Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Adventure Labs

What's New And Exciting in Geocaching
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Adventure Labs

Post by littleblkdog »

Groundspeak recently updated and renamed Lab caches and it has opened a new chapter in geocaching. The concept of an Adventure has been combined with Lab caches. You can find more information here. A typical Adventure lab will consist of 5 or 10 individual lab caches similar to MGS' Antietam Adventure at the Antietam National Battlefield. The old website has been closed to help prevent armchair logging and you can no longer download GPX files. Everything will be accomplished in new smartphone app called "Adventure lab".

In order to help test out the product and build more Adventure labs, Groundspeak selected a number of geocaching organizations and 250 selected geocachers around the world to build-out the number of Adventure labs. Both MGS and NoVAGO were selected along with lpaulriddle (I think that L might stand for lucky!). You can now find the MGS offering on Historical Women of Maryland at 10 locations around the state, the NoVAGO offering at the USMC Museum in Northern Virginia and lpaulriddle's creation in Ellicott City. Both NoVAGO and lpaulriddle's offerings include associated mystery caches so you can get a more traditional geocaching experience too! If you are interested, and I imagine you would be, download the app, login with your geocaching credentials and find some lab caches! Once you login, a list of available Adventure labs will be displayed ordered from nearest to farthest. To get started, make a selection and navigate to it, read the question, enter the answer and you will have found a lab cache!
mcgmarauders
MGS Member

Re: Adventure Labs

Post by mcgmarauders »

Enjoying the new Adventure Labs caches but it seems that the only way to view these is using the app. For travel planning it would be convenient to see these identified on a map showing all of them by state, province or country. Does anyone know if this exists anywhere?
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: Adventure Labs

Post by littleblkdog »

Right now the only way to view them is in the app. I have heard that there are plans to have something of an “overview/map” but nothing yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk