Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Logs - Greenwell State Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Logs - Greenwell State Park

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: Greenwell State Park

You may post your CAM 2020: Greenwell State Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Bocco
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2020 Logs - Greenwell State Park

Post by Bocco »

CAM2020 #2
03/14
We only did two CAM caches today, both of which were close to home and in parks we know well.
We opted for the brown trail and the beach approach. The little trail down to the beach had a bit of a secret garden feel, and the view of the river was absolutely jaw dropping.
We had fun catching up Reedkickball and Deepdish along the way.
Thanks for placing this very nice CAM cache.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(02/15/2020)
We took a day trip today to dry-run the CAM 2020 caches in Southern Maryland. The weather was sunny and brisk - not too bad for February, but not quite CAM weather yet. This is a very nice park, and there were a few other families out enjoying it today. We started at the main parking area and found our way to the orange trailhead. Along the way, we checked the beach out, then headed uphill and enjoyed some of the nice water views. GZ had a few thorns, but we were able to avoid them and make the grab. TNLNSL. We hiked a little bit more on the orange and brown trails before heading a few miles up the road for a late lunch. TFTC!
samaurai_xlii
MGS Member

Post by samaurai_xlii »

I totally forgot to check when CAM started this year, what with the National Emergency and all, so I was pleasantly surprised when one showed up just 7 miles away, as the crow flies. As the Samaurai drives, it was more like 20 some miles but we did make it just past the crack of noon on the first day! The sun was shining and the temps were in the mid 50's as we arrived and started our hunt. I, as usual, took the long way that involved a bit of a climb but we thought that that was lovely in and of itself as we got to see the beach, too. It took a minute to find the cache and we signed the log 4th on the list. On day one. at one O'clock.
I can certify this as a barefoot cache; in and out as well as the three plus mile hike we took on the Bond property afterwards.
Thanks for the Adventure!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

Found 3/15/2020

First CAM cache of the day as we headed down from Harford County to the farthest point South to CAM our way back home. Parked at the suggested parking to hike the brown trail to the cache. Took a different way to the cache by way of the beach and up a steep climb. The beach was empty and beautiful at 9am on a Sunday morning. The cache was not difficult to find, but we stood aside and let a mom teach/let her daughter make the find. Thanks for the cache.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 15th, 4:30 PM CAM #2

Today we decided to make a strategic strike on southern Maryland so this was our second cache for the day. Hopefully the straightforward traditional meant no botched or fat-fingered coordinates on the GPSr. We ran into a couple other cachers who we worked with to navigate the correct trails to lead us to the cache.
Enjoyed the short hike and scenic views of the Patuxent as we proceeded to the cache. Thanks for placing this great CAM cache. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

czar7
MGS Member

Post by czar7 »

Found 3/14/202

This was the last cache on a day of almost 400 miles in the car. I started in western MD and ended here before heading back to Baltimore. I got to the parking for the Brown trail around 6:30 to find several cars and more people in the area than I expected. I took my time and began trying to decipher the trails. I decided to go off the beaten path a bit and explore. So after a detour to the water, I took what must be a goat path to link back up to the brown trail. From there it was a quick trek to GZ.

I found the cache and traded a few pathtags before tucking back into the hiding spot. I took the Brown trail out and found plenty of opportunities for some photos. Even though there were plenty of people around, it was a quiet evening and I took my time strolling back to the parking. This was a great end to a long day of driving. Thanks for bringing me to this beautiful park.

TFTC!
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

Our geocaching group left Delaware early on 3/17 to begin our annual CAM trip. We referred to it this year as our first annual social distancing CAM. Honestly, there are so few people out that social distancing is not a problem. We did the Greenwell cache first. Seeker4life and 1Grandmama and I chose to take the beach route. It was very pretty but required quite a steep climb out. Found4life arrived ahead of us and we found the cache with no difficulty.
rjpatty
MGS Member

Post by rjpatty »

Beautiful day and beautiful view. Thanks for bringing us down here!
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

3/21 - CAM #1

With COVID-19 panic in full swing, most places in lock down, my beloved movie theaters closed, a long work week, and being stuck in the house with 3 young boys we just had to get out.

Yes, Geocaching saved our lives this weekend!

This was stop number one. We decided not to follow the instructions on the cache page and hiked to the beach area. Walk up that huge steep hill to get to the cache.

Great adventure and got some great pictures. Cache in great condition! Off to the next location!
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

After making the find at McGruder’s Landing, we drove over to Greenwell State Park. Ran into J.J. PEW and chatted for a minute. The dog and I headed off around the looping brown trail and soon made the find. On our way back, we detoured down to the boat ramp where I threw a few sticks in the water for her to chase down. Nothing like the smell of wet dog on an hour and a half drive home!

TFTC!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

What a beautiful park! Found with Pegasusmoon and Pyro1970 and a few of our bestest geocaching friends. The beach was closed due to state park restrictions to keep people from congregating during the pandemic. I loved this park though! It was gorgeous! I wish there had been more caches to find here! SL TFTC
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Found 3/15/2020

Found on my way south from Harford County to the southern most CAM cache. Parked at the suggested parking to hike the brown trail to the cache. Cache was easy enough to find. Thanks for the cache.
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

The State Parks were opened for hiking so the Crabs and mdfroglover decided to make the southern Maryland run and pick up this one and its neighbor at Magruder's Landing. On the way we found a nice little winery in Leonardtown called Port of Leonardtown. They were not open for tasting, but the store was open for carry out so we carried out. Great to get outside and stretch our legs again.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

Found 5/16/20 at 07:58 - Left Hagerstown with Nomaland at 05:00 for the two "Patuxent" caches. Beautiful sunny morning with temperatures rising in the mid-70's. We arrived at the parking area for the brown trial 2.5 hours later - made a brief detour to the beach head then on to the cache. Picturesque views abound. Dropped a CAM2020 PT and 2 personal ones. Thanks for bringing us to this park.
dsquaredd2
MGS Member

Post by dsquaredd2 »

With CAM being moved in time and space, there is a real possibility of completing CAM and going to the picnic, whatever form it becomes. We have 4 done, 8 to go, all over an hour from home here in PA; i think over hafl are 2+ hours away. We will continue to carry on. This cache was at a beautiful venue on a beautiful day. Once we got in the right place, we eventually made the find. Not having a useful trailmap was not very helpful and we made our way around the longest way around to get to the brown trail and the beach, before getting to the final. We were very bouncy as far as the GPS was concerned. Took a bit of wandering to find the pile and the cache. TFTC!
pbutche
MGS Member

Post by pbutche »

... my second (only!) CAM find. I just did the two furthest south from my and headed back home. I got an idea of what is expected for game play. So let’s see if I can get the rest this week!