Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Logs - Frederick Walkabout

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Logs - Frederick Walkabout

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: Frederick Walkabout

You may post your CAM 2020: Frederick Walkabout logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2020 Logs - Frederick Walkabout

Post by hunterKat »

WHERIGO UPDATE (Critical):
Make sure you are using Release 1.7 of the Wherigo cartridge for a successful Walkabout.

iPhone users were having issues at one particular point on 3/14. Updates have been made to eliminate the iOS incompatibility, so now all users - iOS, Android and GPS platforms - are impacted if your last download was on 3/14/2020.

All users will need to re-download the cartridge as of 3/15/2020 in order for it to work. Just click the same link on the cache page for a fresh download (you might need to delete Release 1.6 from your device first).
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

Found: 3/15/2020

We really enjoyed this cache!! Unfortunately, when we were very close to being done, the wherigo crashed for both devices running (android and Garmin). Luckily, we ran into another group (Pyro1970, Pegasus Moon, and KSullivan that just completed the cache and verified the answer we were using and watched us get the error. The cartridge ceased to show our previous locations/tasks. This was all about 4pm on 3/15/2020. Looking at the message posted less than an hour before, we should have deleted the cartridge and redownloaded an update. Doing this would have caused us to start from the beginning again. Fortunately, Pyro1970, Pegasus Moon, and KSullivan took pity on our plight and helped us out. Thanks for taking us around Frederick, I think it is such a cute city!

Edit: Went back on 3/26 armed with the latest version of the wherigo and gave it another go. Go through the whole cartridge easily this time only to find the cemetery closed at 5:15pm. After a short anxiety attack, we calmly determined that only the side gates are locked at 5pm. The main gate is open later :)
Last edited by flamingo_girl on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

Our geocaching group, Seeker4Life,
Found4Life, 1Grandmama and I left Delaware early on 3/17 to begin our annual CAM trip. We referred to it this year as our first annual social distancing CAM. Honestly, there are so few people out that social distancing is not a problem. This was our fourth of the day and 7th for CAM. Half of our group was using Android devices and found the Whereyougo not functional. The others with iPhones were fine so we just tagged along. We made our way through the questions and found the cache pretty easily. This was a pretty location. It seemed a shame that all the nice restaurants and shops were closed because of the virus.
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

I have not been able to load the Wherigo cartridge onto my iPhone from a PC. I have 3 PCs, two running Windows 10 and one running Windows Vista. Microsoft activesync will not load onto either operating system. Anybody have any suggestions. I have no trouble downloading published cartridges into the iPhone, but this one is not published.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

MARYLANDCrab wrote:I have not been able to load the Wherigo cartridge onto my iPhone from a PC. I have 3 PCs, two running Windows 10 and one running Windows Vista. Microsoft activesync will not load onto either operating system. Anybody have any suggestions. I have no trouble downloading published cartridges into the iPhone, but this one is not published.
I went through a complicated Texas two-step of downloading it by clicking on the link in the PDF file on my home computer, then uploading it to Google Drive, which is visible from my phone. Probably easier ways, but that worked for me. And I just did the Wherigo today, so I got something right!
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Spent a bunch of time wandering around an eerily deserted downtown Frederick. Seems like COVID-19 really is keeping people off the streets. The people I did come across were friendly - nobody hid in an alley as other people passed or anything like that. I picked up one other cache in town before heading toward the final.

The cartridge ran perfectly fine for me (relatively new Samsung Android phone). I actually forgot my general Wherigo rule of saving at every step, which popped into my head as I was driving to the final. I had one mistake when my phone auto-corrected the name of the artist, and one dumb moment when I somehow confused 5:00 for 7:00 (Seriously? I got THAT wrong?) but otherwise it just worked.

I parked at the wrong end of the area where the final was hidden. But that worked out OK, because I grabbed a couple of the nearby traditional caches on my way, and stopped to read along the road.

Made the find pretty quickly once I hoofed it to the area!

TFTC!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

With the help of my son, I have solved the cartridge loading problem into a PC, at least for an iPhone. The secret is iTunes. Open iTunes, click on the phone icon and your iPhone apps come up. Click on Wherigo and your Wherigo directory comes up. Open the PC File Manager, drag and drop the cartridge file into the iPhone. I'm sorry I do not have a solution for android phones, maybe someone else can help.
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

3/22 - CAM #5

Our first and only find of the day! After a busy first day and taking out 4 CAM caches we wanted an easy day and we really wanted to do this cache, so here we are!

The new cartridge (1.7) worked on our Android perfectly. We didn't even save between locations.

Today we had all 5 monkeys and my parents. We didn't have Monkey Mutt or my brother out with us today.

We were surprised to see so many different people out and about. I guess people are tired of stating in the house (like us!).

We have a great time today and had no issues with anyone or anything! Thanks so much!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

Completed - 3/16/20
Made the jump to a smart phone since last year's CAM.
Must have had the latest version since the cartridge loaded with no problem.
Only problem was old eyes seeing the text; had to stand in the shadows to read it.
Most stages were straight forward; a couple had me scratching my head.
Alot of homeless sleeping on the benches along the canal; but it was a sunny day.
Not alot of stores open then, less probably now as I write this.
Thanks for the tour of Frederick,
TFTH & TFTC
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

Did the Frederick Walkabout with mdfroglover on March 30 before the Governor's shelter in place proclamation took effect. There were quite a few people about in beautiful downtown Frederick yesterday, but not many places open. Our walkabout took us past a couple of our favorite places, but neither the pasta shop or the chocolate shop were open. We used both a Garmin Oregon and an iPhone to navigate the Wherigo and both ran to completion.
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

After finishing the Wherigo, I entered the code and "unlocked" the cartridge. What does this do? Is there any benefit to unlocking the cartridge as opposed to just logging the cache?
AL's Guide
Former MGS Officer

Post by AL's Guide »

I have found many Wherigo caches and never logged one on their site which is what you just did. I am not really sure if there was ever any reason to log them there and to log them at geocaching.com except for the reasoning that at some point Wherigo and Groundspeak part ways and Wherigo becomes a stand alone caching entity. Kinda looks to me as they have been leaving the door open in case they get booted out. They were once very tight with Garmin and that fell into oblivion. I do not blame them for staying in the game.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

I am hit-or-miss when it comes to unlocking and logging cartridges on wherigo.com, but I don't do many Wherigos, either. One thing to point out is that while uncommon, it's possible to have a Wherigo cartridge without an associated geocache, and in those cases, logging on wherigo.com is the only way to document online that you played the cartridge.

The sense that I get from Groundspeak (from listening to their podcast and reading the geocaching.com forums) is that they are looking to eventually grandfather the wherigo cache type (kind of like virtuals, where existing caches can remain active, but no new ones can be published) and encourage people to use the adventure lab platform instead. Disclaimer: I'm just speculating here... I have no inside knowledge, and I could be completely wrong.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

I believe it is intended to be proof that you actually played the whereigo, as opposed to finding the cache by other means. I don't think anyone actually checks that though!
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
AL's Guide
Former MGS Officer

Post by AL's Guide »

Well, I have completed Wherigo caches and got the code but had trouble finding the actual container with the log sheet. It happened on our first one and it happened on one in Virginia. Also I would like to note that this Wherigo sent me the code for finishing while I was still in my car and had not found the container yet. It did give me the code for the lock but in no way verified that I found the cache. (My name is not on the log because I did it as a "Dry Run" as an officer of the MGS.)
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

AL's Guide wrote:Well, I have completed Wherigo caches and got the code but had trouble finding the actual container with the log sheet. It happened on our first one and it happened on one in Virginia. Also I would like to note that this Wherigo sent me the code for finishing while I was still in my car and had not found the container yet. It did give me the code for the lock but in no way verified that I found the cache. (My name is not on the log because I did it as a "Dry Run" as an officer of the MGS.)
Yep, that's happened to me too!
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3-15-20What a nice geocache! I enjoyed this immensely! Frederick is such a cool city. I believe this Downtown area is what our town aspires to be. I'm definitely coming back to the area to shop!! Thanks for a well done easy to follow wherigo.
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Found on 3/26

Out for a long day of CAM caching with Flamingo_girl out west. WE came to Frederick on our way back so that Flamingo_girl would complete the whole wherigo with me. She had troubles on her first trip here but was able to sign the log. I enjoyed our adventure through Frederick and recognized many sights from a previous days caching adventures here. We got through the whole wherigo around 5:15 and went to the cemetery to find the gate closed. Wait what?! We then realized there were cars inside and found out way in through the main gate. Thank goodness! We were able to grab a bunch of more caches before wrapping up the day and heading home.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found May 9th, 2:30 PM CAM #11

We started this one last weekend but had problems with the 2nd to last virtual stage and ended up locking up the cartridge so we had to abandon and come back this weekend. What I difference a week makes. We went from hot and sunny May to cold and windy winter May. Don't ever remember a May like this in our lives.

All was well at the final stage except my ears were numb. Thanks for the effort on the Wherigo! TFTC.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)