Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2021 Information Thread

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2021 Information Thread

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2021 INFORMATION THREAD

Subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2020 as it progresses from planning to completion!

If you don't see the link to subscribe to the topic, try again after logging in to the forums.
Dauchsey
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2021 Information Thread

Post by Dauchsey »

Can’t wait to start CAM 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2021 FAQ

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about CAM. Most of these questions have been accumulated from previous FAQs posted to the forum with a couple new ones added this year. Be sure to subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2021 as we approach the kickoff day!

What is CAM?
CAM (Cache Across Maryland) is an annual event hosted by the Maryland Geocaching Society. 10 members are chosen by the MGS to place a total of 10 CAM caches in various locations all over Maryland. Your mission is to find all 10 of those caches and have a wonderful time travelling around this fine state. If you find all 10 geocaches and gather the special code from each one, you’ll earn a unique certificate of achievement AND a free, limited-edition CAM 2021 geocoin.

When is CAM?
It varies from year to year, but the hunt typically begins on a Saturday in mid-to-late-March, and the picnic is typically the 1st or 2nd Saturday in May. This year’s CAM begins on Saturday, March 20th, and the picnic will be on Saturday, May 15th.

Where is the picnic?
The picnic will be published 2 weeks before the date. However, you still need to record the attributes hidden within each CAM cache. There will be files handed out at the kickoff events and on the forums for you to print if you choose not to attend a kickoff event.

Who can participate?
Any geocacher can participate, regardless of experience. You must have a valid account on geocaching.com, and your geocaching.com username will appear on your Certificate of Completion. If you’re not a member of the MGS that’s OK, but you’re encouraged to join. (It’s FREE!)

Do I need to find at least 10 CAM Caches to attend the picnic?
Starting in 2021, any geocacher is welcome to attend the CAM picnic. There will still be something special for the geocachers that have found all 10 CAM caches. You will have to complete the CAM 2021 and come to the picnic to find out!

Boy, there is a lot of driving needed to get all the caches! Can I join a group and carpool?
Of course! Just seek out other participants and form a group. Feel free to post in the CAM forums to team-up and find fellow carpoolers.

What can I expect the caches to be like? How hard are they?
The CAM caches are usually rated no higher than 2.5 Difficulty and 2.5 Terrain. Size is at least a regular. This year there will be various cache types, including Traditionals, on-site Puzzle caches, and mysteries.

What happens to the CAM caches after CAM each year?
The CAM caches are often transferred to the hider of the cache or otherwise adopted out and maintained like any other cache. In rare cases the hides are archived, for instance, if hide permission is granted by the land manager specifically for CAM and only up until the date of the picnic.

Where is the cache information for each of the caches?
Starting in 2021, on the morning of opening day, the cache pages will get published on geocaching.com.

A word of warning: You MUST adhere to any restrictions on access times for the land the cache is placed on. Violating legal land access times will not be tolerated, is illegal, and puts future CAMs in jeopardy. MGS won’t bail you out of the pokey either. We try to put accurate hours on the cache listings, but it is your responsibility to comply with local laws and posted park hours.

If the CAM caches aren’t published on geocaching.com until after the CAM Picnic, what do I do about logging them in the meantime?
Starting in 2021, the caches will be published on geocaching.com. You are able to log the cache but please do not post teasers, photos or other hints.

I care what order my caches get logged on geocaching.com and I log using the real found date. If the CAM caches aren’t available for logging on geocaching.com until after the picnic, how can I keep them in order along with all my other finds during CAM?
Starting 2021, you can log the caches as you find them.

I’ve got this really cool Travel Bug or other Trackable. Can I put it in a CAM Cache?
Starting 2021, you are welcome to leave trackables.

Is there any sort of reward for finishing?
Each person with a geocaching.com handle will receive a certificate for completing CAM. In addition, those geocachers who are able to attend the CAM picnic will receive a CAM geocoin that is trackable at geocaching.com.

If I cannot make the picnic, will I be able to get a certificate and a coin?
Any geocacher who does not attend the CAM picnic will still receive a certificate which can be picked up at a future event, but the geocacher will not earn a free geocoin.

Can I have someone else pick up my coin?
Sorry, you must be present to receive your coin.

Can I have someone buy a coin for me at the picnic?
Yes, once all coins have been handed out at the picnic, the remaining coins will be sold by the MGS officers. You can have someone buy a coin for you.

Each member of my family has their own geocaching.com handle, including our newborn. Will they each get a geocoin for completing CAM?
Every member of your family over the age of 10 who has a geocaching.com handle and found at least 10 CAM caches will receive a CAM coin. Though we do not require it, we encourage families which earn several geocoins to make a donation to the MGS. Selling the remaining CAM geocoins is a way for the MGS to raise money to cover the cost of presenting CAM and other events through the year. Many MGS members with families give a donation at the CAM picnic to cover some of the cost of the geocoins their families earn. If you wish to give a donation, there will be a donation jar located near the sign-in table.

How will you know I’ve found all the caches and I’m finished?
Details on how to tell us you’ve finished can vary from year to year, but it generally involves sending an e-mail to a special CAM Completion e-mail address or submission of a form. It is VERY IMPORTANT to let us know you’ve finished so we can make the picnic as enjoyable as possible for everyone, and so we can have your Certificate of Completion ready for you. Stay tuned to this thread for more details on posting your CAM completion.

Is there anything else to do during CAM but find the caches?
There are often some other contests going on, such as the Best Photo contest, vote for your Favorite Hide, etc., and there are several competitions and awards at the picnic. Suggestions are always welcome!

What if I can’t find one of the caches, it's missing, or damaged?
You can contact any of the MGS Officers at any time to report any issue with a CAM hide during CAM. We’ll coordinate repair or replacement of a hide as quickly as possible so you can make another attempt, but you must find at least 10 of them to complete CAM. After the picnic, please contact the cache owner.

I’m really hungry after all that caching. What’s to eat at the picnic?
The picnic is a grand pot luck and barbeque. A few weeks before the picnic a forum topic will be started where you can tell us what you’re planning to bring. The 2021 CAM Picnic Food and Volunteer List

Who pays for all this?
You do, through your generous donation of time, goods, or money to the MGS. You can offer monetary support in various ways, including the purchase of MGS and CAM merchandise, direct donations, purchase of an MGS Maryland License Plate, donations of items for MGS Silent Auctions, and participating in other fundraising activities throughout the year. Everything goes back to the community in accordance with our by-laws.

I usually get a hotel on the Friday before the start of CAM in (Ocean City, Elkton, St Mary’s County, Grantsville, etc). Can you let me know if I shouldn’t get a hotel room in one of those locations because there is not a CAM cache near there?
Part of the excitement of CAM is the secrecy of where the CAM locations are, so we will not make a statement, “Don’t get a hotel in Southern Maryland, because we didn’t put any caches there this year.”

I’m new to geocaching and I don’t understand how to load .gpx files onto my GPSr. Is there any way I can get help with this?
Starting in 2021, the caches will be published on geocaching.com. However, we are hosting kickoff events to help introduce new geocachers to CAM and to assist with loading cache files onto their devices. The events will take place on Saturday, March 20th from 7.30–8.30am at the following locations:

How can I stay up-to-date with CAM announcements?
If you haven’t already, you should subscribe to the 2021 CAM Information Page on the forums. Scroll to the top of the CAM Info Page and click the ‘Subscribe topic’ link. If you need help, contact one of the MGS officers.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

A few 2021 CAM kick-off events have published:

All events are on Saturday, March 20, 2021 from 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM. You do NOT need to attend a kick-off event to complete CAM.

Mount Airy - CLICK HERE
Columbia - CLICK HERE
North East - CLICK HERE
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

2021 CAM Photo Contest

(This will be updated with submission requirements.)

A photo competition will be held at the 2021 CAM Picnic featuring all those GREAT photographs you've taken on the CAM trail this year! First, Second and Third place winners will be announced for each category.

Categories:
• Wildlife
• People
• Scenery
• Other/Unusual
• Kids (these are photos taken by children under 18 - can be from any of the other categories)

Rules:
• One Photo per Category per geocaching.com username
• The same photo can not be submitted in multiple categories
• Photos must be 8x10, but do not require matting for framing
• Uploading a photo to the gallery does NOT enter you in the contest; photos must be submitted for judging at the event
• The following must be written clearly on the back of any submitted photo:
1. Caching Name
2. CAM Cache location
3. Category

We've had loads of really great photos submitted in past years, and everyone is looking forward to this year's submissions!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

What is new for CAM 2021 and going forward?

All of the caches will be published on geocaching.com the day of kick-off. There will not be a gpx file available but we will put them into a bookmark list. This means that if you go to one CAM cache, you will be able to view and save all of the others.

The picnic will be published 2 weeks before the actual event. This will be in place of cachers having to input attributes to get the picnic location.

However, you will still need to have the attributes. This will produce a letter that will need to be printed and turned in at the picnic in exchange for your free geocoin.

You will also have to complete a google form to vote for your favorite CAM cache and other information that the MGS would like to know.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

We’ve been teasing you for days now and tomorrow, Saturday, March 20 is the big day for 2021’s Cache Across Maryland. A few important notes:

- We’ll start posting information and the passport online after 8am. Please be patient with us; it’s a lot of information to get online all at once. For instance, we don’t have access to the cache pages until after they’ve published. So it’ll take a few minutes to load them all into a bookmark list (and GPX file) for us to share.

- There are multiple launch events where we’ll have print-outs for folks (while supplies last.) If you like to do CAM quickly, those will be your best bet.

- This year a few of the locations have very specific hours of operation; a couple will not open until later in the morning on Saturday. Please be a respectful guest while on the caching trail.

All important information will be posted in this forum thread.

And finally, please remember that CAM is run by a core of people who love geocaching and do this for free. There will be problems and unexpected challenges. Be kind to one another and stay safe out there!
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Cache Across Maryland is here!

- A handy bookmark list with the ten CAM caches, plus ten bonus caches (some caches won't be in the list until they publish: https://coord.info/BM9978M

- The passport and list of caches, attached but also downloadable here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yvnz_i ... sp=sharing

The CAM cache and the two bonus caches at Anne Marie Sculpture Gardens published but the grounds ARE NOT OPEN until 10am.
Attachments
CAM 2021 Passport and Geocaches.pdf
(572.81 KiB) Downloaded 982 times
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

And now, Version 1 of the GPX file for GPS devices, attached but also downloadable here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TT4JJM ... sp=sharing

(note, this GPX file DOES NOT include the geocaches that publish at 10am. We'll post a fresh version at that time.)
Attachments

[The extension gpx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Ok!

Version 2 of the GPX file for GPS devices, now with all 10 Cache Across Maryland geocaches and 10 bonus caches. Attached and downloadable here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SB8MCe ... sp=sharing
Attachments

[The extension gpx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

The Cache Across Maryland Photo Contest is going digital!

Contestants can send their photos to me at: austinauclair [at] patientrock.com.

I will confirm receipt of your submission, so if you don't get a reply from me within 24 hours, please reach out me here on the forums.

We will post all the photos on a special webpage for voting on or after the picnic.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Just a reminder that the attributes/symbols you've found in the ten geocaches will need to be entered into the special decoder that we'll publish soon. That'll let us know to create a certificate for you, and to set aside your free coin!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The CAM Picnic event page has just published. If you haven't done so yet, post your will attend. You can find the event page here.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

The "decoder' is the second form that needs to be completed can be found HERE. Remember, you NEED TO PRINT the coin certificate that shows once you input the correct attributes. You will be required to turn this in to receive your free geocoin at the picnic.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Tomorrow’s the big day! It’s the 2021 Cache Across Maryland closing picnic!

The event: https://coord.info/GC97KMY

Below is a list of things you should bring. (Not counting stuff like bug spray, camping chairs, etc. You’ll have to assemble your own packing list.)

- CAM completion certificate

- Cash for park entrance fee and for the 50/50 prize drawing (We will be able to accept credit cards for all those coins and pathtags you're going to buy).

- Food! Bring your own, or see the forum for what people are already bringing: https://www.mdgps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10203

- Not your dog! Per park rules, pets are not allowed in the pavilion area, though they are allowed on the trails.

See everyone tomorrow!