It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 pm 
MGS Member

CAM Cache #5 3/31/19 14:42 - After leaving Fort Smallwood Park, we grabbed a bite and headed to Patapsco. I have purchased a yearly park pass for several years yet still feel guilty passing the honor system box. Arrived at the Paid Parking area and surveyed the sign - getting the coordinates quickly. I surveyed the area between me and GZ and decided to travel further from the cache and find a trail which was successful. Found Deep Concern and Portly Walker at GZ and we traded path tags.

Grabbed McKeldin:Rapids while we were close but I failed to get any other bonuses list (ran out of time). It was also a pleasure running in to GR8Caches on the way out. Surprisingly, I am not sure why we never had a picnic at this location - been to the other side - not here at the rapids. Beautiful area - Thanks MGS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 pm 
MGS Member

Even though today was 20 degrees cooler than yesterday, we ventured out for our 5th CAM '19 cache. This location is EXACTLY what we enjoy most about CAM--finding a local treasure! We spent a good bit of time near the rapids, and then made the loop to collect all five bonus caches. Took a NPS Centennial pathtag and left our 3D printed CAM '19 keychain. Thanks for pointing us in the direction of this park!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm 
MGS Member

Tuesday, April 2. CAM #5, five to go!
Today was the second day of our third CAM trip. We began our day here early, planning to do Fort Smallwood and Beverly-Triton on the way to our motel. We began at free parking, a little surprised that we saw no trailhead signs, and walked to the CAM cache and the five nearby bonus caches. We opted not to do the Earthcache to save time. Walking the trail we encountered BassSax and stopped briefly to talk. We ended up walking 2.02 miles for all of the caches. Thanks to MGS and the hider for a cache in this pretty place.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:27 pm 
MGS Member

April 6
TFTC! After meeting Deepdish while coming down the steps, he alerted me to the bonus cache a mere 60' away. I had not checked them before starting my hike. Deepdish was the gentleman and stayed with me while I found it. I already found the earth cache a few years ago with fuzzy Dave park questing with the kids, so off I went to the CAM cache. I arrived at gz, and did not believe my GPS. It was wonky at the falls, and I didn't see anything that immediately jumped out as the hint but saw other amazing things that did match the hint. Mistake number 1. I should point out that I had a horrible night last night, parenting a 17 year old who is going off to college in 5 months is HARD. I was a bit depressed about the whole thing and my heart wasn't truly into caching. I climbed the hill and sat looking over the river for a while. I called snowsox for some moral support - on my defeated feeling and on the cache. She was a great sounding board and once she embellished the hint with an adjective, the cache was mine. I chose not to find the other bonus caches except for sitting tree..... The view was very calming for me. I am glad I came out this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 am 
MGS Member

I said in my interview:

Quote:
Have you completed CAM in the past?

No, and I don't plan to participate in CAM because, like finding goals, it's stressful.

Yet, I know CAM caches are some of the finest caches in Maryland, so I need to find at least one during CAM. I've been solving puzzles and planning trip routes for the red cap in past few months. He went after all other CAM caches already but I asked him to save this one for me.

The weather is better than expected. Trails are only slightly wet. I don't like waterproof boots but my feet remained dry nevertheless. We started from the free parking and the CAM bonuses that felt like trail markers, toward the posted coords. At the sign(s), there were some disagreements about F but the checksum helped. Then I misread the offline vector maps and hiked the wrong direction, necessitating a descent down a hillside toward the final.

Since I consider the hint as part of the description, I walked straight to the big trees without looking at the compass. After some fruitless search, we realized we were 10 metres away from the coords, and then found the true location of the cache.

Attachment:
File comment: The professional geocacher who skipped #LegDay is having a hard time climbing a steep hill
PSX_20190414_093846.jpg
PSX_20190414_093846.jpg [ 428.83 KiB | Viewed 26 times ]

Whenever I attend MGS events where everyone is talking about CAM, I felt my ranking is at the bottom. Now I at least participated, so I can get slightly higher ranking I guess?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm 
MGS Member

Saturday, April lucky 13 - This was my final CAM cache for this season. yoursunny, lower case "y", wanted at least one CAM cache, and decided this would be the one.

We got the bonus caches on the way in, ran into Shalaknar and Diamondback7 and a small unicorn.

yoursunny, with a lower case "y", took the lead and I just followed him. He was climbing all over this large two trunk tree which had fallen, but wasn't having any luck. I started my search, and I wasn't having any luck. I then looked at my phone, and it was showing GZ about 15 METERS away. FYI: To all of you geocachers, you better brush up on your metric system.

After moving in the right direction for 15 METERS, we finally spot the cache.

The hint says, between two giant sleepers. We were looking between two humongous sleepers, about 1.5 METERS in circumference.

Signed log, and replaced as found.