Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2020 Logs - McGruder's Landing

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2020 Logs - McGruder's Landing

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2020: McGruder's Landing

You may post your CAM 2020: McGruder's Landing logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 2nd you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
Bocco
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2020 Logs - McGruder's Landing

Post by Bocco »

CAM2020 #1
03/14
This was our closest to home CAM and is a familiar park for us. It is a great place to kayak.
We did the very easy puzzle and still managed to goof up the numbers, but, fortunately for us, the clear description of the cache still made for an easy find.
Our grandson traded a pathtag for an octopus and was thrilled with his treasure.
Thanks for placing this nice cache in such a scenic location.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(02/15/2020)
We took a day trip today to dry-run the CAM 2020 caches in Southern Maryland. The weather was sunny and brisk - not too bad for February, but not quite CAM weather yet. This was our first stop. Great views from the dock, and we also enjoyed checking out the large tobacco barn. The interpretive sign near the dock had a lot of interesting information about the history of the area. I’ll also be putting this on the list of places I’d eventually like to bring my kayak. We had no trouble getting all of the answers and figuring the final coordinates out. The final was a bit of a bushwhack after a short walk. I’m sure there will be a well-worn geo-trail in no time. [;)] I circled for a couple of minutes before eventually spotting the hiding place. All was well with the cache and contents. TNLNSL. TFTC!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

Found 3/15/2020

Second CAM cache of a very long day. We were able to pull right up to the area to answer the questions and then move to a parking location closer to the final. The park was very empty today, with only a woman with two dogs who left shortly after we arrived. Thanks for the cache!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 15th, 3 PM CAM #2

Today started off better for us than yesterday. Ran into a couple of cachers at the first stage who had the correct solution but must have entered it incorrectly into their GPSr. We compared notes on the solution and we entered the coords in our GPSr which seemed to go in the right direction.

Made the short hike to GZ and soon had the cache in hand. We'd been here before while doing the Prince George's County ADC challenge so it was a welcome surprise to come back today to this scenic location on the Patuxent river.

Thanks for placing this CAM cache! TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

czar7
MGS Member

Post by czar7 »

Found 3/14/2020

After finding the two far western caches, I decided to try and grab the two southern MD caches to end my day. After Deep Creek, I made the long drive directly to this cache. I got here around 4:30 and was glad to see that the park was open until 7. Plenty of time! Arriving at the parking I noticed two things immediately. First, there were a group of people engaged in an activity (not caching) at GZ and there was a car with a MGS license plate next to me! Whoop!

I got to GZ and after talking with the folks there, nice guys, got the information I needed. As I headed in that direction I saw a young man and I presumed his dad walking towards me. Turns out it was FuzzyDave and his son. They were making their way back from the cache. We traded some pathtags and some CAM stories and went on our way! (Nice meeting you guys!).

I made my way to the cache and found it with little trouble. Did a little CITO on my way out.

Later this evening I talked to wife about this location (she grew up in Upper Marlboro). I was shocked to find out she had never even heard of it. We will be back this summer with our kayaks to enjoy the park a little more.

TFTC!
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

Our geocaching group, Seeker4Life,
Found4Life, 1Grandmama and I left Delaware early on 3/17 to begin our annual CAM trip. We referred to it this year as our first annual social distancing CAM. Honestly, there are so few people out that social distancing is not a problem. This was our second of the day and 5th for CAM. We made our way through the questions and found the cache pretty easily. This was a pretty location.
rjpatty
MGS Member

Post by rjpatty »

What a BEAUTIFUL morning to head to this cache with dolly bug pug! There were a few cars in the parking lot, but by the time we figured out the coords we had the whole place to ourselves. So peaceful! We had no trouble finding the cache, and thanks to whoever made the cute magnets!
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

3/21 - CAM #2

Our second of the day. This caching trip was a MUCH needed break from being stuck in the house with 3 monkeys. Think COVID-19 was not worth the risk? The horrors we saw this week would make one reconsider.

So this was a much needed caching trip! The 5 monkeys (with our new puppy), my parents, snd my brother got together for a grand adventure.

This is our first time out with our "geopup" who we have dubbed as Monkey Mutt!

This location was great. Allowed our dog to get her run on! We found the clues easy enough and with major GPS phone bounce we still were able to get the find!

Cache in perfect condition but the container was very hard to close and get a good seal. We have to try several times to get a good seal.

Thanks!

EDIT: If anyone found (or is willing to take a look for me) a little see-through pyramid with a globe inside of it, my son would LOVE to get it back. My son found and lost it with 5 minutes. He is a little monkey and he cried so much when he lost it at this location. As a dad I just have to ask. I am willing to pay for shipping, buy you a dinner, whatever! My son said he lost it in the men's bathroom.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Loaded the dog and some food and drinks in the car and got on the road for Southern Maryland this morning. First stop was McGruder’s Landing. Chatted briefly with a couple of guys who were fishing off the dock. I couldn’t stay inconspicuous while gathering the information and corralling a dog, so I asked them what they were catching. They explained that they had no idea what they’d get because it was their first time fishing here!

I gathered up the necessary info, plugged in the final coordinates, and headed for the cache. Ripley (that’s the dog) as usual was no help at all in finding the cache, but she found the nearby skull and alerted me to her successful find by rolling around on it. I mean, really, what else can you do when you find a decomposed skull?

TFTC!

P.S - MersonMonkeys - Kept one eye on the trail looking for the pyramid with a globe in it. Didn't spot it.
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

March29
Anticipating that we'd be getting a stay at home order soon, we took this as probably the last opportunity to take a drive to get our recreational exercise. We still exercised caution and packed our food and what not so we would not be stopping anywhere. We also had plenty of hand sanitizer to use before and after each cache! I felt almost guilty meeting up with friends, but we were sure to practice some social distancing. Our group was also less than 10, so i felt okay. This was a nice quick one. We decided to also do the letterboxes in the area since we were there! This was a pretty area! SL TFTC
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

Found 3/15/2020

Made a trip south form Harford County to this furthest point south for the CAM cache. Made quick work to answer the questions and then move to different parking closer to the final.Thanks for the cache!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

Or Magruder's Landing -- The State Parks were opened for hiking so the Crabs and mdfroglover decided to make the southern Maryland run and pick up this one and its neighbor at Greenwell SP. On the way we found a nice little winery just a few miles from McGruders called Robin Hill. They were not open for tasting, but the store was open for carry out so we carried out. Great to get outside and stretch our legs again.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

Found 5/16/20 at 09:43 - Nomaland and I departed Greenwell State Park and made the short drive (compared to others) back North. Surveyed the area answering questions. There was a gentleman seated in a chair fishing on the pier. I noticed the cut up fish that he was clearly using for bait. I asked what he was fishing for? He replied, "Anything really" He said he was a catch and release fisherman but if he caught a good catfish, he would skin it and give to his neighbor.

"You're about the tenth person that has counted those fishing pole holders" he stated. I inquired, "Today?" "No, I'm here a lot" he said. I explained to him what we were doing, wished him luck and we went on our way.

Arrived at GZ (so I thought) and could not find it. Had to PAF - come to find out I was looking at the wrong sign and one of one of my digits was off by 2. Once corrected, we were within 80' of the prize and made the grab. Again dropped a CAM2020 PT and 2 personal ones. Thanks MGS! I'm DONE!
pbutche
MGS Member

Post by pbutche »

So a small preface...

This is my very first CAM event. I was admittedly uncertain how this game was played, but I think I”m getting the hang of it. But, I was operating alone and without the benefit of experience. Plus, my weekends were tied up for several months due to Covid issues. But now that I have some days off, I’m going to try and see if I can get this completed before the planned event.

I was able to find this on an amazingly beautiful day. Very happy to have had a nice drive south, and enjoyed the waterworks. The mosquitoes were out in full force. haha.

I’ll see what else I can get accomplished this weekend. Hope weather cooperates.