Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

How to learn about Geocaching-New (sort of)

General Chit-Chat.
bonniecrocker
MGS Member

How to learn about Geocaching-New (sort of)

Post by bonniecrocker »

Hi everyone,

We came from Germany in 2018 and met a group of men initially who seemed really nice. However,we never really pursued it.

We did some geocaching in Germany but we never really got into the ins and outs of it which I would like to do now. For one, I have lost a lot of weight and feel like I am more able to participate :D I have 3 teens who may or may not participate. They did so when they were little but not so much now.

What would be the best way for our family to learn about geocaching? How to select the best ones for our family, the most interesting, exciting, etc.? Germany had some really cool ones and we did a few in other countries too. We did one in a forest where the Germans had built various structures that we found and would push a button and they would operate. It must have taken a ton of work. Are there any cool ones like that? They got really into it.

I would like to get to know other geocachers and get some help with the geocaching so we get started on the right foot. What is the best way to do that?

Thank you, Bonnie
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Re: How to learn about Geocaching-New (sort of)

Post by PatientRock »

What part of Maryland are you in? I'm sure folks would be happy to point out good geocaches nearby.

In the meantime, I had a friend ask similar questions about how to get started in geocaching and I created this short intro: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PMP ... sp=sharing

I hope you find it helpful, and welcome!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

If you can make it, come to the CAM 2021 picnic tomorrow.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC9 ... s-maryland

It used to be secret, and only for those who completed the CAM challenge, but this year it is public.
You won't be eligible for the completion certificate or the free coin, but you get to meet most of the active people in this state.

I looked you up on Geocaching.com, and if you decide to pursue the hobby, my wife and I would be honored to upgrade you to premium membership to get you started off right.

If you can't make this picnic on such short notice, look for the MGS Summer Picnic on July 24 at BALLENGER CREEK PARK, SHELTER #2. (I think that's in the Frederick Area.)
bonniecrocker
MGS Member

Post by bonniecrocker »

Sorry for the delay in replying. Life seems to always get in the way. Appreciate the replies.

I live in Bowie. I am now a premium member. I was one in Germany and then allowed it to lapse. I'm excited about getting back into it.

The article was very helpful, thanks! I will make note of the picnic and will make every effort to be there. I love meeting new and friendly people with a common interest. A big plus is not having to translate. That, alone, would get me into a lot of trouble.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Be on the look out for other events too. There are events occasionally in the Bowie area and a regular one in Columbia on the first thursday of the month. That is a great way to meet new folks and get some puzzle solving hints.