It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 am 
MGS Officer

You may post your CAM 2019: Fort Smallwood Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 4th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 am 
MGS Member

First CAM cache for me for 2019. I always like to get out on the first day of CAM. Today I had a little time crunch because of an early afternoon appointment, so as soon as the email came, I took a look to see where I was heading. The 2 closest were this one and the one in McKeldin. McKeldin is much closer, but I wasn’t going to be able to drive away without looking for those bonus caches! So off I went to Fort Smallwood Park.

Parked nowhere near the parking coordinates, but it worked out fine because by a lucky coincidence I parked near the farthest away bonus cache. Started the windy walk to the battery. Between 2 of the stages, I stopped to talk to a guy who was setting up cameras and scopes near the pond. He gave me a quick lesson on bird migration patterns, what birds he expects to see today, and pointed out a couple that were flying around. Continued on to the other stages, calculated the final location, and headed off for my first CAM cache of 2019!

I took one of the CAM picnic tags (which I somehow don’t have yet) and left a couple of path tags. Thought I left one of mine and a CAM 2018 one, but not so sure now.

It has begun...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 pm 
MGS Member

Fired up the computer and printed out everything we needed, in the car by 8:20 AM. A quick glance at the overview map told us we were headed to Ft Smallwood Park. At the park by 9 and found the parking lot unexpectedly busy. We figured there were plenty of people here and some of them must be cachers. Quickly worked our way the the puzzle and thankfully the final was close at hand. Got to GZ and amazingly made the {FTF}! Dropped our token heart and took a CAM 2018 picnic pathtag. 2nd year in a row with a CAM FTF. Good times, TFTC!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:53 pm 
MGS Member

3/16/2019 #2310 CAM 2 I took the dog to McKeldin first then we drove over here. It was how I expected it to be, nice but windy. I have never been here. I can't believe a cache has not brought us out here before today. I was happy to be here. Gracie and I found the CAM then walked to the 2 bonus caches.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:20 pm 
MGS Member

TFTC! Third CAMDAY cache :) Our group got a little smaller at this cache. People made different decisions about directions and it ended up just being a few of us tackling this one. Another beautiful location by the waterfront. Breezy, but awesome! Not difficult to find the information needed for the cache, and the cache was easily found along the way to all the bonus caches.