Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Garmin Dakota20

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
Satch47
MGS Member

Garmin Dakota20

Post by Satch47 »

I have a Garmin Dakota 20 GPS that's about 6 years old (I guess). I also use a Mac desktop computer with OS Monterey 12.3.1. I always load Geocaches into my GPS one at a time which is no problem for me since I'm a "Light Weight" :D cacher. Here lately it seems to take forever for the Garmins info to load. And after it does load and I put more caches into it, it does not want to eject from the computer connection. (FYI: I religiously remove old caches so there is not an abundance of junk on the GPS).
Also, I can not load caches directly from Groundspeak. I have to use iCaching to load them. I thought years ago I could load directly from Groundspeak. Has this changed or am I dreaming? Should I be able to load caches on to my GPS directly from Groundspeak?
Thanks for any help.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Re: Garmin Dakota20

Post by PatientRock »

Not sure what it's like on a Mac, but do you have their software, "Garmin Express" installed?
Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

PatientRock wrote:Not sure what it's like on a Mac, but do you have their software, "Garmin Express" installed?
Yes I do.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

There may be something going on specifically with your device (double check that everything about the device is up to date when you view the device in the Garmin Express software, I guess).

I'm not sure about loading individual geocaches. As someone who mostly uses "Lists" on the geocaching website, you can definitely load lists via Garman Express pretty easily. I have a list I called "Active Hunt" I use for whatever handful of geocaches I'm going after today. I just delete everything in it when I'm done and ready to plan the next mini-trip.

You can load lists via the list page by clicking the three dots in the list row and then selecting "Send to Garmin", or if you're in the page for that specific list, there's an icon for that action. After you do either, the browser will ask for permission to load Garmin Express.
Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

Thanks PatientRock. I'm going to play around with it today and see what I can do. I can't remember the last time I did an update on my Dakota if I ever did one at all. I'll try that first.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I have never used a Dakota. When it is plugged into your computer can you see it in your computer’s file structure? That is how the Garmin GPSMap units work. If so, you can run a pocket query and load that GPX in the Garmin/GPX folder and you should be able to see the caches on your Dakota after you unplug it and restart it.
Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

littleblkdog wrote:I have never used a Dakota. When it is plugged into your computer can you see it in your computer’s file structure? That is how the Garmin GPSMap units work. If so, you can run a pocket query and load that GPX in the Garmin/GPX folder and you should be able to see the caches on your Dakota after you unplug it and restart it.
Yes I can see it listed. There’s also a sub folder listed that’s called “ No Name”. Nothing in it.
I can not load files (geocaches) directly from the Geocaching app in to my GPS. I first have to assign the particular cache(s) to a list. Then I have to go to the iCaching app. and load them from there on to my GPS.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

If you can see that folder on your Garmin then you can run a pocket query to load your gps. Once the query is done you can then download it from the Geocaching site. There will be two files, one will be just the name of the pocket query and the name of the pocket query plus the word waypoints. You can download those files in a zip file from the Geocaching site, unzip them, and then save them into that folder, the Garman/GPS folder, on your Dakota. Once it’s saved then you can eject your Dakota from your computer and then reboot it. Once it boots again you should be able to see those geocaches. Your can also run a list as a pocket query.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

[quote="littleblkdog"]If you can see that folder on your Garmin then you can run a pocket query to load your gps. Once the query is done you can then download it from the Geocaching site. There will be two files, one will be just the name of the pocket query and the name of the pocket query plus the word waypoints. You can download those files in a zip file from the Geocaching site, unzip them, and then save them into that folder, the Garman/GPS folder, on your Dakota. Once it’s saved then you can eject your Dakota from your computer and then reboot it. Once it boots again you should be able to see those geocaches. Your can also run a list as a pocket query.

OK. I just created a PQ for some caches around my daughter's house. As a test, I only checked off four to download. I had to check a box to prove I wasn't a robot and then I clicked the box that said download waypoints. But from here I'm lost. I don't know to where they downloaded. I can't find them.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

That should skip some of the steps I mentioned and directly load a .GPX file with the GC code as the name for each of the caches you selected in the Garmin/GPX directory.

Satch47
MGS Member

Post by Satch47 »

[quote="littleblkdog"]That should skip some of the steps I mentioned and directly load a .GPX file with the GC code as the name for each of the caches you selected in the Garmin/GPX directory.

I managed to make it work !! right through the Geocaching app. But I like using the iCaching app better. Maybe because I'm used to it. Anyway. Thanks for all your input and help littleblkdog. I appreciate it. Now all I have to figure out is why my Garmin Dakota doesn't want to disconnect from my computer :thinking:
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Glad it worked out for you!