Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Information Thread

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Information Thread

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020 INFORMATION THREAD

Subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2020 as it progresses from planning to completion!

If you don't see the link to subscribe to the topic, try again after logging in to the forums.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2020 Information Thread

Post by tazscouter »

THE CAM 2020 KICKOFF EVENTS ARE PUBLISHED! GET YOURS TODAY!:

The five kick-off events:
GC8GPVX – North: Abingdon – hosted by CodyHollowFarm
GC8GPVW – West: Hagerstown – hosted by lpyankeefan and AL's Guide
GC8JXJ5] – Central: Columbia – hosted by lpaulriddle
GC8GPVZ – South: Waldorf – hosted by tazscouter — CANCELLED
GC8GPVY – East: Salisbury – hosted by Pyro1970 and pegasusmoon

Which one will you attend?
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020 FAQ

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about CAM. Most of these questions have been accumulated from previous FAQs posted to the forum with a couple new ones added this year. Be sure to subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2019 as we approach the kickoff day!

What is CAM?
CAM (Cache Across Maryland) is an annual event hosted by the Maryland Geocaching Society. 10 members are chosen by the MGS to place a total of 10 CAM caches in various locations all over Maryland. Your mission is to find all 10 of those caches and have a wonderful time travelling around this fine State. If you find all 10 and gather the special code from each one, the location of the annual CAM celebratory picnic will be revealed, and you’re invited to attend.

When is CAM?
It varies from year to year, but the hunt typically begins on a Saturday in mid-to-late-March, and the picnic is typically the 1st or 2nd Saturday in May. This year’s CAM begins on Saturday, March 14th, and the picnic will be on Saturday, May 2nd.

Where is the picnic?
Wouldn't you like to know! You need to find at least 10 of the caches and get the information from each one. The week before the picnic, we will publish a special decoder which will reveal the location of the picnic when paired with the information you discovered in each CAM cache (and circled on your CAM 2019 passport, right? Passports will be handed out with the files and at kickoff events). The picnic is held in a different location each year, and finding out where is part of the fun!

Who can participate?
Any geocacher can participate, regardless of experience. You must have a valid account on geocaching.com, and your geocaching.com username will appear on your Certificate of Completion. If you’re not a member of the MGS that’s OK, but you’re encouraged to join.

Do I need to find at least 10 CAM Caches to attend the picnic?
Yes! The picnic is a special event for those that find at least 10 of the caches, and you need to visit each cache to get the information needed to find the picnic.

Boy, there is a lot of driving needed to get all the caches! Can I join a group and carpool?
Of course! Just seek out other participants and form a group. Feel free to post in the CAM forums to team-up and find fellow carpoolers.

What can I expect the caches to be like? How hard are they?
The CAM caches are usually rated no higher than 2.5 Difficulty and 2.5 Terrain. Size is at least a regular. This year there will be various cache types, including Traditionals, on-site Puzzle caches, virtuals and a wherigo.

What happens to the CAM caches after CAM each year?
The CAM caches are often transferred to the hider of the cache or otherwise adopted out and maintained like any other cache. In rare cases the hides are archived, for instance, if hide permission is granted by the land manager specifically for CAM and only up until the date of the picnic.

Where is the cache information for each of the caches?
On the morning of opening day, the cache pages get published in the forums as .pdf files for viewing, and are also included in a special .gpx file you can load on your GPSr. They are NOT published on geocaching.com until after the picnic. The CAM caches will be published here on the MGS forums at 8.00am on March 14th. A word of warning: You MUST adhere to any restrictions on access times for the land the cache is placed on. Violating legal land access times will not be tolerated, is illegal, and puts future CAMs in jeopardy. MGS won’t bail you out of the pokey either. We try to put accurate hours on the cache listings, but it is your responsibility to comply with local laws and posted park hours.

If the CAM caches aren’t published on geocaching.com until after the CAM Picnic, what do I do about logging them in the meantime?
At the start of CAM, a topic will be opened here on the forums for each cache. You may log your experience in that topic and when the caches are published on geocaching.com after the picnic, you can cut and paste your logs. Of course, you can just keep your own notes somewhere until they are available for logging on geocaching.com.

I care what order my caches get logged on geocaching.com and I log using the real found date. If the CAM caches aren’t available for logging on geocaching.com until after the picnic, how can I keep them in order along with all my other finds during CAM?
The simple answer is that you can’t unless you wait till after CAM to log everything you found during CAM on geocaching.com. If you only worry about find milestone order, then you can use the milestone features on geocaching.com to keep milestones accurate in your account. You are strongly encouraged to backdate your logs on geocaching.com with the actual date during CAM that you found them.

I’ve got this really cool Travel Bug or other Trackable. Can I put it in a CAM Cache?
Please don’t. Since the caches aren’t published on geocaching.com during CAM, it isn’t possible to log them into or out of the cache, and that’s not fair to the owner of the trackable. So, please don’t place any in a CAM cache during CAM. If you find one, please take it with you and put it in a cache that’s listed on geocaching.com.

Is there any sort of reward for finishing?
Each person with a geocaching.com handle will receive a certificate for completing CAM. In addition, those geocachers who are able to attend the CAM picnic will receive a CAM geocoin trackable at geocaching.com.

If I cannot make the picnic, will I be able to get a certificate and a coin?
Any geocacher who does not attend the CAM picnic will still receive a certificate which can be picked up at a future event, but the geocacher will not earn a free geocoin.

Can I have someone else pick up my coin?
Sorry, you must be present to receive your coin.

Can I have someone buy a coin for me at the picnic?
Yes, once all coins have been handed out at the picnic, the remaining coins will be sold by the MGS officers. You can have someone buy a coin for you.

Each member of my family has their own geocaching.com handle, including our newborn. Will they each get a geocoin for completing CAM?
Every member of your family who has a geocaching.com handle and found at least 10 CAM caches will receive a CAM coin. Though we do not require it, we encourage families which earn several geocoins to make a donation to the MGS. Selling the remaining CAM geocoins is a way for the MGS to raise money to cover the cost of presenting CAM and other events through the year. Many MGS members with families give a donation at the CAM picnic to cover some of the cost of the geocoins their families earn. If you wish to give a donation, there will be a donation jar located near the sign-in table.

How will you know I’ve found all the caches and I’m finished?
Details on how to tell us you’ve finished can vary from year to year, but it generally involves sending an e-mail to a special CAM Completion e-mail address or submission of a form. It is VERY IMPORTANT to let us know you’ve finished so we can make the picnic as enjoyable as possible for everyone, and so we can have your Certificate of Completion ready for you. Stay tuned to this thread for more details on posting your CAM completion.

Is there anything else to do during CAM but find the caches?
There are often some other contests going on, such as the Best Photo contest, vote for your Favorite Hide, etc., and there are several competitions and awards at the picnic. Suggestions are always welcome!

What if I can’t find one of the caches, it's missing, or damaged?
You can contact any of the MGS Officers at any time to report any issue with a CAM hide during CAM. We’ll coordinate repair or replacement of a hide as quickly as possible so you can make another attempt, but you must find at least 10 of them to complete CAM. After the picnic, please contact the cache owner.

I’m really hungry after all that caching. What’s to eat at the picnic?
The picnic is a grand pot luck and barbeque. A few weeks before the picnic a forum topic will be started where you can tell us what you’re planning to bring. The 2020 CAM Picnic Food and Volunteer List

Who pays for all this?
You do, through your generous donation of time, goods, or money to the MGS. You can offer monetary support in various ways, including the purchase of MGS and CAM merchandise, direct donations, purchase of an MGS Maryland License Plate, donations of items for MGS Silent Auctions, and participating in other fundraising activities throughout the year. Everything goes back to the community in accordance with our by-laws.

I usually get a hotel on the Friday before the start of CAM in (Ocean City, Elkton, St Mary’s County, Grantsville, etc). Can you let me know if I shouldn’t get a hotel room in one of those locations because there is not a CAM cache near there?
Part of the excitement of CAM is the secrecy of where the CAM locations are, so we will not make a statement, “Don’t get a hotel in Southern Maryland, because we didn’t put any caches there this year.”

I’m new to geocaching and i don’t understand how to load .gpx files onto my GPSr. Is there any way i can get help with this?
Yes, we are hosting kickoff events to help introduce new geocachers to CAM and to assist with loading cache files onto their devices. The events will take place on Saturday, March 14th from 7.30–8.30am at the following locations:

KICKOFF EVENTS

The five kick-off events:
GC8GPVX – North: Abingdon – hosted by CodyHollowFarm
GC8GPVW – West: Hagerstown – hosted by lpyankeefan and AL's Guide
GC8JXJ5] – Central: Columbia – hosted by lpaulriddle
GC8GPVZ – South: Waldorf – hosted by tazscouter — CANCELLED
GC8GPVY – East: Salisbury – hosted by Pyro1970 and pegasusmoon

How can i stay up-to-date with CAM announcements?
If you haven’t already, you should subscribe to the 2019 CAM Information Page on the forums. Scroll to the top of the CAM Info Page and click the ‘Subscribe topic’ link. If you need help, contact one of the MGS officers.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

Click HERE to get the CAM files by email about 8:00 AM on the morning of CAM kick-off.

If you don't get an email acknowledgement (check your spam filter!) you probably didn't hit the submit button. Always hit the submit button! If you don't, well....it won't work and you will be unhappy.

Updated: March 14, 2020, 3:30 PM. We are no longer accepting email address for CAM files. You can access that information further down in this thread and download the information yourself.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The CAM 2020 Teaser Map has posted!! :shhh:

CLICK HERE to view and subscribe to the Teaser Map thread.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

2020 CAM Photo Contest

A photo competition will be held at the 2020 CAM Picnic featuring all those GREAT photographs you've taken on the CAM trail this year! The MGS Officers will judge all the photos submitted; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced for each category.

Categories:
• Wildlife
• People
• Scenery
• Other/Unusual
• Kids (these are photos taken by children under 18 - can be from any of the other categories)

Rules:
• One Photo per Category per geocaching.com username
• The same photo can not be submitted in multiple categories
• Photos must be 8x10, but do not require matting for framing
• Uploading a photo to the gallery does NOT enter you in the contest; photos must be submitted for judging at the event
• The following must be written clearly on the back of any submitted photo:
1. Caching Name
2. CAM Cache location
3. Category

When you arrive at the CAM picnic on May 2nd, give your photo to an MGS officer at the check-in table. All photos must be submitted by 11am to allow the judging of the photos. The winners will be announced after the presentation of certificates to the hiders.

We've had loads of really great photos submitted in past years, and everyone is looking forward to this year's submissions!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

With COVID-19 being at the forefront of everyone’s minds, the decision was made by the MGS Core and directors that we will still be hosting the CAM Kick-off events. (Except the South).

If you are concerned for your safety, please don’t feel that you have to attend. You can go to the forums on the MGS site, go to the Cache Across Maryland page and click the link to register to get the information by email the morning of CAM, around 8:00 AM.

According to the CDC, older adults and those with serious chronic medical conditions or a preexisting medical condition, you should consider not attending.

The availability of appropriate hygiene products such as soap and water, hand sanitizer, tissues, etc should be available.

If you are concerned about exposure to the coronavirus, please stay home. We do not want anyone getting sick.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 - CAM File Download Links

Post by tazscouter »

The Maryland Geocaching Society welcomes you to

Twelve geocaches have been placed throughout the state of Maryland in locations specifically chosen to showcase its diverse beauty. From the mountains of Western Maryland to the wetlands of the Eastern Shore, CAM 2020 will demonstrate that Maryland truly is ‘America in Miniature’.

COVID-19 PANDEMIC ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦

We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation as it evolves. The information outlined below reflects the customary CAM rules and requirements, however we are prepared to reassess and adjust as needs arise. Our primary concern at this time is for the safety and well-being of CAM participants. Park closures and event restrictions are very real possibilities. Please be certain to subscribe to this thread for the latest updates and announcements.

✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦

Below you will find all the information needed to complete CAM. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

In the download section you will find:
  1. A .gpx file containing the 12 CAM caches
  2. A .gpx file containing the 12 CAM caches and CAM Bonus caches
  3. A list of all CAM caches and CAM Bonus caches
  4. The CAM Passport
  5. The Overview Map of all 12 CAM caches
  6. A zip archive containing all of the above, plus pdfs of all 12 cache pages

While there are 12 CAM caches this year, you only need to find 10 of them to qualify for a Certificate of Completion. The 9 traditional and mystery caches are REQUIRED. For your 10th cache, you may choose a wherigo or virtual. Those who find at least 10 required CAM caches and attend the CAM picnic on May 2nd will also be awarded a CAM 2020 geocoin. Those who find all 12 CAM caches will receive a special digital souvenir.

BE SURE TO FIND THE CODE IN EACH CAM CACHE! You can keep track of the codes on your CAM Passport, in a notebook, etc. THIS CODE IS VERY IMPORTANT!! Sometime during the last week of April, a decoder will post here in this forum thread. All ten codes you collect will be needed to determine the coordinates for the event.

CAM caches will not be published until the day of the event, Saturday, May 2nd, so you CANNOT log them FOUND until then (even if you find fewer than 10, you can still log the ones you actually found). You may use the appropriate thread in the CAM forums as storage for your temporary logs. When the caches are officially published on geocaching.com, you can simply copy/paste your logs from the forums to the cache pages. NO SPOILERS PLEASE. :shame:

This year we will be doing another CAM PHOTO CONTEST, with the winners to be judged at the event. We also plan to have a vote for ‘Favorite CAM cache’ so keep that in mind when you are seeking them. We tried to keep everything uniform and bring you to each area, so rather than doing ‘scenic’ or ‘creative’, we’ll just lump it into one favorite, which can be for any reason! For more information, read the Photo Contest forum post.

There are several bonus caches being released this morning in conjunction with CAM. If these caches have not already been published this morning, they will be published shortly. A gpx file including the bonus caches can be found in the download section below. Make sure these caches are loaded into your GPSr for some bonus fun!

Also, since the caches will not be listed until the event, DO NOT LEAVE TRACKABLES in the caches. If you want to dip your own TB/geocoin for mileage that’s fine (you'll need to log it after May 2nd), but with no way to keep track of TBs, the CAM caches are not suitable for dropping them until the caches are actually published. (Dropping TBs in bonus caches is fine.)

Keep an eye on this thread. We will post a link to submit your CAM completion information in the coming weeks. Once you have completed CAM, you can fill in this form. This information will be used to create the CAM Certificates.

The picnic event (GC8GPVQ) will be held on Saturday, May 2nd from 11am–4pm. The picnic will be potluck, please bring a dish to share. For those who have not attended an MGS event, there is always plenty of food, so do not feel the need to feed a small army. At some point when it looks like you’re finished with CAM, please post a note on this forum thread with what you intend to bring so we don’t end up with too many of the same items.

✦ ✦ ✦ OBSERVE AND OBEY POSTED PARK HOURS ✦ ✦ ✦

The caches are NOT night accessible. The CAM organizers realize this is a large undertaking, but please budget your time wisely so you’re not tempted to go in after dark. You risk being prosecuted or, at the very least, having your car locked in after hours. Some of the parks open at a specific time and not at sunrise. Please respect those hours. If you violate park rules, you risk losing your eligibility for a geocoin!

We are fortunate to be welcomed into State and County parks agin this year, and we hope to maintain our good relationship with the park services by obeying all rules and regulations. If you see a park ranger during your visit, be sure to express your thanks and appreciation!

Good luck, have fun, be safe, stay healthy, and enjoy the scenery of our beautiful state. We hope to see you all on May 2nd!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

The following links contain all the information needed to participate in CAM.

To download files, right-click the link and select ‘Save As’ or ‘Download’
For the sake of compatibility, some of the files are provided in both native format (gpx & pdf) and as compressed archives (zip). If you have difficulty with one format, try the other. The files are available from the MGS Dropbox and Google Drive.

Dropbox:
 • Gpx file of CAM caches only ( gpx* | zip ) — UPDATED 2020-03-21
 • Gpx file of CAM caches and bonuses ( gpx* | zip )
 • List of all CAM caches and bonuses ( pdf )
 • Passport ( pdf )
 • Overview Map ( jpg )
 • All of the above, plus pdfs of the cache pages, all in one zip archive ( zip )
      (contains gpx files, list, passport, map, and cache pages)

Google Drive:
 • Gpx file of CAM caches only ( gpx* | zip ) — UPDATED 2020-03-21
 • Gpx file of CAM caches and bonuses ( gpx* | zip )
 • List of all CAM caches and bonuses ( pdf )
 • Passport ( pdf )
 • Overview Map ( jpg )
 • All of the above, plus pdfs of the cache pages, all in one zip archive ( zip )
      (contains gpx files, list, passport, map, and cache pages)

* Your operating system may try to send you the .gpx file as a text or xml file, in which case it may not load properly on your device. If you see a ‘.txt’ or ‘.xml’ extension at the end of the file name, simply change it to ‘.gpx’ and the file should work. For best results, download the .zip file instead.

If you have difficulty downloading the files, contact tazscouter at [email=president@mdgps.org?subject=CAM File Download HELP!!!]president@mdgps.org[/email] for assistance.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Guides to loading .gpx files into popular smartphone apps.
(The official geocaching.com app does NOT support loading of .gpx files.)

Android:
 • c:geo  ( guide | app website )

iPhone:
 • Cachly  ( guide | app website )

tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

***Update, March 15th***
Cartridge has been updated for both android and IPhone users. If you had previously downloaded the cartridge, delete that one and download again. You need to be running Release 1.7 of the cartridge.

IPhone users may experience a problem with GC8GPWF, CAM2020: Frederick Walkabout. If there is not an android user with you, please send an email to tazscouter@gmail.com with a screenshot of your phone. I will help you out.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

There was a typo for GC8GPW7, CAM 2020: Welcome to Chesapeake City. The final coords should be: N39 31.ABC W075 49.DEF. Sorry for any problems.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

GC8GPW9 Lone Cedar Point

There is construction on the boardwalk. If you have made it to the boards across the boardwalk, You need to send me a selfie of yourself and the coast line as well as a photo of the boards and/or caution tape. I will send you the necessary information. tazscouter@gmail.com
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

Another imperfect moment. The final coords for GC8GPWA: Welcome to Town of Rock Hall should be:

N39 07.DCB W076 13.FEA
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: Oakley Cabin African American Museum

It seems lots are having issues getting the correct coords.

You are searching for N39 AB.CDE W077 VW.XYZ

The checksum for these will be 35.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

This was posted on the front page on March 21, 2020

The Core is keeping an eye on COVID-19 and all of the restrictions. Since something like this has NEVER happened, at this time we have rescheduled the CAM Picnic for Sunday, May 31. We also have an alternate date beyond May if needed.

The picnic will be at the same bat time, same bat channel. But you won’t know where until the decoder comes out.

We have an online meeting scheduled for March 27 and the reviewer(s) will be there as well. Keep an eye on the forums as well. More information will be coming.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

CAM has been rescheduled for Sunday, May 31, 2020. There is another date in the future depending on the restrictions with the stay-at-home order from Governor Hogan and the governors of the surrounding states.

We do know that during these challenging times that geocaching has continued to be an important activity for many people who are using the best practices of social distancing, but still need to get outside and have interesting activities available. We encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching.

If the park is closed, do not go. If the beach is closed, do not go.

You can go for a walk, a hike or play golf, as long as there are no more than 10 people in a group.

If you choose to complete CAM, there should be plenty of time after the restrictions have been lifted.

Keep an eye on the front page and/or the forums. If the date is to be changed again, this is where the information can be found.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The CAM Picnic has been changed until Sunday, June 28, 2020. CAM coins are in hand and the form will be coming out to complete when you complete CAM. I know we have several that are finished already. Be wise, sanitize and still practice social distancing.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The CAM Pathtags are now available! Click the link below. These will probably sell out very fast as it is an awesome design!

Click HERE to order yours.

Password: OLDBAY2020

The MGS has purchased some pathtags that will be for sale individually at the CAM Picnic on Sunday, June 28, 2020.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The CAM completion form can be found HERE. If you have completed at least the 10 required CAM caches, please submit this form. This will allow us to have a certificate for you as well as put a geocoin aside in your name.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

If you missed out on purchasing some CAM 2020 pathtags for yourself, please go HERE and let us know how many that you would be interested in purchasing. Please do this promptly as we will only be collecting responses until Sunday, May 3, 2020 in the evening.

We will be re-ordering these but do not want to have hundreds left for stock.

Thank you for your interested in the MGS and this awesome CAM 2020 pathtag!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The Core is attempting to reschedule the CAM picnic. However, the pavilions in the park are not open and we cannot reschedule at this time. So currently, the CAM picnic is on hold until the park re-opens. The tentative date is Sunday, July 19th if the park re-opens soon.