Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
meyers_6
MGS Member

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Post by meyers_6 »

There is a needs maintenance log on this cache saying it's been muggled and Scott, who adopted it from me has been sent to Japan by the Navy. Could anyone that lives nearby check this out and see if it is still worth the upkeep or should I see about getting this archived.
Thanks to whoever can help and I'll keep checking back here.
Common sense is in spite of, not as the result of education.
Victor Hugo
robert
MGS Site Admin

Re: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Post by robert »

-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
woodysix8
Former MGS Officer

Post by woodysix8 »

I can drop by and take a look this afternoon hopefully. I'll take a look at the log and see what I should expect.
meyers_6
MGS Member

Post by meyers_6 »

Thanks Woody, sorry to see your Sox go down last night. After living up there I definitely have never seen such die hard fans anywhere else.
Victor Hugo
woodysix8
Former MGS Officer

Post by woodysix8 »

No problem.

Went to the area of the cache last night and found that some cleanup was going on with the downed trees. I suspected that they assumed that the cache had been muggled as I saw it in place but susceptible to removal. I went ahead and took a closer look:

The cover was missing.
All contents were exposed to the elements.

I decided then to carry everything but the container out. I'll try to get back when I'm not in my work clothes. That won't be until the end of the week.

Logbook was dry and here is what the last log said:

10/4/08
Great place 2 hide this! was looking @ wood when we found it! took sumthin! Mickayla & Devin Ramsay!

The container is pretty bashed up and unusable. If I can get it out of the woods and work on it, I may be able to get it back in service but not anytime soon. I wouldn't put it back where it was as it appears cleanup is going on and it looks like they are improving the trail...

Most of the trade items were junk... I didn't see anything that stood out as decent swag.

Anything else???? You are more than welcome to solve my latest creations and visit!!!!!

See you on the trails,

Woody
Team ChigTicMo
MGS Member

Post by Team ChigTicMo »

Woody I have the lid for this cache. It is unusable as it has holes in it. We looked around that day but there was alot of activity (youth football) going on so I guess we missed the bottom.

Jody
A family new to Geocaching and having a blast!!!
meyers_6
MGS Member

Post by meyers_6 »

Thanks Woody. I am trying to find Scott's email address and I will just tell him to archive it when he gets a chance. If improvements are being made in the area, I'm sure it's not worth it to replace the cache. I guess it had a pretty good run.

I would solve your puzzles and come down but that's an awfully long drive from Detroit for a cache. Those were fun to do while we were there though.
Victor Hugo
woodysix8
Former MGS Officer

Post by woodysix8 »

Team ChigTicMo wrote:Woody I have the lid for this cache. It is unusable as it has holes in it. We looked around that day but there was alot of activity (youth football) going on so I guess we missed the bottom.

Jody
Jody, go ahead and throw it away. I'm going to try to grab the rest before the end of the week. You can go look at it if you like before then.... I left it exposed.
Team ChigTicMo
MGS Member

Post by Team ChigTicMo »

Nah, that's not fun. I'll wait and see if it can be put back in there again. With winter coming I don't know if much more upkeep will go on in the park. Might be worth the effort to hang on to it and replace in a month, with new swag and such. We can help out with getting stuff for it if needed.
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

If the cache is going to be down, it should be disabled.
-robert
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
Team ChigTicMo
MGS Member

Post by Team ChigTicMo »

They are trying to get ahold of the owner. He is currently deployed overseas right now.
woodysix8
Former MGS Officer

Post by woodysix8 »

OK, as stated before, cache contents were removed earlier in the week.... the cover is accounted for and today I've removed the container from it's posted location and it is now sitting in my back seat.

I just posted a SBA log.... if Quiggle happens to see this and the current owner is MIA for now.. hopefully he can at a minimum disable it.

I'm going to look into rehiding this one elsewhere soon.

Woody

ps. does this count as a rescue mission????
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

woodysix8 wrote:ps. does this count as a rescue mission????
Anyone with free time want to take on the rescue mission project? Set up some insta-notify (I can give a list of coords to use) and keep the list up to date. I don't find much extra time these days to keep track.
Another option is a section for rescue mission, where everyone can keep track of archived caches in there area.
-robert
woodysix8
Former MGS Officer

Post by woodysix8 »

I was only kidding about the rescue mission but that's a good idea Robert... you already take care of a slew of stuff around here...
meyers_6
MGS Member

Post by meyers_6 »

Thanks alot Woody. That would be cool if you got it back out there at some point. I'm sure you can find a nice location to revive the woodchuck.
Victor Hugo
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

woodysix8 wrote:I was only kidding about the rescue mission but that's a good idea Robert... you already take care of a slew of stuff around here...
Started a new rescue mission: http://www.mdgps.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5200
Will work on migrating the old rescues and rescue list to this one.
If anyone knows any that need to be added, feel free to email them to the rescuemission @mdgps .org or robert @ addresses.

-robert