so far. Thanks for all the effort of placing this fantastic cache. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

3/24/2019 CAM #5 #2330 Wow I don't even know where to start. We had a great time here today. We grabbed the CAM and all the caches on the loop leaving a few unfound for another trip. Gracie loved it here, although she didn't like the water crossing. Mr. TRO had to pick her up and toss her onto the raft both coming and going. I am glad Mr. TRO was able to make it, I am not sure I could have gotten Gracie onto the raft by myself. Keeping track of all the stages of the multi's and letterboxes was a feat of itself that I would not have accomplished alone. We needed both GPSR's and one of the phones almost the entire way. We had a blast today. We are half way done with CAM 2019 and so far this was the best one. I am glad they are not all like this one though and we will not forget this day for a long time.
We planned 2 caches for today, this one and Edgewater. This was our only CAM cache, Edgewater is close enough to grab at any time. We arrived at the parking lot around 10:00 and got back to the car around 2:30. What a day!
Last edited by TeamRedOak on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

03/16/2019 - CAM #1 - On this first day of CAM, I linked up with a crew from the 2019 CAM Kick-Off: South event. Our crew was Fyregypsy, JL816, Snowsox, flamingo_girl, CodyHollowFarm, benlorma07, GnomeGCer and myself and we signed the non-CAM caches with MD Hounds to save space.

[:D] Co-FTF with the group. [:D] [:)] #14,600 [:)] All of the stages will easy and we continued on, picking up the bonus caches on the way. At the last stage before the final we ran into a very large group of cub scouts and their parents. It took a while to get across, but what a fun time it was. I've never done a crossing like that before. Quick find once at the final coordinates. Definitely giving this one a favorite vote. TNLN TFTC [FTF]

I tried posting the first day but was logged out by the site.

This happened again today - but this time I copied my post before hitting submit.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

03/24/19 - What a very long day I had here. The CAM 2019 multi alone, was scaring me with all of those stages, as I knew I'd mess up somewhere. Then the other bonus caches to top it off. I was thinking that doing it all in one outing would be too much for my little brain. Then I heard some good things about it, and then I heard a few problems cachers were having. The wife and I pulled into Prince Frederick early Saturday evening. I was thinking on going after just the main CAM cache, and getting an early start tomorrow, as we've been grabbing old CAM caches on our trips. I decided to sleep on it.

The wife and I woke up at 0530 hours, went to Bob Evans for breakfast, then I dropped her off at WalMart and I was in the park 0745 hours. Didn't see any other cars or people. The plan was to work of the main attraction of course, but to try any others I came across and to see how I do. Caches, stages, questions, answers, numbers, projections, and so much more, my brain was ready to pop, but I kept chugging along, taking notes, having fun climbing trees, riding the rapids, enjoying the nice variety in shapes, sizes and terrain.

Had a few hiccups here and there, reached out to a few fellow cachers for a hint here or there, and the CO was quick with any questions I had. Even got to meet her at the end of my adventure. I was able to complete everything, and I didn't make one mistake on the main CAM cache. Ha. And ProgKing says I'm stupid.

I spent a good 4 hours in the park but enjoyed every minute. Other than the CO, the only other bodies I saw the whole day was a family of 4, not cachers, just hiking the trail to ride the raft. The temperature was below freezing when I started, but it didn't take long for me to warm up, and it was in the high 50's when I came to the end. A new park for me, and I really enjoyed it. As for the raft, I thought it was a bunch of garbage someone started as a joke, until I got to see it, and then rode it. If you have the time, I highly recommend you do the whole series here. A favorite point to this one once it's published.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

We had a minor issue on Saturday. Our checksum didn't add up correctly, but the result we got was consistent with where I expected the path to lead. So, we went on anyway. Around the raft, we encountered some geo-friends returning from the cache. We were so busy chatting that I completely forgot to verify the coordinates. Continuing on, it dawned on me that we weren't actually sure that we knew the correct coordinates for GZ. Fortunately, we encountered another cacher returning from the hide, and confirm that our coordinates were off, and how they were off. I plugged in the corrected coordinates, and off we went. Sure enough, we soon found the cache. I plugged in the bad coordinates, and it was 80 feet away. Close enough if we were lost and looking for camp, not enough for a cache.
acadiacats
MGS Member

Post by acadiacats »

Warlock's birthday Part 1: Warlock0714 was celebrating his (??th) birthday today (Sunday March 24th) and we had planned our day to do this and the two CAM caches closer to Annapolis afterward. The day was planned to maximize our time at this location as it appeared to be a bit more involved than the other two that we had on the day's menu. We got off to an early start for the drive sown south from Towson, and arrived at the parking area by the farm about 10:30. It was a little cool out so we were a bit bundled up but it turned out to be a delightful day as it progressed. We were totally enjoying this beautiful place and finding the clues was the easy part, for sure. One small misstep at the bridge but that was quickly corrected and we proceeded onward. The raft was being used by a group of children but they kindly let us board to make the crossing. It got a bit interesting here, Warlock tossed his hiking stick onto the shore and decided to kind of hop up onto the landing, grabbing onto the sign as he made the leap....well, the sign wasn't very sturdy and it kind of swiveled and threw him to the ground, right at the water's edge. His phone went flying and so did his sunglasses....but by a stroke of luck the phone landed inches from the water and so did the glasses. Warlock narrowly missed getting a good soaking, but managed to haul himself up and was only a bit humiliated by his performance in front of the giggling kids on the other side..... :-D
We then made our way up the steep hill and made the find, a nicely designed container for sure!

Our next small bumble was hoping we could just continue onward and not have to backtrack-we were both dreading going DOWN that hill (bad knees...) but we made it and took a rest on the bench by the water. Speaking of which, I had none. My water bottle got lost somewhere along the way and that was a huge mistake! I was really having trouble and was truly not sure I was going to make it back to the car. We skipped the bonuses because I was in dire straits literally dying of thirst-couldn't even swallow....and Warlock's knees were giving out. We got to the small lot and I really was going to just lay down on the ground and let nature take its course, but a REALLY REALLY nice couple who lived in the area drove me to my cache car in the other lot where I revived myself by drinking two big bottles of water stashed in there. Warlock wanted to walk the rest of the way and got there shortly. The couple who gave met the short ride really went out of their way, they had a non stranger-friendly dog with them and the guy took the dog and got out so I could get in the car and his girlfriend drove me. They were not geocachers but I felt so lucky that we crossed paths.
This was a really beautiful place and I think will be even more so when the spring flowers start to bloom and the trees bud out.
We left and made a fast food stop so I could get even more water and then headed up rt 2 to hit Beverly for our next stop of the day.
gardenNclay
MGS Member

Post by gardenNclay »

Was a great day for this hide. Long but a nice hike on a great trail. We were with Zepp914. As he drove up juat as we got out of our car. Loved the raft, LOVED it. We had a bit of a panic when we discovered out number did not add to the correct sum. So a hint. READ ALL THE instructions carefully as on a GPS sometimes you need to scroll down to read it all. Had to call a lifeline but all ended up well as we got the find. Several groups out caching today plus lots of families just hiking. We picked all of ghe bonus caches as well. Then on to Beverly-trident
gardenNclay
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/19/19 - I am soooooo behind with the cache logs. I need rainy days so I can write up the logs. But the nice weather just invites for another cache run! This park was so much fun. Weekday caching matches my caching style and I don't get distracted. I spent 5-6 hours here and thoroughly enjoyed every minute, even the DNFs. Good thing I was doing the G.O. Joe: Home for the Holidays series up in Carroll County leading up to CAM. All that up and down preped me for all the CAM hikes. TFTC TFTH
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #9 04/04
This was a fun hike for us, and one that we will likely do again thanks to this cache. It was a bit more than any of the other CAM caches we have ever done with a 3.5 mile round trip hike and a few very challenginging hills, but the ferry ride at the end made it fun. Thanks for taking the time to place this very special CAM cache.
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

Wednesday, April. 3 CAM #8, two to go!
Today was the third and last day of our third CAM trip. We arrived at an empty parking lot and hit the trail, gathering CAM information and logging two bonus finds and one DNF. With new coords we soon found the final and returned to our GeoOutback, collecting two more bonus caches on the way. At the car my GPSr showed we had walked 3.36 miles. At that point we had logged the six CAM caches we crossed the Bay to get, but that DNF haunted us, so we grabbed a GeoTool and started down the trail again. Walking along we met TicksDigMe, and were able to clarify something for him. He, in return, offered to assist us redeeming our DNF. With that last planned cache found, we continued on around the loop to the car, AGAIN, adding another 2.72 miles to our walk, but worth it to go home with everything searched for found. This CAM reminded us very much of the CAM's of years ago: long walks, lots of hills, and water nearby. Thanks to MGS and the hiders for this memorable cache! We drove 670 miles his trip, logging six CAM caches.
J.J.PEW
MGS Member

Post by J.J.PEW »

We weren't expecting it to be as warm as it was, but it was a beautiful day for a hike. We enjoyed the raft and were glad we had to use it. Made the find quickly before heading back to the car. Thanks for all your hard work. 7 down, 3 more to go.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Parked in the wrong spot, but that worked out perfectly because as I was stumbling around, DecafSaysMoof and MagnusMoose pulled up. I hopped in their car and we headed over to a much better parking spot.

We picked up one of the bonus caches on the way, found all the stages, corrected each other’s mistakes on a couple of the answers, and made our way by land and sea to the cache. The “by sea” part of this cache was a pretty cool and unexpected bonus!

Dropped a CAM 2019 pathtag and a joejackson pathtag.

TFTC!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

After attending the MGS CITO across the river, we fueled up at Wendy’s and headed to ACLT for the CAM cache. This was the first time I had ever been here. It was a great hike down to the water, with just a little bit of mud after last night’s rain. It sprinkled off-and-on for part of the time we were here, but never rained heavily enough to be bothersome. The hand-operated ferry was a huge hit with my kids and nephew. They spent awhile going back and forth (in between groups of cachers coming and going) and doing typical stupid teen stuff. They also spent a good 30 minutes at Stage 3, getting completely soaked in the process. Good thing we brought extra clothes! In between all of this, we somehow managed to collect all of the correct clues. The final challenge was dragging the kids away from the ferry long enough to go find the cache. Once we arrived, it was a quick find. Great hike and great hide. We only found a few of the many caches here today, so I’ll definitely be returning one of these days. TNLNSL. TFTC!