Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

July 2015 Member Spotlight-Pyro1970

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

July 2015 Member Spotlight-Pyro1970

Post by ksullivan »

This month I am very happy to spotlight one of my good friends. Our friends and family shake their head because we both have such an enthusiasm for geocaching. He also hid one of the CAM caches for 2015. Meet Pyro1970.
Interview Date : 1 June 2015
Caching Name : Pyro1970

1. How did you become involved in geocaching. When did you start?
I was introduced to geocaching by Pegasusmoon a couple years ago. I created my account 18 August 2012

2. How did you choose your caching name?
My Geocache name is a combination of a nickname I picked up in high school and the year I was born.

3. How many caches have you found so far?
As of today I have found 1371 geocaches

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I use a Garmin Etrex when geocaching

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
I am learning GSAK to help with geocaching. I do use my Iphone at times but the accuracy is limited with it.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
I enjoy traditional and Earth Caches. I am still learing how to figure out puzzle caches.

Return to Jurassic Park Earthcache with PegasusMoon

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
1000 Steps in Pennyslvania could be on the list of a physically challenging cache. We definitely got a workout that day

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found? Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?
Favorite Maryland Caches . Fish Tacos GC10PT9 at Calvert Cliffs is one of my favorite Earth Caches. I enjoy fossil hunting, especially sharks teeth. CAM 2005 High Rock GCMZVP is one of my favorite Traditional Caches. The Geoboat #36, or this whole series would be on my list of favorite puzzle caches. # 36 required 100 kayak cache finds. I had lots of fun kayak geocaching with ErianC01, Pegasusmoon and KSullivan to earn this one. Out of state I would say Raiders Of Lost Cache and 1000 Steps are on my favorite list.

Near High Rock

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
I was with JohnKatie16 one day and we found a live lizard in a geocache container. It was not what we expected.

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
I have a couple goals with geocaching. This year I would like to have my finds at 2000. I have found 1 scuba cache. I hope to go diving and find more. I'm also interested in doing some of the more extreme caches requiring ropes and rigging. I also want to complete my D/T Grid and my Year Grid.

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I have placed 3 caches on my own. I have 1 cache shared with a friend of mine. I have adopted 3 caches. I don't really have a hiding goal. I like the idea of adopting a good cache when the CO is unable to manage it anymore. Then it doesn't have to be archived and others can still enjoy it.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?
I would suggest to someone placing a new cache to check the coordinates several different times with several different devices

13. How often do you go caching?
I don't go Geocaching as much as I would like. If I could I would go everyday. I do go out 3 or 4 times a week.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
I would offer advice to a new geocacher to have fun with this hobby. Don't get frustrated if you are unable to locate a geocache. Attend the different geocaching functions and meet other geocachers.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
I have complete several CAMs. I enjoy seeing the different parts of Maryland that CAM takes me to. I really enjoy the people we get to see while out completing CAM.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?
I have started collecting geocoins . My more favorite one would be the one given to me for my 1000th find. It was unexpected and really appreciated.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
I carry some geo-tools with me: Magnet, tweezers, ice pick. I try to keep replacement logs with me or a notebook so I can replace a log if it is missing or soaked. I carry extra batteries. I have a can of tick spray with me. I try to keep a couple trail bars and water with me when I'm out caching. Oh, a snickers bar.... not for me.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
A lot of geocaching can be considered memorable. Off the top of my head I think of the first day of CAM 2014. KSullivan, Pegasusmoon and I had stated in Western MD and were working our way back east. We were deep in the Greenridge State Forest area on some old logging roads when my truck engine blew. KSullivan was in front of us and assisted with towing me into a campsite where we abandoned the truck. We marked a waypoint in the gps, called a tow company and gave them gps coordinates and continued on with an excellent day of geocaching. It was probably 4 months before I saw my truck again.
I will say any day I am out with my friends and family geocaching and enjoying the outdoors is memorable.

19. What is your best caching story?
A good cache story would have been when KSullivan, Pegasusmoon ErianC01, myself and 2 friends were out working on the Geo Boat kayak trail. We were up a side creek when our friend paddled into a spider web. She leaned sideways trying to avoid the spider, flipped out of the kayak flooding it. She then climbed onto a small island with the intent of draining the kayak and refloating it. This island was full of spiders. which made our friend do a foreign dance of sorts. Needless to say we all had a good laugh, including our friend.

Amber tries to avoid the spiders

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
I like that geocaching keeps me outside, exploring new places and meeting new people. I like that I can do this with family and friends or I can go out on my own.

With ErianCo1

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
I try to spend time with my children and family. I enjoy scuba diving. I enjoy diving for shark's teeth. I enjoy outdoor photography.
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Re: July 2015 Member Spotlight-Pyro1970

Post by Calvertcachers »

Excellent Spotlight! Thanks so much for sharing.
I loved the story about the kayak trip and spiders. I think I would have done the silly dance too :)
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Awesome write up. Always glad to read about other cachers in Maryland and how they got started.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

These spotlights are some of my favorite posts. Love reading these stories!

The kayak story with the spiders had me laughing heartily. :-D
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

Thanks for the write-up! It's always nice to learn a little more about the names i find in logs. Hope to meet you on the trails or at an event!