Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

2021 MGS Awards

What's New And Exciting in the MGS
tazscouter
MGS Officer

2021 MGS Awards

Post by tazscouter »

2021 MGS AWARDS

The MGS annual awards are a great way to showcase the exceptional creativity of geocachers across the state and to recognize members who have helped raise the bar for geocaching in Maryland. The window for nominations for begins on the first of the year and remains open until December 1st. Voting will open shortly after the nomination period ends and will remain open for approximately 30 days. Official voting dates will be provided with the announcement of ballot availability. The winners as determined by member vote will be recognized at the Meet the Officers event.

How do I participate in nominations and voting?
Think about which caches, cachers, logs, trackables and photos from the past year have excelled in a particular category, then submit your nominations to marylandgeocachingsociety@gmail.com. Be sure to put ‘MGS Awards’ in the subject line.

THE AWARD CATEGORIES

STATEWIDE
  • Geocacher of the Year
    Which cacher has been the most dynamic for geocaching in the state of Maryland?
  • Geocaching Rookie of the Year
    Which cacher has really jumped on the scene this year and served up notice to all of us that they embody all facets of caching and do it well?
  • Cache Log of the Year
    Which cache log have you read that really caught your attention, whether it be its detail, thoroughness, or humor?
  • Cache Log Photo of the Year
    Which photo attached to a log really caught your eye, be it beauty of the scenery, cleverness, or humor?
  • Adventure Lab of the Year
    Which Adventure Lab placed by a member of the MGS did you think was well thought out? Great location?
  • Most Interesting Trackable of the Year
    Which trackable really caught your eye, due to its unusual nature, cleverness, mission, or humor?
  • Most Traveled Trackable of the Year
    Which trackable went the farthest?

REGIONAL

(Specify one for each Maryland region: Western, Central, Southern, Eastern)
  • Geocache Hider of the Year
    Which cacher has consistently put out great hides all year and maintained them well?
  • Best Cache Hide of the Year
    Which one cache put a big smile on your face or earned your respect?
  • Most Scenic Hide of the Year
    Which cache lured you to a location that made you want to stay for a long time to relax and enjoy the scenery?

ELIGIBILITY RULES
  • Rookie of the Year
    • Any cacher who started caching on or after January 1st, of the award year, is eligible
    • Any cacher who created a gc.com account before the award year but didn't start caching (or had fewer than 10 finds) until the award year is eligible
    • Any relocated cacher who began caching in the Maryland area on or after January 1st, of the award year, is eligible
  • Cache Log of the Year
    • Log must have been written and posted to a geocache in the award year
    • The associated cache does not have to have been placed in the award year
    • The associated cache does not have to be located in Maryland
  • Cache Log Photo of the Year
    • Photo must have been taken and posted with a log to a geocache in the award year
    • The associated cache does not have to have been placed in the award year
    • The associated cache does not have to be located in Maryland
  • Best Cache Hide/Most Scenic Hide
    • Cache must have been published (not placed) in the award year
    • Cache must be located within one of the four Maryland regions
    • Please include the GC code for the cache you are nominating
  • Trackables
    • Trackables must have been released in the award year
    • Most interesting is based on nominations and vote of the membership
    • Most traveled is based on mileage for a trackable released in the award year
  • Cache Across Maryland
    • Since CAM has its own awards ceremony, CAM caches, logs, and photos are not eligible for MGS Awards, however CAM bonus hides are eligible.

THE MARYLAND REGIONS

WESTERN – Garrett, Allegany, Washington, and Frederick counties
CENTRAL – Carroll, Howard, Montgomery, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, and Harford counties, and Baltimore City
SOUTHERN – Prince George’s, Charles, Calvert, and St Mary’s counties
EASTERN – Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester, Wicomico, Somerset, and Worcester counties

yoursunny
MGS Member

Re: 2021 MGS Awards

Post by yoursunny »

I told a CO that one of his incredible caches deserves an award and he should nominated it, but he thinks it's weird for him to nominate a cache he placed.
I wonder whether the nomination of "Best Cache Hide of the Year" category has to come from the CO himself, or it can be submitted by others?
Is the CO required to have a forum account (i.e. they join as a MGS member)?
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Re: 2021 MGS Awards

Post by Sue-Cat »

yoursunny wrote:I told a CO that one of his incredible caches deserves an award and he should nominated it, but he thinks it's weird for him to nominate a cache he placed.
I wonder whether the nomination of "Best Cache Hide of the Year" category has to come from the CO himself, or it can be submitted by others?
Is the CO required to have a forum account (i.e. they join as a MGS member)?
Usually, cachers nominate other people's caches, logs, photos, etc that they like, not the author or owner themselves (although I believe that is allowed).

I'm not sure about your last question. It was a requirement years ago but that may have changed. ETA: I just saw on facebook, forum accounts are not required for the nominee or the nominator.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team