Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2022 Information Thread

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
tazscouter
MGS Officer

CAM 2022 Information Thread

Post by tazscouter »

CAM 2022 FAQ

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about CAM. Most of these questions have been accumulated from previous FAQs posted to the forum with a couple new ones added this year. Be sure to subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2022 as we approach the kickoff day!

What is CAM?
CAM (Cache Across Maryland) is an annual event hosted by the Maryland Geocaching Society. 10 members are chosen by the MGS to place a total of 10 CAM caches in various locations all over Maryland. Your mission is to find all 10 of those caches and have a wonderful time travelling around this fine state. If you find all 10 geocaches and gather the special code from each one, you’ll earn a unique certificate of achievement AND a free, limited-edition CAM 2022 geocoin.

When is CAM?
It varies from year to year, but the hunt typically begins on a Saturday in mid-to-late-March, and the picnic is typically the 1st or 2nd Saturday in May. This year’s CAM begins on Saturday, March 19th, and the picnic will be on Saturday, May 14th.

Where is the picnic?
The picnic will be published 2 weeks before the date. However, you still need to record the attributes hidden within each CAM cache. There will be files handed out at the kickoff events and on the forums for you to print if you choose not to attend a kickoff event.

Who can participate?
Any geocacher can participate, regardless of experience. You must have a valid account on geocaching.com, and your geocaching.com username will appear on your Certificate of Completion. If you’re not a member of the MGS that’s OK, but you’re encouraged to join. (It’s FREE!)

Do I need to find at least 10 CAM Caches to attend the picnic?
Starting in 2021, any geocacher is welcome to attend the CAM picnic. There will still be something special for the geocachers that have found all 10 CAM caches. You will have to complete the CAM 2021 and come to the picnic to find out!

Boy, there is a lot of driving needed to get all the caches! Can I join a group and carpool?
Of course! Just seek out other participants and form a group. Feel free to post in the CAM forums to team-up and find fellow carpoolers.

What can I expect the caches to be like? How hard are they?
The CAM caches are usually rated no higher than 2.5 Difficulty and 2.5 Terrain. Size is at least a regular. This year there will be various cache types, including Traditionals, on-site Puzzle caches, and mysteries.

What happens to the CAM caches after CAM each year?
The CAM caches are often transferred to the hider of the cache or otherwise adopted out and maintained like any other cache. In rare cases the hides are archived, for instance, if hide permission is granted by the land manager specifically for CAM and only up until the date of the picnic.

Where is the cache information for each of the caches?
Starting in 2021, on the morning of opening day, the cache pages will get published on geocaching.com.

A word of warning: You MUST adhere to any restrictions on access times for the land the cache is placed on. Violating legal land access times will not be tolerated, is illegal, and puts future CAMs in jeopardy. MGS won’t bail you out of the pokey either. We try to put accurate hours on the cache listings, but it is your responsibility to comply with local laws and posted park hours.

If the CAM caches aren’t published on geocaching.com until after the CAM Picnic, what do I do about logging them in the meantime?
Starting in 2021, the caches will be published on geocaching.com. You are able to log the cache but please do not post teasers, photos or other hints.

I care what order my caches get logged on geocaching.com and I log using the real found date. If the CAM caches aren’t available for logging on geocaching.com until after the picnic, how can I keep them in order along with all my other finds during CAM?
Starting 2021, you can log the caches as you find them.

I’ve got this really cool Travel Bug or other Trackable. Can I put it in a CAM Cache?
Starting 2021, you are welcome to leave trackables.

Is there any sort of reward for finishing?
Each person with a geocaching.com handle will receive a certificate for completing CAM. In addition, those geocachers who are able to attend the CAM picnic will receive a CAM geocoin that is trackable at geocaching.com.

If I cannot make the picnic, will I be able to get a certificate and a coin?
Any geocacher who does not attend the CAM picnic will still receive a certificate which can be picked up at a future event, but the geocacher will not earn a free geocoin.

Can I have someone else pick up my coin?
Sorry, you must be present to receive your coin.

Can I have someone buy a coin for me at the picnic?
Yes, once all coins have been handed out at the picnic, the remaining coins will be sold by the MGS officers. You can have someone buy a coin for you.

Each member of my family has their own geocaching.com handle, including our newborn. Will they each get a geocoin for completing CAM?
Every member of your family over the age of 10 who has a geocaching.com handle and found at least 10 CAM caches will receive a CAM coin. Though we do not require it, we encourage families which earn several geocoins to make a donation to the MGS. Selling the remaining CAM geocoins is a way for the MGS to raise money to cover the cost of presenting CAM and other events through the year. Many MGS members with families give a donation at the CAM picnic to cover some of the cost of the geocoins their families earn. If you wish to give a donation, there will be a donation jar located near the sign-in table.

How will you know I’ve found all the caches and I’m finished?
Details on how to tell us you’ve finished can vary from year to year, but it generally involves sending an e-mail to a special CAM Completion e-mail address or submission of a form. It is VERY IMPORTANT to let us know you’ve finished so we can make the picnic as enjoyable as possible for everyone, and so we can have your Certificate of Completion ready for you. Stay tuned to this thread for more details on posting your CAM completion.

Is there anything else to do during CAM but find the caches?
There are often some other contests going on, such as the Best Photo contest, vote for your Favorite Hide, etc., and there are several competitions and awards at the picnic. Suggestions are always welcome!

What if I can’t find one of the caches, it's missing, or damaged?
You can contact any of the MGS Officers at any time to report any issue with a CAM hide during CAM. We’ll coordinate repair or replacement of a hide as quickly as possible so you can make another attempt, but you must find at least 10 of them to complete CAM. After the picnic, please contact the cache owner.

I’m really hungry after all that caching. What’s to eat at the picnic?
The picnic is a grand pot luck and barbeque. A few weeks before the picnic a forum topic will be started where you can tell us what you’re planning to bring. The 2022 CAM Picnic Food and Volunteer List can be found HERE.

Who pays for all this?
You do, through your generous donation of time, goods, or money to the MGS. You can offer monetary support in various ways, including the purchase of MGS and CAM merchandise, direct donations, purchase of an MGS Maryland License Plate, donations of items for MGS Silent Auctions, and participating in other fundraising activities throughout the year. Everything goes back to the community in accordance with our by-laws.

I usually get a hotel on the Friday before the start of CAM in (Ocean City, Elkton, St Mary’s County, Grantsville, etc). Can you let me know if I shouldn’t get a hotel room in one of those locations because there is not a CAM cache near there?
Part of the excitement of CAM is the secrecy of where the CAM locations are, so we will not make a statement, “Don’t get a hotel in Southern Maryland, because we didn’t put any caches there this year.”

I’m new to geocaching and I don’t understand how to load .gpx files onto my GPSr. Is there any way I can get help with this?
Starting in 2021, the caches will be published on geocaching.com. However, we are hosting kickoff events to help introduce new geocachers to CAM and to assist with loading cache files onto their devices. The events will take place on Saturday, March 19th from 7.30–8.30am at several locations around the State of Maryland.

How can I stay up-to-date with CAM announcements?
If you haven’t already, you should subscribe to the 2022 CAM Information Page on the forums. Scroll to the top of the CAM Info Page and click the ‘Subscribe topic’ link. If you need help, contact one of the MGS officers.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2022 Information Thread

Post by PatientRock »

The 2022 Cache Across Maryland (CAM) kick-off events are live! Join fellow Maryland geocachers in a countdown to the publishing of the ten special CAM geocaches:

* Harford County: https://coord.info/GC9MZ37
* Washington County: https://coord.info/GC9MZ3A
* Prince George's County: https://coord.info/GC9MZ3C
* Wicomico County: https://coord.info/GC9N83F
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Will there be a teaser map published this year?
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
Basssax
MGS Member

Post by Basssax »

BassSax here...Question - if I don't attend a CAM kickoff event , where will I be able to download the coordinates for the 10 CAM Caches?
Thanks
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

if I don't attend a CAM kickoff event , where will I be able to download the coordinates for the 10 CAM Caches?
The CAM geocaches will be published publicly like regular geocaches, but we'll also share a bookmark list, as well as a GPX file. Those all will be published here in this thread sometime after 8am on Saturday, March 19.

Thanks for joining us!
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

The Cache Across Maryland Photo Contest is back for 2022! While you're on the CAM trail keep an eye out for opportunities.

The categories:

• Wildlife
• People
• Scenery
• Other/Unusual
• Photos taken by kids (Under 18. Can be any category.)

Rules:

• One photo per category per geocaching.com username.
• The same photo may not be submitted for multiple categories.
• Along with your photo, you must submit your geocaching name, the CAM location where the photo was taken, and which category it's being entered into.

Send your photos to MGS Public Relations Officer PatientRock at (austinauclair [at] patientrock.com). He'll confirm receipt of your submission within 24 hours.

After the picnic we'll post a poll for voting!
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Cache Across Maryland 2022 has begun!

* Passport: https://bit.ly/2022_cam_passport
* GPX file: https://bit.ly/2022_cam_gpx
* Bookmark list: https://coord.info/BMATMEC

We highly recommend printing the passport in color. Note, for the first time this passport has "negative" geocaching attributes. Please pay special attention to the attributes you find in each geocache. Also, this CAM features our first-ever Earthcache! As per usual Earthcache procedure, message your answers to the mdgps account on geocaching.com to be able to log the find. You'll receive the attribute from us within 48 hours.
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

Two bonuses listed on the sheet that was passed out at Kickoff have bad GC numbers: NWMA Bonus 2 and NWMA Bonus 3. Can you provide the correct GC codes here please?
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

For the Suitland Bog location, please note the updated parking waypoint. Park at the community center and take the lovely walk from the trailhead (also noted as a waypoint.)
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

hunterKat wrote:Two bonuses listed on the sheet that was passed out at Kickoff have bad GC numbers: NWMA Bonus 2 and NWMA Bonus 3. Can you provide the correct GC codes here please?
Actually, there was a problem with the caches themselves. The CO and the reviewer are talking it through and will be updated soon.
BettyBronco
MGS Member

Post by BettyBronco »

Hello everyone, this is our second CAM. What exactly is a "negative" attribute? When we find the cache is it only one attribute that we record? Thanks.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

BettyBronco wrote:Hello everyone, this is our second CAM. What exactly is a "negative" attribute? When we find the cache is it only one attribute that we record? Thanks.
Attributes are mostly positive but some can be negative.
Example
poison plants is a positive attribute indicating that you need to pay attention for poison ivy\oak\etc.
24\7 with a red slash through it is a negative attribute indicating it is not available at all times.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

BettyBronco wrote:Hello everyone, this is our second CAM. What exactly is a "negative" attribute? When we find the cache is it only one attribute that we record? Thanks.
Welcome back to CAM! They're attributes, but with the red "slash" through them. Like the attached.
Attachments
campfires-yes.png
campfires-yes.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
campfires-no.png
campfires-no.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
BettyBronco
MGS Member

Post by BettyBronco »

Good morning, what is the last day to submit the completed passport in order to receive the CAM 2022 coin at the picnic?
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

BettyBronco wrote:Good morning, what is the last day to submit the completed passport in order to receive the CAM 2022 coin at the picnic?
Ideally by Thursday, May 12 to make our bookkeeping easier.
strollinghobbit
MGS Member

Post by strollinghobbit »

Is there full URL for the passport??

I am not able to get to Passport: https://bit.ly/2022_cam_passport, it wont load for me.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

strollinghobbit wrote:Is there full URL for the passport??

I am not able to get to Passport: https://bit.ly/2022_cam_passport, it wont load for me.
Sure thing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSbX3F ... K_MJL/view

(Short links like that are case sensitive, etc.)
marylandramblers
MGS Member

Post by marylandramblers »

I'm a little worried about being able to read the four letter name for the Rock Maze Trail CAM cache- are these clearly legible?
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

marylandramblers wrote:I'm a little worried about being able to read the four letter name for the Rock Maze Trail CAM cache- are these clearly legible?
Feel free to send mdgps a message via geocaching.com if you need help on the scene-- I'm currently monitoring the account (use their messaging system, NOT email). You may also text me personally (I'm spelling out my phone number because I get enough spam phone calls as it is): two-four-zero-six-eight-seven-four-eight-three-nine.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Please note the special event that has Robinson Nature Center closed (unless you have a ticket) for part of the days this weekend: https://www.howardcountymd.gov/robinson ... tots-1-yrs