It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 am 
MGS Member

I've gotten a few of the CAMs but what is the plan if Hogan closes the parks completely today as expected? If it is similar to DE there likely will be no time before the scheduled picnic (if that can even be held).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:34 pm 
MGS Officer

Fortunately, the state parks remain open, although all programs are canceled and playgrounds, pavilions, campgrounds, etc., that tend to attract large groups of people, as well as restrooms, are closed. MD DNR's web site has the full details:

https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/default.aspx

This of course could change at any time, which likely depends on their perception of how people are adhering to the social distancing rules. I could definitely see a situation where individual parks begin closing their gates, thereby disallowing vehicles to enter, while still allowing walk-in traffic, similar to what Howard County has done. Something like this would obviously create an issue for CAM.

I can't speak for the entire MGS core, or the CAM planning committee, but the core officers will be meeting in the near future to discuss various contingency plans with regard to this year's CAM activities and picnic. I strongly suspect the picnic will need to be postponed, but nothing has been decided yet. All I can say is "stay tuned".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:00 am 
MGS Member

My plan? Is to focus on the state parks.I have one left and I am thinking about making the drive this weekend to finish it up (what else am I going to do?) as long as we are all feeling well.

I think it is perfectly fine to get out and get some fresh air (as long as you are not sick) but just to stay away from people. I feel that Geocaching is a great way to do that. My wife told me last weekend that she needed this Caching trip SO BAD. My mom told me that Geocaching saved her.

Last weekend we went out doing CAM caches and and we saw very little people, the ones I did see we just stayed away from each other and we sanitized after each cache.