Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

MGS Event Location Suggestions

Discuss upcoming events around the state.
Alzarius
MGS Director

MGS Event Location Suggestions

Post by Alzarius »

The officers are always looking for new locations to host future MGS events. If your Maryland hometown boasts a beautiful park with a picnic pavilion, or a nice indoor facility for events like the Holiday Swap, we’d love to hear from you! For outdoor picnics, we require covered shelter for at least 200 people. Ample parking, disabled access, and public toilets are also considerations. Please post your ideas here in this thread or email us at 2017core @ mdgps.org (remove the spaces surrounding the @). All suggestions are welcomed!
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Re: MGS Event Location Suggestions

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

In Harford County we possess a couple of really nice parks. Rock State Park, and Susquehanna State Park. Both of these Parks have a number of covered Pavilions, ample parking, handicapped access, and most importantly a number of geocaches already established.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
Journey374
MGS Member

Post by Journey374 »

http://thebackfarm.com Don't know much about this area but from what I saw from the website it looks like a pretty cool area to have our geo events at. It also big enough to hold 500 or more people
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

I'll put in a plug for Patapsco Valley State Park. I know that a number of MGS events have been hosted there in the past, but it's a great park and is centrally located. Avalon, McKeldin, Pickall, and Hilton areas should all have pavilions that would be large enough.

Piney Run Park in Carroll County has large pavilions, and has hiking trails as well as a reservoir with kayak rentals (and water caches to find).

Also, I really liked the venue for the 2016 Summer Picnic, and so did my kids.
anitajforever
MGS Member

Post by anitajforever »

I have been to the Susquehanna state park camping and hiking in the past and it would be great to have an event there like the fall picnic/ weekend
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

We weren't caching yet, But we did see that the MGS had an event at Greenwell State park in St. Marys County. Its got a nice shelter pavillion with a kids playground nearby. Not sure how many it can hold. But it is a nice area with lots of trails and people can swim in the river.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

We are also looking if your town has an Elks Lodge, a Moose, etc. Or does your town have its own Community Building or another lesser known "lodge"? For example, nearby where I live, we have what's called the Wilson Ruritan and the Wacohu Grange that if you didn't live here, you wouldn't know about them.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

I used to live near here but haven't been in the facilities in a while - http://jiainc.org/hall-rental/
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------