Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Off The Beaten Path

Bocco
MGS Member

Off The Beaten Path

Post by Bocco »

GC1G9T8 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ddb59fcf8d

This cache is nearly a drive-up if you can find the correct approach which is a drive through one of the most beautiful farm parks in Southern Maryland. It took us a couple of tries to figure out the best way to get to the cache. We found a park entrance off of Aquasco Farm Road 2.43 miles from stage one. The road is a well maintained dirt road for most of the way, and it winds around barns and corn fields. You have to turn off of the main road to get to the cache, and that road is less maintained, but entirely passable using 2 wheel drive as long as the weather is dry. We missed the turn off the first go-round, but when we turned back we spotted it. We aren't experienced off road enthusiasts, so this was an exciting drive for us. It is the first time we have ever driven through the woods, and it was really cool. The road has high grass, but we didn't have any trouble driving it in a Ford Explorer Sport Track.
Stage one is located at two monuments which seem to be almost in the middle of nowhere. It was a real surprise to see them there at the wood line. After finding stage one you get to continue driving right into the woods to get to stage 2. We were a little worried about whether the road would continue, but it did and then it ended in a loop, so we didn't have to turn around to get back.
The 150 acre farm seems to be very secluded and we only saw two other vehicles while we were there (both belonged to bow hunters who were scouting). There are several roads that wind around the park, including one that goes all the way down to the river.
We really enjoyed being able to drive around the farm. We saw a lot of wildlife, including several herds of deer, and the views of the fields are really beautiful.
TurtleCreek
MGS Member

Re: Off The Beaten Path

Post by TurtleCreek »

Thank you for the review. I saw this pop up this AM, and wanted to go for it to so bad! I just knew that I was going to be in for a doosey of a day at work. (and I was right)

After reading your review, I know the entire family would like this adventure. I'll be checking on Bow season reg's and plan around that.
Randy

Garmin 60CSx
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

It's a really neat cache - I just wish that I'd remembered to bring the camera.
richeym1
Former MGS Officer

Post by richeym1 »

We had a great time doing this cache this past weekend. The small little pier near second stage is a added bonus.
Except for the chiggers we brought home, we had a wonderful experence. We even saw a fox cross the road while we were chatting with Mac and LaLa.