Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Logs - Deep Creek Lake State Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Logs - Deep Creek Lake State Park

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: Deep Creek Lake State Park

You may post your CAM 2020: Deep Creek Lake State Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Dauchsey
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2020 Logs - Deep Creek Lake State Park

Post by Dauchsey »

tazscouter wrote:CAM 2020: Deep Creek Lake State Park

You may post your CAM 2020: Deep Creek Lake State Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Our second CAM Cache 2/14/20. Rain and snow throughout our trip west but enjoyable caching with the Love of my Life,making memories to last a lifetime and beyond. We found the cache just shy of 7 pm .... can’t believe it was still light out.
Dauchsey
czar7
MGS Member

Post by czar7 »

Found 3/14/2020

This was my second stop on my Saturday CAM run. The lot was almost full when I got here and I thought I had found the CAM crowds. As it turned out...it was just a beautiful day and everyone was out. I did pass a few cachers on my way in...but for the most part it was quiet and calm. I love this park and remember a few years back when SirCurly placed a CAM cache in the same park.

I love Deep Creek and always enjoy getting to stop here. The trails were quiet. It took me way longer to find this cache than it should have. I think my idea of scale was off and I simply focused on the wrong area and could not let it go! :-) Took nothing and left a few pathtags.

TFTC!
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

Our geocaching group, Seeker4Life,
Found4Life, 1Grandmama and I left Delaware early on 3/17 to begin our annual CAM trip. We referred to it this year as our first annual social distancing CAM. This was our second day. After staying at a little airbnb on Tuesday night we headed west. After a little Kindness, we traveled to Deep Creek Lake for our second of the day and 9th for CAM. We had run into MiamiMike on the earlier cache and saw him again before setting off. He warned us that it was a bit rocky with switchbacks. We enjoyed the workout and had quite a scramble at the end. (I am not overly coordinated on flat land.) We managed to come up with the cache. We enjoyed checking out the lake view.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was our second attempt at a CAM cache. Last weekend, we went to the cache near oc that was closed for construction. Today's venture took us on a trail where we met up with several cachers, and a park ranger. She was just tooling around the park.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM#6
03/21
This was our second of two today.
What a fun trail in an especially pretty park. We saw two mountain bikers. Thanks for the warning, they really do fly down that hill!
Thanks for placing this especially nice CAM cache.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

First day of doing CAM, and it is a week into CAM. The CAM kickoff I was confined to home, as we had Chloe spending the weekend with us. This trip here was a last minute plan after yoursunny reached out to me, asking if we should take some risk, and make the trip. I told him, if he was up for some risk, I'd be willing to go, if he wanted to go. He picked Garret County as the location, as up to this day, there has been no confirmed cases of Corona virus in Garret County.

yoursunny said he'd lower our risk level, by sitting in the back, so I got to play chauffeur all day. Before leaving, I cleaned and wiped the whole inside the car and sprayed it with Lysol. We both brought hand sanitizer , and I brought Lysol wipes and latex gloves if we needed them.

We, at least I did, had a long, fun and exciting day. Met others on the trail, and even did some hiking with Buffalo Bob and J Patton. A big thank you to all of the hiders who not only hide the caches, but maintain them. Everyone kept their 6 plus feet safe distance, even in our selfies.

We all know it's not about the numbers, or is it? Here was our numbers for the day.

0 confirmed corona virus cases in Garret County
0 DNF's
1 Highpoint
1 smallest church in the lower 48 states
2 of my caches we did maintenance on
2 new 2020 CAM caches
6 o'clock AM - left my house
8 o'clock PM - got home
10 other geocachers we ran into
11 finds for me
12 times I've now been to Maryland's Highpoint (and I keep saying I'm not going back)
14 hours on the road
19 finds for yoursunny (as I had already found 8 of them)
23 degrees - the coldest temperature (not counting wind chill)
45 degrees - the warmest temperature
348 feet our lowest elevation
410 miles put on the geo-mobile
1,248 snow flakes
3,360 feet highest elevation
30,198 steps
46,248 tears yoursunny cried coming home, saying it was too much, before he finally fell asleep.

As for this cache, we didn't see any mountain bikes. In fact, yoursunny and I had the trail to ourselves. We did run into Buffalo Bob though, as we found a cache not far from parking.

We got to GZ, and as always, yoursunny goes in one direction....or should I say WRONG direction, and I go in the right direction. As always, I make the find. As always, I'll watch him walk in circles, scratching his head, looking at his phone, and NEVER approaching me, while I stand at GZ. You see. This is what happens when you use the metric system like he does. I found it in 45 seconds, and after watching him for 6 minutes, 33 seconds, I finally called out to him, and said it's over here.

yoursunny come over by me saying, "My phone says 8 meters that way", and points to where he came from. I'm not smart, but even I know 8 meters is about 24 feet, and yoursunny was more like 50 feet away. I show him my phone, and it shows 7 feet. I then explain to him that this is the United States, and everything is done in USCS (United States customary system) which is much better than that SI series he uses. Until he corrects the setting on his phone, he will always have a lot of DNF's.

Everything was fine here.
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

Found 3/26

Started today by leaving my house at 7am to grab the two western CAM caches and redo the Frederick Walkabout. How hard could that be?!

We arrived at parking and were pleased to find a port-a-pot available for use :) After gathering up our needed items, we headed out on what turned into a gorgeous day! I recognized the area as a trail that the family hiked during Park Quest a few years ago. For my PQ friends - the one where we had to take pictures of different nature plants, animals, etc and work with the ranger at the nature center to identify them. I digress. Anyway - we found the cache easily and noted who the hider was - we got a FTF with him on opening day! Enjoyed being socially distant on the trails today. There is pretty scenery in this part of the park!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Found 3/18
Great weather and midweek; great caching time!
So, Ill head west and enjoy ski country.
They still have snow/ice on some of the slopes!
But no skiers!
Saw a pic of a bear one cacher posted near here.
But today, any self respecting bear is still catching some zzzzzzzzzz.
Sloppy trails down low, drier once you climb a bit.
Dang, I didn't bring my tape measure.
Not even a geotrail yet.
But the leaves haven't grown yet, so not much gps bounce.
Eventually geosense prevails.
I got a TB to drop so I guess I'll go on up to the tower and drop it.
Then take the powerline right of way down.
TFTH & TFTC
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(03/30/2020)
We piled in the van for a day trip to find the CAM 2020 caches in western Maryland. In a normal year, we would have booked an overnight stay, but this has not been a normal year. We brought all of our own food and water, and didn’t make any stops other than to get gas and switch drivers. We found out about the impending “stay at home” order somewhere around Hancock, and were happy we had allowed enough time to get to both CAM caches. Let’s just say we didn’t stop and smell the roses, though.. we came, we cached, and we headed home. DCL was our first stop of the day. This was my second or third time here, and it was quite surreal to see it so empty on such a beautiful day. Made for good social distancing, though. :D We took the short hike on the well-maintained trail, passing a couple of mountain bikers along the way, but no one else. My son was first to arrive at GZ, and made the find for us. All is well here. TNLNSL, hiked back, and got back on the road towards Oakland. I would have liked to have hiked a little bit longer and found a few more caches here, but there’s always next time. TFTC!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found April 19th, 2 PM CAM #8

We'd been hunkered down for three weeks but for physical and mental well-being we made the one day drive back and forth to western Maryland to get the two CAM caches out here.

The park was fairly busy but with multiple trails and folks maintaining proper distance, it wasn't much of an issue. We made the quick hike up the hill to the cache. No problem finding the cache and signing the log. I had to google Indian turnip on the way down and discovered it was another name for Jack in the Pulpit! Ideally we would have done a couple of more caches but given we had miles to go, we headed to the car to make some sandwiches.

It was unfortunate that this particular CAM cache coincided with COVID-19 as we love an excuse to stay in Deep Creek for a day or two. But at least we were able to get some much needed exercise and we enjoyed the hike up the hill.

Thanks for placing this great CAM cache! TFTC.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Found 3/26

Out for a long day of CAM caching out west with Flaming_girl. We arrived at parking and were pleased to find a port-a-pot available for use :) After gathering up our needed items, we headed out on what turned into a gorgeous hike! Once at GZ, we found the cache easily and noted who the hider was - we got a FTF with him on opening day! Enjoyed being socially distant on the trails today. There is pretty scenery in this part of the park!
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

Found 5/7/20 @ 10:29. Since Governor Hogan "relaxed" outdoor activities beginning at 7AM today, I did not feel guilty about going geocaching. And what a beautiful day it was. Temps began and the low 40's but rose to mid 60's in Garrett County by early afternoon. I was on the only one on the trail.

Cache was in good shape and last found on 4/30. I hit the mother load with pathtags - picking three to add to my collection - leaving many (thanks Mortards, CacheNCarry45 & Shenanagan). I paid it forward by dropping two CAM 2020 tags and two personal tags. Thanks MGS and all of those who placed the CAM caches.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

3/21

After leaving Kindess Demonstration we stopped to get food for the littles. On our way we here we ran into a few hikers and on the way back we ran into SnaggleT and Uff298 on our way back. Thanks for a short hike. We made our way through the CAMP area lol.

#2/10

Coupleocachers
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

I always like to try to head out to the westernmost CAM cache on a pretty day. This year, there was some extra flexibility in the timing, and today seemed like it was going to be the day.

Other than the guy mowing the lawn near the parking area and the offices, I never saw another person in the area today. I thought about picking up a few other caches in the area, but we’ll be having our family vacation here in the summer, and I know I’ll be wanting to grab some caches then, so I only targeted the CAM cache.

Finding this cache completes CAM 2020 for me. Always bittersweet - happy to have successfully found all 12, but a little sad that it’s over. 7 trips, 1249 miles.

I dropped two pathtags in the cache - one of mine, and one CAM 2020.

TFTC!
dsquaredd2
MGS Member

Post by dsquaredd2 »

Found 6 June. A beautiful day after a long drive from Indiana. More will be in the log. TFTC!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

June 15, 2020
My enthusiasm for CAM this year has taken a serious hit with the restrictions necessitated by the pandemic. Jeanne and I have managed to get most of the caches on easy day trips unlike previous years when we've done CAM on several overnight geo runs. We finally got all of them except for the Frederick wherigo and the 2 CAM caches in Western Maryland. I was not looking forward to doing a day trip for those two and kept postponing scheduling a trip, but Jeanne finally convinced me to go and we thought the weather prediction for today seemed perfect.

Indeed the weather was near perfect with no precipitation, partly cloudy skies, but mostly sunshine and temperatures in the cool 60's. After getting the caches on the Kindness Trail, we stopped for lunch which we brought to this park where we had a leisurely picnic. The park had a lot of activity today, but with only a few people venturing into the still cool water at the beach area.

After lunch we headed for the Indian Turnip Trail, which was a little more challenging than our earlier hike. Unlike the solitude of The Kindness Trail, here we had to stop several times coming and going to move off trail for other hikers. We finally arrived at GZ and it wasn't long before I had the cache in hand. TFTC.
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

TFTC..SL...TNLN.... I went to the 2 most western CAM 2020 caches to hopefully fill my western triangle shaped delorme page. I dont think i’ll ever finish MD’s county and delorme challenges, now having a 5 month old. Next week Wednesday i might go after the middle CAM caches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk